How to Make Spinach Dip?– A Great Healthy Appetizer
Whenever I have a potluck, my guests always ask me to make spinach dip. Even though at one point the recipe seemed repetitive, it didn’t matter because the spinach dip was highly requested. Spinach dip is so healthy and delicious that even people who hate the sour cream and mayonnaise combination will love it! If you have never tried this recipe before, try it once and you will be amazed at the wonderful taste. Spinach dip can also be served with a variety of finger foods such as a tray of vegetables or assorted chips (my favorite is to toast it on some sourdough bread).
Here how you make spinach dip:
1 package (10 oz.) chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 16 oz. sour cream(Fat free)
1 cup mayonnaise(Fat Free)
1 pkg. Knorr Swiss dried vegetable soup mix ( package has recipe on the back)
1.8 oz. can water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped. 3 green onions, finely chopped
First you need to thaw chopped spinach in microwave. Then squeezed dry the spinach. Now mix together spinach, sour cream, mayonnaise, soup mix, water chestnuts, and green onions in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate it, at least for 2 hours. Blend well before serving.You can serve it with sourdough bread, crackers or vegetable sticks.This healthy appetizer is perfect for any occasion, large or small gatherings.
More Spinach Recipes
1. Sauteed Spinach:
Saute 1 cloves of minced garlic in ½ tablespoon of olive oil for 2-3 minutes. Then stir in 1 bunch of spinach. Stir until spinach begins to soften, season with sea salt and pepper and squeeze the juice of lemon over it. This makes 2 serving and contains 74 calories in each serving.
2. Scrambled Egg:
Cook 1 bunch of spinach until it softens. Then beat 2 eggs, season with salt, pepper & ½ spoon olive oil and add to skillet. Scramble it. Now add cooked spinach and blend it good. This makes 1 serving and contains 119 calories.
3. Spinach with Potato(Indian style)
- Chopped spinach 2 bunch
- 2 cut potatoes in pieces
- 3 garlic pods cut in small pieces
- Small piece of ginger
- 2 green chilies
- 1tsp of cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Salt to taste
In medium pan add garlic, ginger, green chilies and one teaspoon of olive oil. Cook for 2 minutes then add chopped potatoes.Cook potatoes until golden brown. Add turmeric, cumin powder salt and mix them well. Add spinach and cook for another 5 to 8 minutes. This recipe goes well with rice,wheat tortilla or Naan.
Health benefit of Spinach:
- It contains only 2% fat per bunch making it an ideal vegetable or low fat food
- Fiber found in one bunch makes 20-30% of your daily value of fiber and helps in digestion, prevents constipation, maintains low blood sugar.
- Contain Vitamin A, C and K, foliate, vitamins E, B6, beta-carotene, manganese, zinc and selenium, all serve as powerful antioxidants that combat the onset of osteoporosis, atherosclerosis and high blood pressure.
- Contain minerals like Calcium, iron (54%), magnesium (67%), potassium (54%) and manganese (152%).
- Spinach also protects you against many weight-related problems.
- Vitamin K in spinach, enhances nervous system health and improves brain functions and bone health.
- Packed with antioxidant that reduces blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes and stroke.
- Antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin are especially plentiful in spinach and protect the eye from cataracts and age-related macular degeneration.
- The high amount of vitamin A in spinach also promotes healthy skin by allowing for proper moisture retention in the epidermis, thus fighting psoriasis, acne and even wrinkles.
There are so many health benefits associated with spinach. All you need to know is how to introduce spinach into your diet. How about start with replacing iceberg lettuce with spinach in your salad. Enjoy!
More by this Author
Learn how to make tasty, delicious and mouthwatering Chinese Chili Chicken recipe at home.
Best Hydrabadi chicken biryani recipe ever. Step by step instructions how to make this simple mouth watering recipe. Learn more.
You have not done it in years, tight? Well, this simple exercise is more valuable than you may imagine. Jump rope exercise offers a great cardiovascular workout!