Lemon Meringue Pie
Lemon meringue pie is a traditional favorite that is deceptively easy and inexpensive to make. It traditionally has a crisp meringue topping which is sprinkled with a little caster sugar before cooking to give it a golden glaze. Make the sweet rich-crust pastry and blind bake. If wished, the pastry case may be made in advance.
- 175 grams of sweet rich-crust pastry
- 1 large lemon
- 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 eggs
- 15 grams unsalted butter
- pinch of salt
- 100 grams caster sugar
- Heat the oven to 200°C.
- Roll out the pastry and line a 18cm (7 inch) flan ring. Bake blind in the center of the oven for 10 minutes. Remove the beans and lining and bake for a further 5 minutes. Remove from oven when cooked.
- Meanwhile, peel the rind from the lemon using a swivel-type potato peeler. Squeeze the juice from the lemon.
- Put the lemon rind, granulated sugar and 250 ml cold water in a pan. Place over low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved, then bring to the boil. Boil for 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Blend the cornflour in a bowl with the lemon juice until smooth.
- Pour the syrup through a strainer on to the blended cornflour, stirring well.
- Separate the eggs. Add the egg yolks and the butter to the lemon and cornflour mixture. Beat until the butter has melted and the mixture has turned thick. If the mixture seems a little thin, return it to the pan and heat gently, stirring constantly, until it thickens.
- Reduce the oven heat to 150°C.
- Remove the cooked pastry case from the flan ring and pile in the lemon mixture.
- Add salt to the egg whites and whisk until stiff. Whisk in half the caster sugar then fold in the rest in two batches, reserving 1 teaspoon.
- Pile the meringue mixture on top of the lemon filling. Spread from the edge to the center, making sure the meringue joins the pastry edge. Fluff the meringue into peaks with the handle of a spoon. Alternatively, the meringue may be piped over the filling using a large star or rope nozzle.
- Sprinkle the remaining caster sugar over the meringue mixture and cook in the center of the oven for 20-30 minutes until the meringue is crisp and golden. Serve warm.
- For orange meringue pie, substitute a large orange for the lemon.
- For lime meringue pie, substitute 3 limes for the lemon.
No comments yet.