Roast Chicken Legs and Thighs with Healthy Mediterranean Vegetables
Chicken drumsticks and thighs are classic examples of comfort food. They are often eaten by hand on their own but this recipe sees them cooked and served with a variety of nourishing, Mediterranean style vegetables, everything coated in heart healthy extra virgin olive oil. The smell of this dish alone as it cooks and fills your kitchen will have you salivating and it really is quick and easy to prepare. From the point of starting your simple preparations, you should be enjoying this delicious meal for two in little more than an hour. The specific vegetables included here should be considered only to be a suggestion and you can of course easily vary the ingredients list to suit your own tastes and preferences.
- Prep time: 20 min
- Cook time: 35 min
- Ready in: 55 min
- Yields: Two fairly large portions (or four smaller ones)
- 5 chicken drumsticks, skin on
- 5 chicken thighs, skin on
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 red onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Handful of coriander leaves/cilantro, roughly chopped
Preparing the Dish for the OvenClick thumbnail to view full-size
- Put your oven on to preheat to 400F/200C.
- Cut the bell peppers in half down through the centre. Remove the stalk, seeds and excess whitish membrane. Roughly chop.
- Peel the red onion and garlic cloves. Quarter the onion and roughly chop the garlic. Don't chop the garlic too small or the pieces will burn and turn bitter.
- Add everything you have so far prepared to a large, deep roasting tray. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle liberally with extra virgin olive oil. Stir around carefully with a wooden spoon.
- A small cut should be made in the top of each tomato. Otherwise, you risk them bursting and creating a mess in the oven. The seeds and pulp can be removed simply by squeezing them out or left in - it's up to you. Add the tomatoes to the roasting tray.
- Season the chicken pieces and drizzle with olive oil. Pick up each piece in turn and massage to evenly distribute the oil before laying on the roasting tray.
- Put the tray in to the oven for forty minutes.
Serving the Chicken Legs and Thighs and Roast VegetablesClick thumbnail to view full-size
- Take the tray from the oven and use the skewer test to ensure the chicken is cooked. Simply pierce the thickest part of the biggest thigh and ensure the juices run clear.
- Leave to rest for ten minutes.
- Lift the chicken portions to a plate with cooking tongs.
- If you have left the pulp in the tomatoes, there will be a lot of liquid in the bottom of the tray. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the vegetables to the base of your serving dish.
- Lay the chicken pieces on top of the vegetables.
- Scatter with chopped coriander/cilantro for service.
What did you think of this recipe idea?
More by this Author
Balmoral chicken is a classic Scottish dish seeing chicken breast fillets stuffed with haggis. This recipe sees the haggis made to stuff a whole chicken. It is served with breaded clapshot portions.
Roast chicken is a popular and wonderfully delicious foodstuff. All too often, however, the ways in which chicken is roasted are unimaginative. These roast chicken recipes are extremely varied without making them in any...
Chip shop style potato fritters make an excellent variation on potato based meal accompaniments. This page shows you how to easily make potato fritters at home, every bit as good as you will get from a fish and chip...