Tomato and Goat Cheese Tart Recipe
Tomato and Goat Cheese Tart
Guests coming for dinner? Hosting the book club next week?
If so, you're probably looking for delicious, impressive appetizers.
The trick will be how to show off your culinary skills without killing yourself in the kitchen.
Put down the Yellow Pages and don't phone the caterer. This recipe for Tomato and Goat Cheese Tarts only sounds (and looks) expensive. It's a relatively easy and very tasty appetizer that you can serve any time of the year.
Fresh tomatoes and herbs are in season throughout the summer, which makes this dish especially tasty this time of year. If you grow your own vegetables and herbs, the freshness will add depth and flavor.
Without your own garden, I suggest choosing organic produce to enhance the taste. Locally grown produce without fertilizers is not only healthy for you, but good for the local economy.
What do you think of this Tomato and Goat Cheese Tart Recipe
Cook Time for Tomato and Goat Cheese Tarts
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 15 min
- Ready in: 45 min
- Yields: 12 appetizers
Recipe for Tomato and Goat Cheese Tart
- 1 3/4 oz. unsalted butter
- 1 clove chopped garlic
- chopped fresh basil
- 4 sheets filo pastry
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 t. balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 oz. crumbled goat cheese
- extra virgin olive oil (to taste)
- fresh thyme sprigs, if desired
- salt and pepper (to taste)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Melt the butter over low heat with approximately 1 t. each of the garlic and fresh basil. Turn off heat and allow to infuse.
3. Take four individual tart tins and brush with the melted butter, using a pastry brush.
4. Cut each of the sheets of pastry into four, and lay one piece into each the four tart tins. Paint with the melted butter, then repeat until you have four layers of pastry on top of each other. Fold the overhanging pieces over and trim. Brush with the remaining butter.
5. Arrange slices of tomato in each of the pastries. Sprinkle with balsamic vinegar and then season with salt and pepper. Add goats cheese and basil on top, and then drizzle with olive oil.
6. Place the tins on a baking sheet (for insulation) and bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes. Garnish with a sprig of fresh thyme, if desired.
Another Recipe for Tomato and Goat Cheese Tarts
Enhance Your Tomato and Goat Cheese Tart Recipe
If you are preparing this appetizer during summer months, you should consider heirloom tomatoes. The wide variety of sizes, colors and tastes can enhance your tarts, and any other recipe you prepare this season!
It goes without saying that your best tasting dishes are those prepared with high quality, fresh ingredients. Sometimes its true that you get what you pay for. In other words, spending a little more at grocery checkout for cheese and produce may lead to better results in your cooking.
Of course, you don't have to shell out at the fruit stand or grocery store. Growing your own produce is not only cost-effective, but also better tasting. The shorter the time between picking and eating, the better your food will taste. Many commercial farms harvest when fruits and vegetables are not yet ripe, which skimps on quality, etc.
Shopping local is another way to capitalize on flavor and quality. The fewer miles your food has to travel, the fresher it will be when it reaches your plate. Plus, you'll support the local economy. Its a win-win for everyone!
Goat Cheese and Caramelized Onion Tarts
Enjoy Tomato and Goat Cheese Tarts
Tomato and goat cheese tarts can be a delicious appetizer for your next dinner party, or even a light brunch recipe. Cooking with the freshest ingredients will lead to the best results.
As always, experiment with your own personal tastes. Add extra garlic, or try mascarpone cheese instead of goat cheese instead. If you are a meat lover, you may want to consider adding Pancetta or Prosciutto.
You're the chef... enjoy!
More by this Author
The debate continues as to whether chocolate milk and other flavored milk should be banned from schools, or allowed as a beverage option
Preparing for a party, tailgate or the holidays is easy with the Classic Chex Mix recipe. Combine pretzels, bagel chips, mixed nuts, chex cereal and a variety of seasonings for yummy Chex Mix!
Find out where you can shop to purchase earth friendly products, organic produce and other healthy items. Here are the five best grocery stores that carry eco-friendly merchandise.