Stir-frying is one of the fastest ways to whip up a satisfying meal on the quick. There are many ingredients that go well together in a stir-fry meal, mix and match to create something different and delicious in a minimal amount of time. Try experimenting with different ingredients to create your own unique specialty dish.
One of the great things about stir-fry is the fact that you can usually raid the fridge or pantry and get a great meal using whatever you have on hand.
Stir-fry is usually associated with the preparation of Asian food; this quite simply is not true. The stir-fry method of cooking works just as well for Tex-Mex, Mediterranean, American and other cuisines.
Another misconception about cooking the stir-fry way is the notion that you must have a wok in order to achieve the desired results; again not true, a large skillet or frying pan works just fine.
The general rule of thumb when preparing the vegetables and meats for stir-frying is to cut and slice everything about the same size. You can cut vegetables and meats into thin strips, cubes, slices, shred or Juliann. It also works well to use a mixture of different cuts; this makes the results even more appealing to the eye.
Just about any vegetable works well in stir-fry. Some excellent choices include; asparagus, bokchoy or Chinese cabbage, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, celery, corn, especially baby corn, cucumbers, eggplant, green beans, leeks, mushrooms, onions, peppers, potatoes, scallions, snow peas, sugar peas, spinach and zucchini. Protein ideas include; beef, chicken, lamb, crab, lobster, scallops, shrimp and pork.
Stir-fry recipes are a healthy choice in general. Be sure to add a variety of colors, including various greens, when choosing vegetables to obtain a good balance of vitamins and nutrients. Many stir-fry recipes go well served with rice, noodles or pasta.
1. For vegetables that take longer to cook through, try pre-cooking them by steaming, blanching or microwaving them first.
2. Use only as much oil that is necessary. Try using half oil and half-chicken broth for stir-frying.
Listed below are a couple of my favorite stir-frying recipes.
3 cups cooked rice
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast-cubed
1-pound bag-frozen Oriental vegetables
½ medium onion-sliced in thin strips
2 cloves garlic-minced
2 teaspoons fresh ginger root-minced
½-cup chicken broth
1-teaspoon sesame oil
3 teaspoons peanut oil
2 tomatoes-chopped or 1 can chopped tomatoes
4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
¼-cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1. In a medium size bowl, add the vinegar, ginger, garlic, sugar, ½ of the soy sauce and the cubed chicken. Toss to coat, cover and set aside to marinate for 15 minutes.
2. In a separate bowl, add the chicken broth, sesame oil, the remainder of soy sauce and dissolved cornstarch (to dissolve the cornstarch, add a little water and stir until smooth)
3. Set wok or large skillet on medium high heat; add the peanut oil. When oil is hot, add onions, the chicken including sauce. Cook for 7 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Add the vegetables and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes.
5. Ad the chicken broth mixture and continue to cook until the sauce thickens, about 1-2 minutes.
6. Serve over cooked rice.
Betty's Sirloin Steak and Asparagus Stir-Fry Recipe
3 cups cooked egg noodles
2 cups cooked medium shrimp
8 ounces sliced water chestnuts-water drained
2 slices bacon-cooked and broken into small pieces
3 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion-sliced
2 large carrots-shredded
1 can chicken broth
5 tablespoons soy sauce
3 teaspoons curry powder
1-teaspoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons minced ginger
1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Coat the wok or skillet with a non-stick cooking spray.
2. On medium heat setting, add chicken and cook for 8 minutes, stirring constantly. Place in bowl or on a plate and set aside.
3. Add the sesame and olive oil, onion, carrots, ginger, ½ the chicken broth and ½ of the soy sauce. Cook for 7 minutes, stirring often.
4. Add the curry powder, brown sugar, salt, pepper, water chestnuts, and chicken.
5. Add the remaining soy sauce and chicken broth. Cook for an additional 10 minutes.
6. Serve over cooked noodles.
Chinese Spicy Shrimp Stir Fry Recipe
- 4th of July Vegan Dishes Stirfry
Napa Cabbage with bok choy, onions, garlic, orange bell pepper and seasonings. During the summer barbequeing season you can have a non meat eating guest over. It’s good to have an easy and quick dish that can be enjoyed by both vegetarians and...
- Fifteen-Minute Asian Tortellini Stirfry
After a long day at work, you need something quick and easy to prepare, as well as a meal that appeals to the entire family. Asian Tortellini Stirfry cooks up in about fifteen minutes, results in very few dirty dishes, and is inexpensiveâa...
More by this Author
Many people today use Valium or Diazepam to soothe their nerves, help them sleep and for a variety of other disorders. Why not try the natural form of these drugs without all the chemical additives?
To me there is only one thing better than working on new craft projects and that is to get the patterns. plans and instructions for free. Below you will find many patterns for a variety of projects.
At our house, the festivities wouldn't be complete without our traditional glazed ham with pineapple and cherry garnish as the centerpiece on the holiday table. Recipe and instructions are below.