Unlike most cooked vegetable dishes, ratatouille actually tastes better cold. The traditional aubergines are omitted from this recipe as they tend to absorb a lot of oil, making this dish too oily for some if served cold.
- 2 Spanish onions
- 150 ml olive or sunflower oil
- 3 large red peppers
- large green peppers
- garlic cloves
- 900 grams ripe tomatoes
- 700 grams courgettes
- salt and black pepper
- Peel and finely chop the onions.
- Heat half the oil in a saute pan over moderate heat.
- Add the onions and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until beginning to soften.
- Meanwhile, halve the peppers, deseed them, cut into strips. Add to the pan and cook for 10 minutes.
- Cut the knobbly ends off the courgettes and slice into 6 mm thick rounds. Skin and chop the garlic. Skin and deseed the tomatoes and chop the flesh.
- Add courgettes, garlic and tomatoes to the pan together with the remaining oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Season well, turn into a large serving bowl and leave to cool. When cold, cover and refrigerate.
Deep Fried Eggs with Ratatouille
Aubergines, tomatoes and peppers le a colorful and delicious contrast to these puffy golden eggs. Serve garnished with triangles of fried bread or accompany with wholemeal rolls.
Fresh, home-made ratatouille will, of course, make the dish even better.
- 450 grams of ratatouille
- 350 ml oil for frying 4 large eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly chopped parsley
- Heat the ratatouille, according to the manufacturer's instructions, in the butter and season.
- Cover and keep warm in a serving dish in a low oven.
- Put the oil in a saucepan measuring 12.5 cm in diameter and heat to 180°C (370°F).
- Break an egg into a cup and slide it carefully into the hot fat, taking care not to splash.
- Roll the egg constantly with a perforated spoon. Cook for 50 seconds.
- Drain the egg thoroughly on kitchen paper and place it on top of the ratatouille.
- Cook the remaining eggs, one by one, in the same way, then garnish and serve immediately.
Crisp fried bread adds interesting texture to deep-fried eggs with ratatouille.
More by this Author
A truffle is any of various fungi whose fruiting bodies (also called truffles) are formed underground and are prized as food delicacies. Truffles contain nearly twice the amount of dietary essentials found in mushrooms....
Beer is an alcoholic beverage usually made from malted barley, corn or rice, and hops. The hops produce the tangy flavor characteristic of many beers. Beers usually contain from 2 to 6 percent alcohol by volume and...
The White House as it appears from the north. Photograph by David Lat. The White House is the official residence of the President of the United States, located in Washington, D.C. It is on Pennsylvania Avenue facing...