Milk Kefir or Water Kefir
Milk Kefir or Water Kefir
What is Kefir?
Kefir is a beverage obtained by fermenting milk with kefir grains. This drink is widely used by the inhabitants of the Caucasus for many years and can say that is a tradition that goes from family to family and generation to generation. These people drink kefir instead of water (kefir with water) and make milk with kefir, kefir milk.
It is common to find people with 100 to 150 years of age between the Caucasian people. They do not know about problems or diseases affecting large populations worldwide such as tuberculosis, cancer, acne, weight problems and do not suffer from digestive problems and others. Nobody knows the exact origin of kefir grains but Caucasus people say it was a gift from Allah (God).
Where can I find or buy Kefir Grain?
The kefir grains multiply as readily feed on lactose or sugar, for this reason, it is normal to find donors of kefir grain. It is uncommon to find kefir grains for sale in supermarkets or convenience stores, since this is a microorganism and die for lack of food if it is stored.
Properties and Benefits of Kefir to our health
Kefir has the ability to restore emotional vitality, physical and mental and also a great ally in controlling body weight.
We can list the main benefits of kefir
- Helps eliminate problems stemming from exposure to radiation such as exposure to monitors.
- Help in detoxification of our body of toxic agents such as carbon dioxide.
- Help against nervous system disorders such as depression, anxiety, insomnia.
- Restores the gut micro-regulating digestion, optimal ally for those who made long-term treatment with antibiotics.
- Reduces cholesterol and helps the recovery of cardiovascular problems (myocardial infarction, arteriosclerosis)
- Fight the bad body odor.
Kefir has been used in psychiatric hospitals in Germany and Russia with amazing results. It has also been used in AIDS patients with excellent results thanks to its great capacity to increase body immunity.
In infants and children is vital for the development of a healthy digestive system.
Kefir helps to lose weight?
Kefir alone does not make you thin, but it helps the people who are on diets, reducing the need for sweets and thus make the diet easier. Also to give more vitality and vigor to our body, helps us to exercise more and feel less need for calorie intake. For those who want to lose weight, we recommend the Water Kefir as it can be drunk in larger quantities.
Starting the use of kefir
Do not start with very high quantities. Try half a glass the first day and see how you feel on that day, evaluate your digestive acceptance, the next day increase the amount slowly and gradually, in a month, you can drink a liter of water kefir, and further increase gradually, according to your purpose. The excessive increase of intestinal gas is a sign of very high dose. Sometimes a month without kefir may be good to wait a better time to eliminate organic gas effects that may persisted.
Common sense and self-observation of changes in the body should be taken into account. Water Kefir has some properties superior to the effects of milk kefir. You can take much more volume (1-3 liters a day).
Recipes with Kefir Grain
The preparation of Kefir can be made with water or milk, to make kefir treatments it is recommended water and Kefir Milk as a supplement in the diet.
The ideal is to drink water kefir after ingestion of food to help the digestive system to absorb a greater amount of nutrients and vitamins, but can also be drunk to calm the thirst during peak hours. Kefir milk can be drunk at night before bedtime.
How to prepare the water kefir?
- In a wide-mouth transparent colorless glass container add one liter of mineral water.
- For every liter of water add 2 or 3 tablespoons of kefir grains (use plastic spoons)
- Add 3 tablespoons of brown sugar or cane syrup and stir well.
- Close the container so that insects do not enter the mix, but so as to leave an air outlet, such as making holes in the lid or closing with a perforated fabric or paper kitchen and a rubber band.
- Leave at room temperature for 10 to 40 hours remembering that the hot days accelerate the culture and the cold slow. (Most people leave for 24 hours)
- Strain with a plastic strainer (do not use metals in culture, kefir is sensitive to metal) and store in a container like the one used in the cultivation, storage in a refrigerator for a maximum period of 5 days.
- Your Water Kefir is ready to drink!
How to prepare Milk Kefir?
- In a wide-mouth transparent colorless glass container with a capacity of one liter, add 200 ml or one cup of cow's milk, goat, sheep or soybeans at room temperature, never fill more than half of the container.
- Add a tablespoon or 20 grams of kefir grains (use a plastic spoon)
- Close with a porous fabric or a napkin and a rubber band so as to let in air and no insects.
- Leave to ferment between 12 and 24 hours.
- Stir gently with a plastic spoon to mix and be easier to strain.
- Strain with a plastic strainer (never squeeze the seeds) and store in a container like the one used in the cultivation, storage in a refrigerator for a maximum period of 5 days.
When do I know that my Kefir died?
Kefir can die if you do not proper care as already said. You know he died because the culture presents an unpleasant odor, like something rotten in this case the grains are rotting and should not be consumed.
Reusing Kefir grains
The grains are not only reusable but also reproduce, in optimal conditions can double their number in 30 days. After straining the culture must place the beans in a new culture. For a good preservation grains should be washed with mineral water once a week.
Observations on the preparation of kefir
- Hygiene is essential in the preparation of kefir
- Reserve utensils that you used in the preparation of kefir just for that purpose
- It is normal grains buoyancy due to gas formation during fermentation
- Kefir grains used in the water may be brownish in color due to brown sugar
- When making kefir with soy milk, kefir grains may stop growing, or will do it more slowly, it is natural that to happen
- Use only good quality milk and within the period of consumption.