How to make Home Made Vegetable Soup, recipes for vegetable soups.
This page includes
- How to make home made vegetable soup.
- A list of vegetables that are good for making soup with.
- Ideas for adding a touch of spice to your home made soup recipes.
Recipe for Home Made Soups from Vegetables.
Vegetable soup is easy to make and home made soup can make a great meal or snack on a cold day.
Returning home from a walk or gardening and opening the front door of the house to be greeted by the smell of vegetable soup and knowing that in a short time you will be sitting down to eat a bowl of hot of home made soup is really comforting on a cold day.
Soup can be made in a slow cooker/crock pot.
Once blended the soup has a creamy texture.
If you have any left over you can freeze this down to use later
You can cook this recipe in a saucepan too.
A selection of vegetables to make soup with.
Vegetables that can be made into soup.
Vegetables to use in soup making.
Most vegetables are suitable for making soups you can make soup and you can use just one type of vegetable or use a selection of different vegetables to make home made soups.
Here is a list of vegetables for soup and also ingredients that go well with them.
- Carrot and Coriander. Coriander is used in some Indian recipes the flavor of it goes well with carrots.
- Parsnip. Parsnips make a nice creamy soup. If you want to add a different flavor to your parsnip soup add a small amount of turmeric which will brighten the color of it too. You could try adding a small amount of nutmeg as some people like the combination but try a very small amount to start with in case the taste is not too your liking.
- Celery. Celery has a nice fresh taste and goes well with other vegetables, I like to add shallots to the recipe when I make this. If you want a thicker creamier celery soup without adding cream to the recipe then add a couple of small potatoes diced up to the saucepan when you start to cook this.
- Potatoes. Potatoes can be used to make soup but it is usual to combine them with another ingredient such as leeks to add more flavor to the finished dish.
- Tomatoes. You can use tomatoes to make home made soup you can use tinned tomatoes for this if fresh are too expensive. You might need to add a small amount of sugar to the soup to sweeten the flavor if the tomatoes are not sweet enough. You could add potatoes to this soup mix if you wanted to as they would help to thicken it.
- Sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes add a lovely smooth texture to soups and the flavor is good too. use by themselves or in a selection of other ingredients.
Other vegetables that can be used in home made soup recipes.
- Cabbage. Some people use cabbage soup as part of a diet but really cabbage is not something I would want to make soup out of. I cannot imagine myself ever a chopping and cooking cabbage up to make soup.
- Peas. peas can make a tasty soup, often peas are combined with mint or apple to make soups.
- Beans. Fresh beans can be used with other vegetables in soup recipes but if you decide to use dried beans you need to follow the instructions on the packet carefully regarding how many hours they need to be soaked for and the length of time to cook them for. Dried beans and pulses do not make quick soups and if you do not have fresh and are in a hurry then opening a tin of beans such as Borlotti beans or Cannellini beans to add to your soup will probably be a better idea. These two types of bean will make an Italian style bean soup.
Basic Recipe for Vegetable Soup.
Basic Method to make Home Made Soups.
- Peel and chop up the vegetables you want to use.
- Cut them small as this will save cooking time.
Two ways to do the next bit - select the one that suits you best.
- This way you saute the vegetables in olive oil before carefully adding the stock to the saucepan.
- The other way is to put the vegetables in a small amount of water to start them off and then add the stock.
I doubt you will be able to tell which method you started with by the time the soup is cooked. However some things like peppers, leeks, shallots or onions may take less time to cook if you saute them first and you might prefer this method.
- Now you can leave the vegetables in the stock liquid to cook in a saucepan or once they are cooking in the liquid you can transfer the soup mix to a slow cooker/crock pot and leave it cooking slowly for later in the day.
- Cook until the vegetable pieces have all softened well, now allow the soup mixture to cool.
- When cool blend the soup in a blender or with a stick blender to a smooth creamy texture.
The cooking and making process is now complete and you just need to heat the bleneded vegetable soup through before serving it.
If you want to keep it to eat later store it in a fridge or if you do not wish to eat it yet, you can freeze it down and store it in the freezer until you want to eat it.
When you serve your soup add seasoning to taste - salt is better added by the person eating the soup than the cook as tastes for seasoning vary and the less salt you add to this recipe the better it is for your health.
Even potatoes can be used.
- Peppers. But not hot chilli-peppers, I mean the sort that are in the photo on the page here. Different colored peppers provide a different flavor the yellow and orange ones being the sweeter and mellower taste while the green are seem to have a more pungent flavor. Peppers are good in small quantities with other mixed vegetables, on there own in a soup they might not be so good without another ingredient to work with them in the taste.
Make soup more exciting, spice up your soup
Vegetable Soup what can you add to give it a warm flavor with a hint of spice.
If you think of the flavors of spices that you enjoy in your meals the chances are that some where in your store cupboard you will have some jars of spice that can add a extra depth of flavor to the soups that you make.
When the weather is cold try these spices -
- Turmeric. I love using turmeric because not only does it add a nice depth of color to the soup but it is also a spice that is said to be good for your health. The best way I can think to describe the flavor that turmeric adds to soups is a - warm but not hot spice taste - sort of mellow warmth and it also adds a 'golden glow' to the color of your soup too. I add about a teaspoonful if making soup for 4 servings.
Adjust the level to suit your own taste - try adding a little, taste the soup and if you want to you can add more now or later.
Home made bread goes well with soup for a meal or buy a local bakery loaf.
Pages with Bread Recipes and ideas.
- Homemade Spelt Bread.
Spelt 'wheat' is different from modern wheat. Spelt is an ancient relative of modern wheat and makes delicious bread with...
More Recipe Ideas by 2uesday.
- Easy to Make Pasta Sauce With Fresh or Tinned Tomatoes. Recipe.How to Make Tomato Pasta Sauce.
This pasta sauce is as an easy to make recipe... a few simple steps, good for using with spaghetti.
- How to Make A Quick and Easy Meal for Vegetarians. R...
This vegetable risotto recipe is quick and easy to prepare.
- Fruit Compote.How to Make fruit Compote an Easy Recipe.
Fruit Compote is tasty and easy to make you can also use it as the basis of a healthy desert, made with fresh or frozen fruits.
Remember you can compost the vegetable peelings .
Home made soup is the ideal meal on a cold day.
More by this Author
Fruit Compote is tasty and easy to make. Compote is healthier than jam on toast, the sugar content is lower. You can also use it as the basis of a healthy desert. Make it with fresh or frozen fruits....
An easy to follow explanation of what five fruits and vegetables a day is With a guide to what equals one portion of fruit or vegetables.
Gifts ... that cost nothing or next to nothing... Unless you count the time that it takes to make them or put them together. If you are short of money to spend on presents here are some easy money saving ideas...