Recipe for Rich Chocolate Layer Cake with Chocolate Icing
Iced Chocolate Layer Cake
This recipe includes instructions for both baking a chocolate sponge cake, and for preparing the chocolate icing to go with it. It is very suitable for all celebrations and special occasions, especially birthdays.
Please Rate this Dish
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease and dust 2 9 inch cake pans with cocoa.
- Place the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl and stir the ingredients together with a wire wisk until they blend fully.
- Add the milk, eggs, vanilla and oil and beat them with a wire wisk until they blend fully (about 2 minutes).
- While beating, heat the water in the microwave until it is boiling then stir the still-boiling liquid into the cake mix.
- Pour the batter into the pans you prepared earlier and bake them in the preheated oven for 30 - 35 minutes or until the cake pulls away from the pan's sides, the top springs back when pushed down with your thumb, or a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup half and half
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- While the cake is baking, melt together the butter and cocoa in a large saucepan and stir them together until the blend is smooth.
- Use an electric mixer to alternatly beat the milk and powdered sugar into the butter mixture until the icing is smooth and creamy.
- Stir the vanilla and salt into the blend.
- Cool the cake for 5 minutes and transfer it from the pans to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Spread the icing on top of one cake layer and place the other layer on top of it.
- Use the remaining icing to cover the top and sides of the cake.
More by this Author
Here is a guide to native Irish fairies. In this hub, you'll learn about them all, from grogoches to changelings, and from merrows to leprechauns, of course.
This recipe for strawberry cheesecake is quick, straightforward, and incredibly simple to follow. It's a great recipe for beginners to attempt. Also included is a short recipe for strawberry sauce, which goes great with...
I've put together a simple guide to the city of Dublin and the top ten attractions there.