Yummy Chocolate Ice-Cream Cake Recipe
The term "ice-cream cake" can either refer to a block of ice-cream shaped to look like a cake, or ice-cream and cake layered with one another to make a single dessert. They are usually served at birthday parties and weddings. The idea for ice-cream cake first stemmed from trifles in the Renaissance period, and written recipes have been found dating back to the 1870s.
Today, ice-cream cakes are very popular in the US, especially as the main dessert for celebrations that fall in the summer months. You'll often be given a piece at "July 4th parties, for example.
A number of famous retailers now offer ice-cream cakes. Friendly's, Cold Stone Creamery, Baskin-Robbin's, Carvels, and Dairy Queen all prepare these cakes for their customers.
Great Value Cake Mix Packs
Make a Chocolate Ice-Cream Cake
A deliciously mouth-watering ice-cream cake made of a single slab of sponge and a lone layer of ice-cream, topped with chocolate syrup and almonds. Serve this at your next Summertime celebration and keep your guests cool and contented.
- 1 (18.25) pack white cake mix
- 2/3 cup chocolate syrup ice-cream topping
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted and chopped
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 1 (8 ounce) container non-dairy frozen whipped topping, thawed
- chocolate syrup ice-cream topping
- slivered almonds, toasted
- Bake the cake mix by following the directions provided on the packet for a 13 inch x 9 inch cake and allow it to cool slightly.
- Tip the cake out onto a sheet of tinfoil and leave it to cool completely, setting it aside for now.
- Mix the 2/3 cup of chocolate syrup, the condensed milk and the slivered almonds together in a large bowl and then fold in the whipped cream.
- Pour the blend into a 13 inch x 9 inch baking pan lined with tinfoil, cover it, and place it in the freezer.
- Freeze the ice-cream for 6 hours or until it has become firm, then use the tinfoil to lift it out of the pan and turn it out evenly onto the layer of sponge.
- Layer the top and sides of the cake with the non-dairy whipped topping and drizzle it with chocolate syrup and any leftover almonds.
- Return the cake to the freezer for at least 2 hours before serving it up.
Notes & Tips
-Store the cake by covering it and keeping it in the freezer. Do not place any other frozen goods on top of it.
-This cake can be made as much as 2 weeks ahead of time.
-Depending on the temperature your freezer is set at, you may need to remove the cake 15 to 30 minutes ahead of serving.
-Use chocolate cake mix if you'd prefer. Don't be afraid to experiment with different flavours of cake and ice-cream.
-If you'd like a little more variety, use different toppings, such as crumbled cookies, sugar strands, fresh fruit, and/or chocolate chips.
Please Rate this Dish
More by this Author
This spaghetti carbonara recipe is quick and easy to follow, and is perfect for those just learning to cook. The recipe guides you through the process of making carbonara, and provides helpful hints and tips, too.
This recipe for strawberry cheesecake is quick, straightforward, and incredibly simple to follow. It's a great recipe for beginners to attempt. Also included is a short recipe for strawberry sauce, which goes great with...
Here is a guide to native Irish fairies. In this hub, you'll learn about them all, from grogoches to changelings, and from merrows to leprechauns, of course.