How to Prepare Baked Eggs in Whole Roasted Tomatoes
Breakfast has always been my favourite meal of the day and eggs are a big part of that reason. Whether they are scrambled with a bit of pepper, sunny-side up with ketchup or used to make delicious french toast, I absolutely love them. I have never understood people who refuse to eat them during breakfast, or avoid them at lunch and simply ignore them during the dinner hour, they really are one of the most delicious ingredients used in almost all meals.
I understand the vegan stance on eating eggs and, well, stay away from this recipe if you are allergic but to all brave enough to prepare this tasty entree, enjoy!
- 6 Large Tomatoes, Scooped
- 2 Tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme Leaves
- 2 cloves Garlic, thinly sliced
- 6 Large Eggs
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper
- Heat Oven to 400. Slice the top third off tomatoes and spoon to remove core and seeds. Arrange them on a baking dish, drizzle with a hearty amount of olive oil, and season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with thyme and garlic, to taste of course. Roast the tomatoes until they are tender and caramelized - for about 30 minutes, use your best judgement.
- Crack an egg into each tomato and season with salt and pepper. Remember to season to your taste. Bake until eggs are set, you should not exceed 10 minutes or eggs will taste like heated, eggy rubber. And unless you have a mortal-enemy coming for dinner this would not be something you wanted to serve.
|Serving size: 1 Tomato|
|Calories from Fat||90|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 10 g||15%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Carbohydrates 8 g||3%|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 8 g||16%|
|Cholesterol 212 mg||71%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
More by this Author
Isn't it annoying when your friends or roommates do not share your intense love of coffee? Here is a few ways to convert your mellow friends.
There is nothing more fun than having Jell-O shots at one of your parties. They are relatively inexpensive to make and something fun you can have on hand to offer your guests and their friends.
Some important information about mixing two of the most commonly used over-the-counter medications—Tylenol (acetaminophen) and aspirin.