Traditional English Recipe for Toad in the Hole
Traditional English Toad in the Hole
Toad in the hole is a traditional English dish. It consists of sausages covered in batter and is very easy to prepare. When making it at home, you should remember to use good quality sausages, which can be any flavour you like. It is usually served with gravy as a main course.
Please Rate this Dish
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 pork sausages
- 225g plain flour
- 250ml milk
- 4 eggs
- Pepper & salt to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Pour the oil into the bottom of a baking dish, and position the sausages on top of it in a single layer.
- Bake the sausages in your preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- While the sausages are baking, whisk the flour, eggs and half of the milk together in a medium bowl until the mixture is smooth.
- Whisk the rest of the milk in bit by bit until you are left with a nice, smooth batter, then season it with pepper and salt.
- Retrieve the sausages from the oven and spoon the batter over them until they are 3/4 covered.
- Replace the baking dish in the oven and bake the sausages for 35 minutes, or until the centre is browned and risen.
Notes & Tips
- In step 7, don't worry if the base of the baking toad in the hole becomes slightly soft - this is supposed to happen.
More by this Author
This recipe for strawberry cheesecake is quick, straightforward, and incredibly simple to follow. It's a great recipe for beginners to attempt. Also included is a short recipe for strawberry sauce, which goes great with...
This spaghetti carbonara recipe is quick and easy to follow, and is perfect for those just learning to cook. The recipe guides you through the process of making carbonara, and provides helpful hints and tips, too.
I've put together a simple guide to the city of Dublin and the top ten attractions there.