Pumpkin and Black Bean Soup Recipe
Soup is the Perfect Way to Use Leftover Pumpkin or any Other Root Vegetable
Winter is the perfect time to make soups with squash and root vegetables. The weather is cold, the nights are dark and what you really crave is a nice hot comforting bowl of soup. For an easy family meal, what better than a simple slow cooked pumpkin soup that can be served any time and needs little effort to make.
Not only is this delicious soup meatless it's also very economical and cheap to make. Perfect for when you are on a tight budget but still need to feed your family.
What if you don't like pumpkins or it's not pumpkin season? I also make this soup with sweet potato, butternut squash or even just carrot, parsnip or potato. It's a great way to use root vegetables and black beans at any time of year.
Photo credit: The photo is my own.
This is a really easy soup recipe to follow. Just throw everything in the slowcooker and it will be ready a few hours later. If you don't have pumpkin you can also use sweet potatoes or butternut squash. As it is slowcooking, some of the colouring from the black beans will come out and slightly dye the pumpkin. Don't worry about this, it just makes the soup even more approprate for Halloween. Who needs pretty food anyway?
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 8 hours
- Ready in: 8 hours 10 min
- Yields: 4
- 6 tbsp dried black beans
- 1/2 small pumpkin
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 bell peppers
- 2 chilli peppers
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1. Rinse and soak the dried beans in water overnight before beginning the soup.
- 2. Chop up all the vegetables.
- 3. Put all the vegetables and seasonings in a slow cooker.
- 4. Cover all the vegetables with stock.
- 5. Leave to cook for approximately 8 hours.
Dried or Canned Beans?
I love to use dried beans but I'm not usually organised enough to soak them in advance. Having lots of cans of beans in the store cupboard means you can always whip up a quick and tasty meal at short notice.
When cooking with beans, do you use dried or canned ones?See results without voting
Other Recipe Ideas for Cooking with Pumpkin
Or Sweet Potato or Squash
Well, making pumpkin pie is an obvious one, but there are so many other ways of using pumpkin. It's such a versatile vegetable as it can be used in both sweet and savoury dishes. The downside is that it does just appear around Halloween and is then not seen again until the next year. This means it can be difficult to decide what to do with it. So, if you don't want to make pumpkin soup, here are a few more recipe ideas to get you thinking. If you are inspired by these recipe ideas but just don't have any pumpkin, don't worry, butternut squash and sweet potato make great alternatives.
1. Make a pumpkin curry. It's delicious Thai style with coconut milk.
2. Instead of making a carrot cake, use the same method to make a pumpkin cake.
3. Put it in a tagine. It goes well in a vegetarian or meat one.
4. Mix it with other root vetetables and mash it as a side dish.
5. Rub it with spices and roast it in the oven. Works as either a side, a starter, or a snack.
6. Put it in a Spanish omelette instead of potato.
7. Add it to a lasagne or other pasta bake.
8. Make a pumpkin and sage risotto.
9. Add to hearty winter stews and casseroles.
10. Roast, blend and add lots of spices to make an interesting dip.
11. Put it in a gratin.
12. Slice thinly and make it into tempura.
These are Just a Few Ideas. There are Loads More. What Recipes do you Make with Pumpkin? 7 comments
More Pumpkin Recipes - Find delicious pumpkin recipes
If you don't want to use pumpkin, squash or sweet potatoes usually make a great alternative.
More Awesome Black Bean Recipes
- Black Bean Salsa
A delicious salsa recipe. Great with tortilla chips.
- Black Bean Soup
An easy recipe for the slow cooker.
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Patties
A great vegetarian black bean patty recipe.
- Recipe for Black Bean Chilli with Avocado Salsa
Delia Smith's black bean chilli recipe
- Crockpot Black Bean Chilli with Lime and Cilantro (Coriander leaf)
Delicious slow cooked black bean chilli from the well-known blog, Kalyn's Kitchen
Do you Like Pumpkin in Sweet or Savoury Dishes? - I love savoury pumpkin but I suspect I might be in the minority
Sweet or Savoury?
Enjoy the beautiful photography in this book as well as the delicious squash recipes.
There's more to pumpkins than just cooking and eating them. This book is a fantastic resource if you are looking for more than just pumpkin recipes.
Look the Part in the Kitchen by Buying a Pumpkin Apron
A really useful apron. Only 1 left in stock!
A really useful apron with 3 large pockets and a pen pocket.
A glow in the dark pumpkin apron!
Pumpkin Recipe Books on eBay - If you love pumpkin why not get a pumpkin recipe book
All these auctions end today.