How to Make Donuts Without Yeast Tested Homemade Doughnuts Recipe with Pictures
Can You Make Donuts Without Yeast ?
Off course you can make donuts without yeast. Donuts are one of the most popular sweet treats but many are put off from making donuts from scratch because they think it too hard or that they would need a deep fryer and special equipment like a donut cutter. Worst of all if you have yeast allergies or are not fond of yeast products then you may be missing out on allot of delicious homemade donuts.
Although donuts may be popular in the U.S. there are several varieties of the treat all over the world each bearing its own name and cooking techniques which give them their unique taste.
If you, like me don't have a kitchen aid or similar mixture, don't worry all you need is a mixing bowl, a fork, teaspoon and your hands.
I always measure out all my ingredients before baking.This may result in a few extra dishes to wash but it definitely helps make sure that your recipe has no reason to flop.
**Please note that I have not included sugar in this recipe as I prefer to reduce the sugar content since the syrup that the donuts are dipped into will contain a considerable amount of sugar. You may however add your desired amount of sugar into the recipe.
What Do You Need To Make Donuts Without Yeast
This recipe requires egg instead of yeast. Egg combined with baking powder will give the yeast less donut its soft fluffy texture. Don't forget to add the vanilla this give your donuts a sweet rather than eggy smell. You can also add 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon or ground nutmeg for added flavor.
Ingredients for Donuts without Yeast
2 ¼ cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 tablespoons butter/margarine
½ cup of water
1 teaspoon. ground nutmeg (optional)
1/2 teaspoon. ground cinnamon (optional)
Salt depending on your personal preference
Oil for frying
Tip: The amonut of oil required will vary depending on the size of pot you use. The donut should sit within the line of the oil to ensure that it cooks thoroughly. In order to reduce the oil consumption it will be better to use a heavy based deep fan for frying. Not only is a deep pan safe but you will also require less oil to fry the donuts.
How To Make Donuts Without Yeast
Method for Donuts without Yeast
- Sift the dry ingredients .Begin with the flour, add the baking powder and salt together. Don't forget to add the cinnamon and nutmeg.
2. Rub in the butter into the flour mixture, then mix until the butter and flour form a fine crumb like texture. If you have a mixer this may simply the process if not dont worry you can just as easily mix butter and flour by using a butter knife or your hands. In this recipe i have used my hands.
3. Add the beaten egg into the flour/butter mixture. Slowly add the water into the mixture
4. Mix the dough until it is not sticky. Mix until you have wiped the mixing bowl of all excess dough.
5. Let the dough rest at room temperature for about 2 hours. You and cover the bowl with a lid or simply place the inverted mixing bowl over the dough.
6. Shape your donut dough then fry until golden brown.
Soft Fluffy Perfect Donuts Without Yeast
How to Shape Donuts without Yeast
- Roll your donuts into desired shapes. Just like normal yeast donut dough the donut without yeast dough can be moulded into a donut maker or simply rolled into shape by hand. I usually roll my donuts by hand. Off course the disadvantage of this method is that you may end up with an inconstant shape. For a more professional look you can opt for doughnut pans or try to make them yourself.
Start by taking small pieces of dough. Roll into a ball of about 3 cm diameter then place on counter top, flatten the ball then roll it horizontally to resemble a sausage. Once you have an even length of dough simply join the two ends to form a circle then secure by pressing the ends together. Be sure to secure the ends or else they will open up when you fry them.
Repeat this process until you have used up all you dough then begin frying donuts. Fry until the donuts achieve a light golden brown color.
- Serve hot or cold. These donuts can also be stored in the freezer. To defrost simply leave in refrigerator overnight.
Glazing For Donuts Without Yeast
Once your yeast less donuts are cooked you may dip them in syrup or coat them with glaze just like you would normal donuts.
All images in this article are those of the Author and cnnot be used without attribution. For more details please see deatils at Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.