Quick and Easy Lunch Dinner: Corned Beef and Cabbage
Fast and Nutritious Meals for Busy People
Working moms often have this problem: how to feed her family hot, nutritious and fast meals at least once a day. A balanced diet is difficult to maintain when all the hours of one day are budgeted down to the last minute.
Good thing, there are lots of delicious dishes with simple recipes and quick cooking time to help homemakers -- like the sautéed corned beef and cabbage -- that even dads and kids can easily prepare. The ingredients are not expensive but bursting with good stuff for the body such as protein and vitamins C, B, and A.
When shopping for food, always buy the cheapest vegetables but make sure they are fresh since they will be stored in the refrigerator for days.
Tips on How to Give Veggies Longer Storage Life
- After washing the veggies, drain well and spread on a clean cloth to air-dry.
- To seal in freshness, wrap the vegetables in old clean newspaper sheets.
- Wrap veggies in pairs or in group, according to what planned recipes need.
- Write the veggies' name and the date bought on the wrapper.
- Put the wrapped leafy vegetables on top to avoid crushing.
- Do not peel or cut the vegetables to be stored.
Cabbage and Corned Beef Recipe
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- ground pepper and salt, to taste
- 2 pieces boullion beef cubes
- 1 piece green chili, sliced
- 1 350-gram can corned beef
- 1 piece large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 piece medium carrot, peeled and cubed
- 1 whole medium cabbage, cut to strips
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
How to Cook
- Over low heat, stir-fry garlic until slightly toasted. Add onions, ground pepper, and boullion cubes. Add green chili. Sir in corned beef until well blended.
- Add potato and carrot cubes. Stir in tomato sauce and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add cabbage. Sprinkle a pinch of salt. Cover for 2 minutes.
- Mix the limp cabbage with other vegetables and corned beef sauce.
Quick Easy Steps: How to Cook Hot Cabbage Corned Beef Dish
More by this Author
Living a freelancer's life often means staying inside the house day-in and day-out while working on unlimited projects. Cooking food is often done in absent-minded manner and eating time can be a harried occasion. Rice...
Milkfish cooked in vinegar is a good dish to cook during weekends because it tastes better when served after a few days inside the refrigerator. Just put several pieces of everything in a bowl and heat in the microwave...
The term "sisig" refers to the spicy and fatty meat dish, popular all over the Philippines. It has a unique blend of chili peppers, vinegar, salt, and soy sauce. Perfect with hot rice.