Leche Flan Recipe
Yummy Leche Flan
Leche flan is a favourite and popular dessert in the Philippines. It is similar to a cream caramel. It is sweet and rich.
Leche flan is a must during Christmas, New Year and fiestas. Nowadays, making leche flan become part time job for some family who would like to earn extra money. Since making it takes a lot of time, busy people would just like to buy it over the counter or order leche flan for the Holiday celebrations, you will now find leche flan being sold in the market and delicacy stores or order over the phone and deliver to your door.
Like any other popular dish, there are many variations in making leche flan, but the classic recipe only calls for egg yolk, sugar, evaporated milk, condensed milk and citrus flavourings. Steaming is the traditional method for cooking leche flan, and is usually prepared in an oval shaped metal pans called Llanera and steamed over moderate heat until set.
It takes a while to master the techniques and perfected this recipe but it is worth it.
12 egg yolks
2 cans condensed milk (14 oz.)
5 cans small evaporated milk
2 cups fine white sugar
2 tablespoon vanilla or
¼ teaspoon grated dayap rind (optional)
You will also need the following:
How to make the Caramelized Syrup :
- In a stainless steel pan, dissolve 3/4 cups of sugar, add 1/4 cup water over medium heat, do not stir, just swirl the pan gently, caramelize in low heat if you don't want it burnt. Pale brown means sweeter and too dark means bitter. When you have achieved the desired color, pour the syrup in the llanera and make sure to coat all the parts of the pan.
How to make the Custard:
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the egg yolk, condensed milk, evaporated milk, sugar and vanilla. Use a whisk to mix thoroughly but gently to prevent bubbles from forming. Remove any solids by using a strainer.
- Pour the mixture in the llanera and cover it with an aluminum foil, so that the moisture from the steam won't come in the pan as it will become watery.
- Steam Cook for 40-45 minutes, or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the llanera and let it cool at room temperature. Then refrigerate for several hours before serving.
- To unmold the leche flan- run a sharp knife around the edge and carefully invert it unto a platter or serving dish, let the caramelized sugar flow over the leche flan.
This recipes makes 4- 5 llanera of Leche Flan.
Leche flan is a popular dessert to to eat with Suman (sticky rice) or serve with sweetened macapuno (young coconut) and ube (purple yam), or just serve as it is.
Comments 117 comments
More by this Author
Step by step guide on how to make Polvoron /Pulvoron, a powdered milk candy made of flour, powdered milk, sugar, butter . It is so easy, even the kids could do it.
Cheesecake can be served as dessert and considered to be a sophisticated treat to have for morning or afternoon tea. This is a very easy and simple recipe to make, it is for people who don't like to bake.
Explanations of the different Catholic symbols: these symbols act as badges of faith, teaching tools, and aids on the journey towards an understanding of complex philosophies. Images included.