Italian Dishes - Easy Recipes
Italian cuisine is loved by most people and it is not difficult to follow these simple recipes. There are several pasta recipes to use manicotti to make a delicious Italian dish. Some recipes call for ham and cheese, or spinach and ricotta cheese, plus there is a Mexican recipe that uses ground beef and re-fried beans. This recipe below is great, if you like a good spicy Italian sausage. No one leaves the table hungry.
Manicotti Ready to Eat
- 1 lb. bulk spicy Italian sausage
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 oz.) jar marinara sauce
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (4 oz.) can green chilies, chopped
- 3 tbsp. fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 18 manicotti shells, uncooked
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray 13X9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine ricotta, 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, beaten eggs, green chilies, Italian seasoning, minced parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Crumble sausage into large skillet; use medium heat to brown. Stir to separate meat while cooking, then drain on paper towels.
- Add tomatoes including juice and marinara sauce to the same skillet and bring to a bowl. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Pour approximately 1/3 of mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Stuff each manicotti shell with cheese mixture. Place the shells in baking pan and top with sausage, then pour the remaining tomato sauce over the top.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil to bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour. Let sit 5 minutes before serving. Serve with Parmesan cheese if desired.
|Serving size: 1/8 th of dish|
|Calories from Fat||162|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 18 g||28%|
|Saturated fat 9 g||45%|
|Carbohydrates 42 g||14%|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 24 g||48%|
|Cholesterol 100 mg||33%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Vegetarian Manicotti with Tofu
Quality Baking Pans
The Grip-Rite series delivers. Its large handles make it much easier to put things in and take things out of the oven.
Italian Manicotti or Lasgna
This Italian spicy manicotti dish is delicious but obviously not low calorie. Many pasta dishes do have a lot of calories. Make a healthy salad to go with the dish and use the main dish in moderation. It is well worth the effort to serve this dish to your family. Lasagna is also a favorite Italian food and the recipe below is delicious.
I know there are many people trying to eat healthier and there are many vegetarians also. I included the vegetarian video for that reason. I haven't tried this recipe but it looks good. Which ever way you choose to eat I hope you will enjoy these recipes.
World's Best Cheese Lasagna
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Preheat oven to 375º F (190 degrees C).
- To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Most everyone likes Italian food. Many of the dishes are one dish meals with the exception of a salad. They are not too difficult to make and no one leaves the table hungry.
© 2010 Pamela Oglesby
More by this Author
This is an easy recipe for a delicious Philly Cheese Sandwich large enough to feed several people. There is also another recipe for a Philly Cheese wrap, which is an easy recipe.
This article has 2 excellent recipes for Sunday dinner using pork loin. The first is cooked on the rotisserie. The second recipe is Cho shao, a Cantonese recipe for roast pork.
This article tells the story of the life of Princess Diana starting with her ancestry, then her childhood and life as the Princess. The story continues to her tragic death and funeral.