Recipe for Plain American Pound Cake
Rich, Buttery, Moist Pound Cake
This simple recipe produces a pleasantly rich and buttery pound cake. The American cake makes a wonderful dessert or snack, and can be eaten all year round. This recipe is great for beginners or those wishing to whip up a tasty treat in a hurry.
Please Rate this Dish
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 3/4 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 13 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened & cut into small chunks
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a loaf pan with butter.
- Combine the eggs, milk and vanilla in a large bowl by lightly whisking them together.
- Place the cake flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl and use an electric mixer to blend them together on low speed for 30 seconds.
- Add the butter to the dry mixture (step 3) along with half of the egg mixture (step 2) and mix using a rubber spatula until the dry ingredients become moist.
- Beat the concoction on medium speed for 1 minute, then scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the remaining egg mixture in 2 batches, beating for 20 seconds after adding each batch and scrape down the bowl's sides again.
- Use the spatula to scoop the batter into the loaf pan and smooth the surface until it is even.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 55 - 65 minutes, unless you are using a flute tube pan, in which case the baking time will be 35 - 45 minutes.
- Leave the cake to cool for 10 minutes then flip it gently onto a wire rack where it should be left to cool further.
Notes & Tips
In step 8, check if the cake is ready by inserting a toothpick into the centre. If it comes out clean, the cake is finished baking.
The baking time in step 8 will differ depending on the type of loaf pan you use. Keep an eye on the cake while it's baking to make sure it does not burn.
If you do not have any cake flour, you can make your own by retrieving 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour and removing 3 tablespoons of it, then replacing those with 3 tablespoons of cornflour. Remember to blend the all-purpose flour and cornflour well by sifting them together 3 times.
More by this Author
This spaghetti carbonara recipe is quick and easy to follow, and is perfect for those just learning to cook. The recipe guides you through the process of making carbonara, and provides helpful hints and tips, too.
This recipe for strawberry cheesecake is quick, straightforward, and incredibly simple to follow. It's a great recipe for beginners to attempt. Also included is a short recipe for strawberry sauce, which goes great with...
I've put together a simple guide to the city of Dublin and the top ten attractions there.