Slow and low smoked brisket cooking instructions
Preparing your brisket
The type of meat you use makes a huge difference. I look at all the briskets at the local market I go t. The briskets are always wrapped in plastic wrap that is air tight. I have actually found select briskets that look better than the choice briskets. I look for thick marble I want as much marbling as I can find. I also try to find ones that are a little softer you can squeeze them and you will feel a difference.
Once you have selected your brisket you need to prep it. I trim all of the fat off of the top and that includes that membrane that is silver on top (just take a sharp knife and slice it off) rub will not stick to that stuff ( it is tedious and takes time but do not skip this make sure you get it all) . Now that you have that done trim the bottom I like to trim the fat on the bottom to where there is only a 1/4 inch of fat left on it (no more). I then take and cut the fat into squares so that my rub can reach the meat (also time consuming but worth it).
Now your ready to inject it make sure you inject it every inch (injection recipe below). once your done injecting it pour the rest of the injection in a tall pan and place you brisket on top of the juice and put it in the fridge over night.
Brisket injection recipe
- 8 cups water
- 6 tablespoons beef bouillon powder, minor's
- 2 15 ounce cans strong beef broth, any brand
Beef injection instructions
In a large pot over a high heat, bring the water to a boil. Add the bouillon powder and the beef broth to the water, and stir till dissolved. Remove from the heat. let it cool before injecting. I usually do this before I start to trim my brisket.
The day of your cook
Your brisket has sat in the fridge all night and now your ready to cook it. Take it out of the fridge drain all your juice and pat the brisket dry with paper towels. once it is dry take some olive oil and rub it on the meat top and bottom this will help the rub ti stick to it really good. Rub your meat ( rub recipe below).
After you are finished rubbing your brisket let it sit and come to room temperature this will allow the rub to soak in and liquify. I let mine sit for around 2 hours.
Spray bottle instructions
After the first hour your brisket is on the grill you need to spritz it with an apple juice Worcestershire mix. I put 3 cups of apple juice and 1 cup Worcestershire . spritz every hour.
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons coarsely ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon chipotle pepper powder or cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
mix this all together in a bowl.
- pre heat your smoker to 185°,cook fat side up, for 5 hours.
- After five hours, turn it over and cook for 2 more hours.
- After that, turn it back over to fat side up and cook until the brisket’s internal temperature (check with a meat thermometer!) reaches 165°. Usually about another 3 to 4 hours
- Remove your brisket from the grill. mix about ½ cup of apple juice plus 3 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce ( you may have enough left in your spray bottle just pour that in there). Wrap the brisket completely in aluminum foil (or put it in an aluminum pan and cover tightly with aluminum foil) and drizzle the apple juice mix inside the foil onto the meat. Turn the grill up to 225°. Cook until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 198-201° (2-6 hours). Lay newspaper or paper towels in a cooler and lay the meat, still wrapped up in the aluminum foil, on the paper. Close the cooler and let the meat rest for about an hour and a half.
- Save the juices from the aluminum foil for a beef dip.
- I hope you like this recipe please leave me a comment if this turned out well for you. Remember to take your time and do it slow and low for perfect BBQ.
- I will also say that a good temp probe is essential to good BBQ I personally use a thermo works it gives a reading in 2 seconds or less take a look at them if you do not have one.
More by this Author
1) Girls blush a LOT when you pay them an unexpected compliment. I mean, if she's already expecting a compliment from you, it might not have the same effect. But if you surprise her with an unexpected compliment, things...