5 Delicious, Easy-to-make, Healthy Kerala Breakfast Recipes
Easy to Make Kerala Breakfast Recipes
I love Kerala breakfast cuisine. The food items are easy to make and they taste awesome as well. If you are into Indian cuisine, you might as well try some of these recipes out. Kerala is a state in Southern India known for its natural beauty and is a major tourist attraction spot. Not only do Kerala breakfast recipes taste delicious, but they are healthy as well. Want to cook a new item for breakfast tomorrow? Try one of these recipes out.
Pic Courtesy - All pics on this page have been taken from Wikimedia Commons.
Yummy South Indian Recipes
A South Indian Favorite
Buy The Best Quality Dosa Griddle/Tawa and Ladle
1. Gothambu Dosa
Gothambu is the Malayalam term for wheat flour or 'atta'. You can make yummylicious dosas (Indian pancakes) for breakfast.
Ingredients Required -
1. Atta (wheat flour) - 2 cups
3. Oil - 1 tbsp
4. Salt to taste.
Gothambu Dosa Recipe -
1. Mix all ingredients together. Care should be taken not to add too much water. A smooth batter should be formed without any lumps.
2. Keep this mixture away for half an hour.
3. Heat a tawa/dosa griddle and grease it with little oil.
4. Pour a ladle full of batter onto the tawa and make a round shape. Care should be taken to spread this batter evenly on the tawa.
5. Pure few drops of ghee or oil on it.
6. Cook both sides till well done.
Poori with Accompaniments
Indian Dough Rolling Pin and Board
Pooris can be eaten with any side-dish. My personal favorite is having pooris with potato stir fry.
1. Chakki fresh atta.
2. Water - to make the dough.
3. Oil (for frying).
Poori Recipe -
1. Add lukewarm water, 1 tsp oil, salt to dough and mix until the dough becomes soft and smooth.
2. Make lime sized balls out of the dough.
3. Roll these balls into small rounds.
4. Deep fry in oil.
Idli-Sambar-Vada - A Yummylicious Combination
Idli is made more regularly at all Keralite households. It is pretty simple to make and is eaten with chutney or sambar.
1. Idli Mix - 500 g
2. Water - To make the batter
How to Make Idli - Idli Recipe
1. Mix 1 and a half cup of water for one cup of idli mix in a mixie for 1 minute to make a lump free batter.
2. Keep aside for 10-15 minutes at room temperature.
3. Add salt to taste.
4. Pour this batter into idli steamer.
5. Idli preparation time will vary according to room temperature. Usually it takes only around 6-10 minutes for your idlis to be ready.
4. Semia (Vermicelli) Upma
You can make upma with vermicelli too. Pretty easy to make.
1. Semia - 450 g
2. Carrot - 100 g
3. Beans - 100 g
4. Potatoes - 75 g
5.Green Peas - 50 g
6. Vegetable oil - 50 g
7. Green chillies - 3 nos.
8. Onion - 3 nos.
9. Tomatoes - 2 nos.
10. Ginger, garlic, cinnamon, cloves, salt, coriander leaves -- as required.
Semia Upma Recipe -
1. Cook semia in salted boiling water for around 3 minutes.
2. Drain excess water and keep aside.
3. Cook cut vegetables in salted water.
4. Roast cinnamon, ginger, garlic, and cloves in vegetable oil.
5. Add split green chillies, chopped onions, tomatoes and stir well.
6. Add cooked vegetables and semia to the above and mix well.
7. Garnish the semia upma with coriander leaves and serve hot.
This breakfast is made with boiled rice and is usually served with curry or coconut milk.
1. Boiled rice - 250 g
2. Coconut scrapings of half a coconut.
3. Fennel - 1/2 tsp
4. Shallot (small onions) - 3
Pathiri Recipe -
1. Soak rice in hot water for around 2 hours.
2. Drain water.
3. Grind this soaked rice well with fennel, chopped onions and salt.
4. Add coconut scrapings.
5. Mix to a thick dough.
6. Smear some oil in your palms and make medium sized balls out of this.
7. Make thick rounds after flattening them.
8. Heat a non-stick pan and grease it lightly and cook on it till both sides puffs up.
9. Serve hot.
You Will Also Be Interested In:
- Pancakes or Waffles - Which is The More Healthy Breakfast Option?
We all love pancakes and waffles. Some of us love the fluffy goodness of pancakes whereas some others might prefer the crispiness of fresh waffles. But which one of the two is a healthier option?
- Top 10 Lip Smacking Photos of Sandwiches
Some really yummy sandwich photos. Want to try them out as well? No problem, the recipe link is provided below each photo. Feeling too lazy to cook? Then you can try one of these recipes out. They're lip smacking and do their job pretty well of satia
More by this Author
Yummy Indian Desserts That You Will Surely Love!
Yummy kebabs along with their recipes.
Funny moments of people farting recorded on Live TV. Absolutely hilarious and downright embarrassing.