Popular Brands of Vodka
Vodka is a clear almost flavorless spirit, is usually thought of as the national spirit of Russia and other Slavic countries.
Both Russia and Poland claim the invention of vodka and explain that the name is a diminutive of the word voda, meaning little water. Slavic countries have been producing vodka for more than 600 years.
Originally vodka was distilled only from potatoes but today it is also made from grain, mostly wheat, rye and corn. Vodka are distilled at a very high proof (190 or higher) and are filtered through activated charcoal.
List of Popular Brand of Vodka
- Absolut. From Sweden
- Belvedere. From Poland
- Boru. Made in Ireland from grain and pure Irish water
- Chopin. From Poland; made with potatoes
- Ciroc. Made from snap-frost grapes in south western France. Distilled five times.
- EFFEN. A Dutch vodka.
- Finlandia. From Finland made from spring water and barley
- Fris. Produced in Scandinavia
- Gilbey's. An American vodka
- Glacier. Distilled in Rigby, Idaho, using Idaho potatoes and water from the Rocky mountains
- Gordon's. Has been distilled in the United States since 1957
- Grey Goose. From France, made from fine grain and mineral water that's naturally filtered with champagne limestone.
- Iceberg Vodka. Made from the waters of icebergs from the coast of Greenland
- Kremlyovskaya. "Kremly" is made in the Vladimir region of Russia
- Pearl. Made from Canadian Rocky mountain spring water and distilled from Canadian winter wheat.
- SKYY. American vodka made with 100 percent pure mountain water.
- Sminoff. From U.S. the largest selling vodka in the world
- Square One. American vodka distilled from 100 percent organic rye
- Stolichnaya. A Russian vodka from the makers of Tanqueray gin.
- Three Olives Vodka. From England
- Vincent Van Gogh Vodka. From Holland, handcrafted using small batches of the finest grains.
- Wyborowa. From Poland
- Xellent. A Swiss Vodka
Vodka, can be stored in the freezer or refrigerator, it won't freeze because of the high alcohol content. It should be served neat or straight-up in a small cordial glass, best serve with caviar, smoked fish, salmon sardines, steak tartare and spicy food.
It is one of the most mixable and versatile spirits and there are hundreds of cocktail recipes. When an opened bottle is refrigerated or stored in a cool, dry place it should last up to three years.
- What is Vodka? - The word "vodka" comes from the Russian Zhiznennia voda which means water of life. Vodka is a pure spirit and can be distilled from a number of sources, including potatoes and sugar cane.
- How to make Bloody MAry? - The Bloody Mary is probably the most popular and vodka-based cocktail in the world and there are many variations of this tempting drink.
More by this Author
6 Easy party punch recipes for you to make and enjoy.
General information and history about vodka and free instructions or recipes on how to make the most popular vodka drinks.
Filipino proverbs, or salawikain, echo the values of the Philippines. The values and lessons they impart to us still hold truth to this day.