neglect

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (12 posts)
  1. mr. daydream profile image60
    mr. daydreamposted 13 years ago

There are two types of mistakes in my book...

(1) Accidental honest mistakes, and

(2) Neglectful, careless errors that (PERHAPS) the person may lukewarmly regret but yet in still keep repeating.

Are you patient enough to keep forgiving this person. Do you keep turning the other cheek (you only have two) and being the bigger person til' you feel like you're 50 feet tall (lol). Opinions please!

1. Buck Steiner profile image58
      Buck Steinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Technically you have four cheeks!

mr. daydreamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I thought about it, but booty cheeks don't count, lol.

2. Sally's Trove profile image78
      Sally's Troveposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have a slightly different outlook, which I call "three strikes", and this view is not based on the other's intentions but on my own perceptions.

If someone does "wrong" by me the first time, then I see it as a mistake. The second time, I begin to wonder. The third time, I know there is a pattern in this person which will not mesh with me.  Then it's time to say good-bye.

Forgiveness is another question. You and I can forgive all we want to, and feel good about it, but when the behavior from the other person begins to negatively affect our lives, then we need to look at staying around this person or not.

Great topic.

good response

2. angela_michelle profile image94
        angela_michelleposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with your outlook. I have forgiven a friend who has a mental illness repeatedly, but then it occurred to me that her repeated behavior was harming me severely. I realized I can love her, forgive her, but protect myself from being hurt by her, by keeping distant. I am nice to her, I am respectful to her, but I keep her at arms length.

Sometimes you gotta let em' go.

2. profile image51
          taranovaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I too have a friend with a mental illness, and I agree with you.  The best thing to do is to give love and respect, but don't get too close or expect a two-way friendship.  These people are incapable of a give and take relationship.

3. MoragCampbell profile image43
      MoragCampbellposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think the answer to this depends ENTIRELY on not only your age, but this fictional other person's age.
      If you are past 50, well there are memory issues to be dealt with, plus the 50 pluses just don't give a damn the way the younger people do.
      If less than 50, however, then yes you have an issue. Deal with it. Either make it clear to the other person that their behaviour is not acceptable, accept their behaviour, or end the relationship. It all depends on how important it is to you (whatever it is that happened).

2. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 13 years ago

I never turn the other cheek. Being hurt in one cheek it's enough for me LOL

1. profile image51
      taranovaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have time and time again turned the other cheek.  I've only hurt myself by doing it.  If you keep on giving and giving and giving, then eventually you lose respect of yourself,  and others will take advantage of your good nature and soft heartedness.

3. DevLin profile image59
    DevLinposted 13 years ago

tough love. Three strikes rule applies.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)