Life's Guilty Pleasures: Homemade Hot Chocolate
I don't really need a personal trainer or watch what I eat. I can't start the day without a hot chocolate or finish it without a few squares of dark chocolate. It's good for my mood.— Blake Lively
For All chocolate lovers
This is one of life's guilty pleasures for my family and me. It is hot chocolate at its best.
This is one of the most flavor-filled hot chocolate recipes I have ever tasted. It is not the healthiest but the clearly one of the tastiest. And, as for healthy or not, it is not a drink that we drink to excess anyway so the few cups we have throughout the winter are not a cause for worry. If we were drinking several cups a day every day all year long, then it would be a no-no. But since this is pretty much a seasonal treat, give it a try.
Give a little gift to those you love
A drink with memories
When it is hot chocolate season, at my house, rumblings about 'when are you making hot chocolate and pumpkin bread' begins.
For most of us, hot chocolate is like many foods and beverages our families enjoy. It will conjure up special memories of a loved one or a special occasion.
The same is true for me of this recipe. When I was a young mother, wife, and teacher, we lived on Ellsworth Air Force Base in South Dakota.
Just before our Christmas vacation one year, a child gave me a gift made by his mother. It was a quart-size plastic baggie filled with hot chocolate mix. From the first cup, we were hooked.
This recipe has morphed some over the years. It is a wonderful recipe in that you can add and change elements of it and it is still divine.
You will love that about it. You can make it your own, adjust, change, add, subtract. You can hardly hurt it. It is very versatile.You can double, triple, quadruple as desired . This is truly a 'no fail recipe.'
That mug you see in the photo is filled to the brim and is right here beside me as I share with you!
- 20 ounces instant powdered milk
- 20 ounces Nesquik
- 15 ounces plain or chocolate coffee creamer
- 1/2 pound confectioner's sugar
When we don't have the words chocolate can speak volumes.— ~~Joan Bauer
Hot Chocolate ---So Many Ways to Make It
There are so many ways to make it...find one that works for you--
dark chocolate, unsweetened chocolate discs blended with milk chocolate discs or semi sweet discs
powdered cocoa (unsweetened)
white chocolate discs
whole milk, skim milk, powdered milk
Cook it or make an instant mix like the one I shared.
Let your imagination be your guide.
This is a Recipe You May Wish to Try~~It Looks SOOO Good
- Place all ingredients in a large container and mix well.
- Store in a tightly sealed container.You can store in the freezer to maintain freshness.
The 12-step chocolate program: NEVER BE MORE THAN 12 STEPS AWAY FROM CHOCOLATE!— ~~Terry Moore
A wonderful treat
Light your fireplace, curl up with a good book, a soft, snugly blanket, and enjoy.
- As a gift, you can fill jars with this divine hot chocolate mix, cut out fabric or fancy paper, tie and tie a festive ribbon around all. Attach a copy of the recipe and you have a wonderful gift.
- You can also give the hot chocolate mix to someone in a large mug. cover with saran wrap, then fabric, and place ribbon and the recipe on the cup.
- If you are giving to a large family a quart jar or larger is great.
- This particular one is for a neighbor who lives alone and asked for a taste as she does not really have this on her restricted diet.
- You can adjust this recipe to a less sweet version by using half and half sugar blends or by using artificial sweeteners (as mentioned above). It does affect the taste and it is still tasty.
More by this Author
A light airy cookie that you will fill with homemade whipped cream and enjoy is what you will find here. Easy, fun, and quick to make and serve.
Loaded peanut butter cookies will do a happy dance in your mouth. Tender, full of flavor and texture, these cookies will become a favorite.
Welcome an unusual plant to your yard. Pine Cone Ginger, known by several other names, is a fascinating plant which will add a tropical air to the landscape on your property.