Homemade Mozzarella Cheese Recipe
If you’ve never tried making cheese, you’ll be amazed to learn that it can be as fast and easy as baking a pie.
The only equipment you need is a stainless steel pot, measuring spoons, colander, long knife, slotted, cheesecloth and a dairy thermometer.
- 1 gallon of whole milk. (not ultra-pasteurized)
- 1/4 rennet tablet. (1/4 teaspoon if using liquid rennet)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Citric Acid divided. (1 teaspoon is dissolved in water and the other one is sprinkled directly into the milk.)
- 1/2 cup water divided in 2. (Do not use chlorinated water. Bottled water is fine.)
- 1 teaspoons salt.
- Additional herbs and seasoning if desired.
Step By Step Directions
- Dissolve 1/4 rennet tablet into 1/4 cup of cool water. Stir and set aside.
- Mix 1 1/2 teaspoons citric acid into 1 cup of cool water and set aside.
- Pour 1 gallon of milk into the pot and whisk while adding the citric acid solution.
- Heat the milk to 90 degrees F while constantly stirring.
- Remove from heat and slowly stir in the rennet solution with an up and down motion for 30 seconds.
- Cover pot and leave milk mixture undisturbed for 5 minutes
- Check the curd, it should look like custard, with a clear separation between the curd and the whey.
- While in the pot, dice the curd with a knife that reaches to the bottom of your pot.
- Return pot to heat and heat to 105 degrees F while slowly moving the curds around with your spoon.
- Take off the burner and continue slowly stirring for 2-5 minutes.
- Pour off the floating whey.
To finish your mozzarella cheese, you can choose between two different methods:
- Heat a pot of water to 185 degrees F.
- Ladle your curds into a colander, folding the curds gently as your drain off the whey.
- Dip the curds in the colander into the hot water several times until the curds start to become elastic and stretchable.
- When it is stretchable, remove the curd from the liquid and pull like taffy. This stretching elongates the proteins. If it doesn't stretch easily, place it in the hot water again.
- Now add the salt and any other herbs or flavoring to the cheese. Work it in and stretch it until smooth and shiny.
- Form your finished cheese into any desired shape, such as thin logs for string cheese.
- Submerge cheese in ice water and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Ladle your curds into a large microwavable bowl and drain off as much of the whey as you can without pressing the curds too much. Put on rubber gloves.
- Place the bowl in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Remove and drain off the whey as you gently fold the curds into one piece. At this time, add the 1 tablespoon of salt.
- Microwave for another 30 seconds. Drain and stretch the curd. If it doesn't stretch properly, microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Stretch the cheese by pulling it like taffy until smooth and shiny.
- Form your now edible cheese into the shape desired, such as round bite-size balls.
- Submerge your mozzarella cheese in ice water and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Cheese Making Kits
More Cheese Making Inormation
- How to Make Cream Cheese | eHow.com
How to Make Cream Cheese. Cream cheese is a favorite as a dip, with appetizers and with desserts. It also goes hand-in-hand with your favorite bagel. Learn to make this soft, spreadable cheese at home using ingredients...
- How to Make Cheddar Cheese | eHow.com
How to Make Cheddar Cheese. Cheddar cheese is a semi-hard, yellow-orange cheese that varies in sharpness. It is named after an English village called Cheddar and is widely popular in the United Kingdom. This article will...
- How to Make Ricotta Cheese
Ricotta is so easy to make and the taste so special that you will want to make it weekly to have on hand for eating and cooking.
More by this Author
Everyone's walked down that grocery isle that's lined with Pillsbury, Duncan Hines, and Betty Crocker cake mixes and frostings. These mixes are quick, easy, delicious, and don't require many ingredients. The best thing...
Hot and fluffy, bursting with juicy blueberries, and topped with melting pad of butter... No wonder blueberry muffins have become a family favorite around the breakfast table! Homemade blueberry muffins are fast and...
Ever wonder the secrets to having a nice, rounded, poppin’ bubble butt? Well wonder no longer because it’s no secret, other than to get off that butt and exercise!