Does anyone have an answer to this question?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (50 posts)
  1. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

In the state of PA, if one has a teenager who is 16, a minor, can they give there baby up for adoption without there parents consent and can the grandparent take custody so the baby isnt adopted out?

1. Ohma profile image59
      Ohmaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am not sure if the minor status comes into play regarding the teens rights as a parent. Which is to say that I believe the teen has the legal right to place the baby for adoption. I certainly think any biologic grandparent would be a preferable choice to adopt.
      What part of Pa are you from maybe I can find a better answer for you.

1. profile image0
        kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

OMG CONGRATS ON 99

YOU ROCK

CAN I JUST HAVE 9?

I apologize for that brief interruption but was critical

thank you for your co operation

2. kmackey32 profile image65
        kmackey32posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I live in Bradford PA, Mckean CO.

2. TMMason profile image60
      TMMasonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The grand-parents can always petition and most times recieve the child. it depends if the father wants custody. And if any others want to contest it.

As far as minors acting without consent... I doubt they would need your permission to get rid of a baby, unfortunately. In any way, abortion or other-wise.

The father wants nothing to do with it... I did read in PA if my daughter files adoption papers the courts must notify me since she is a minor...

1. Paradise7 profile image68
          Paradise7posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I think that's right...check with an attorney, what the real deal is, though, that's where you get the best info.  It sounds like a really important matter, your grandbaby's whole future rides on it.

Yes for sure I am scared and cant stop thinking about it....

3. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

kmackey, I looked this up because in Massachusetts once a girl is pregnant or a mother she has different protections/rights under the law.  Anyway, here's a page on PA:

http://www.jlc.org/factsheets/27/

(The answer, according to this, is that she can sign  the baby for adoption but her parents must be notified too.)

4. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Kmackey, if you are the grandparent, which means that your child is having a child.

Why would the child go up for adoption? hmm

I am under the impression you want to adopt the child. But, what purpose does it serve?

I see it doing more damage, especially if your daughter lives with you presently. It could cause conflicts unforeseen, should you adopt the child, while she is living in the same home.

She could grow mother instincts? Then what? The child she gave birth to, is not hers and is yours...How would she handle that?

I'm not sure if I am helping or hurting it. And, I've not read a single response given to you already by others. I'm simply going by what your OP said.

Well, that's just my thoughts about it. I've never been in the situation and I am not a parent. So, take it for what it's worth. smile

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Hi Kristie. smile Sorry, no idea smile

Hi Misha, long time no see... lol, yes im going to be a gramma...Can you believe that one? Everytime you see me its one dilema after another huh?

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL You are a pretty hawt granny, aren't you? wink

LOL good one!

2. Paradise7 profile image68

I'm not sure but I believe in most of the northeastern states, the family court decides, if the grandparents of the minor decide to take it to court and make an issue of it.  The baby is actually represented by a court-appointed attorney and a case worker.  The grandparents may not be adequate custodians.

Well I am still raising my daughter... lol

I am just afraid she will go behind my back and do it out of spite. I dont think it would be fair if theres family to raise the child

1. Paradise7 profile image68

If she does go to put the baby up for adoption, and you want to take the issue to court, my suggestion is to get an attorney that specializes in family law.  That's where you'll find the exactly correct answers for your situation and for your state.  I happen to know of an instance where the grandparents were denied custody, but they were not good custodians for the child, and the underage girl gave the baby up for adoption as a better alternative.  It was a legal matter, decided by family court.

3. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

I just dont understand what shes thinking. I grew up without a father and it sucks, I couldnt emagine growing up without eithor parents or family... She knows what its like to since she has not seen her father in 7 yrs..

1. Misha profile image63

Unfortunately, such things tend to repeat from generation to generation...

My father died Misha

1. Misha profile image63

Does not matter really why. What matters is you grew up without father. It's a lifestyle you lived, live, and pass down to your kids...

Sorry it may sound harsh, I don't mean to blame you - you are a victim yourself smile

Yea he died when I was a baby.

2. Paradise7 profile image68

Your daughter is 16 and pregnant?  She might not be thinking right, just at the moment...It's upsetting for her and she has no experience dealing with these kind of life situations.

Yes and I feel she is too young to make these kinds of decisions...

3. Uninvited Writer profile image78
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure if the baby were adopted it would have two parents and most likely will have a better life than a grandparent or a 16-year-old girl can provide.

4. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

I have no idea Kmackey, but I would float this thread a bit longer. Hubpages has some great researchers and legal minds, some workable ideas will follow. smile Good luck with it all.

5. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

Who May Adopt
    Citation: Cons. Stat. Tit. 23, § 2312
    Any individual may adopt.

Who May Be Adopted
    Citation: Cons. Stat. Tit. 23, § 2311
    Any individual may be adopted, regardless of age or residence.

Who May Place a Child for Adoption
    Citation: Cons. Stat. Tit. 23, §§ 2501; 2502
    The child's parent(s) may relinquish the child to a child-placing agency or directly to the adoptive parents.

6. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 13 years ago

Hi KMackey-

It's great to see you.  I've missed your kind presence around here.  Gosh, I really wish I could help by giving you the information you need, but I know nothing about the law there.  I'd imagine it would be pretty easy to find out either through enough Googling, finding the right person, or even the Legal Aide in your area.  I am sorry to hear how stressful things are for you now.  I know you will get it worked out, you are always so strong.  Virtual hug???

Gees I hear ya, at this point you would think I would be as strong as a rock as many things as I have to deal with....lol I think I may call children and youth services on Monday, I am sure they may have some information on it...

1. profile image0
        wordscribe41posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Keep us posted, that sounds like a good plan.  You're only human and I know I'd feel the same way.  But, you ARE being strong by being proactive.  Keep us posted, okay???

7. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I think when your daughter's wildly flailing hormone levels calm down a little, you should grab the opportunity to sit down and really talk to her. If you are willing to bring the child up, do you do it as an adoptive mother, with your daughter effectively becoming big sister (I've known several families do this), or are you willing to leave your daughter as mother and offer her all support going - including babysitting every other night while your daughter enjoys her teenage years?

I'm sorry, I have no idea whatsever about US laws so can't help you with legal rights or whatever, but I think the very fact that she is underage and still a minor must give you some rights.

But it's her you need to talk to, she must be frightened, no matter what face she puts on to the world. She's only a baby herself.

Big hugs to you whatever the outcome smile

I'm not sure if she was screeming tonight because of her hormones or what but she was screeming that she dont want the baby... I just would be devistated if the baby was adopted out to some strange family when theres plenty of family to take care of it....

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How far along is she?

3 Months..

1. IzzyM profile image87
            IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sh should calm down soon then? I'd have been a lot more worried if she was six months or more...
            Remember the hormones are really high in early pregnancy - that's why morning sickness usually wears off after the first three months. I feel for you, I really do. And your daughter has all the problems of teenage rebellion on top of everything. Keep us posted, all us extended family out here worry too. This wee baba has a LOT of ...was going to say 'Aunties', but we don't want to be Hubpages Aunties, do we??

Yea I hope its just her hormones and she really isnt serious

2. Jerami profile image58
            Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

a lot can change a bunch of times; in the next 6 months. 

Too early to worry.  Too early to decide on a plan.
              Never too early to begin thinking about which way you want to go about doin what ever you are goina do, whatever that is.

But don't worry about the bridge before you are ready to cross it.  Every thing usually works out for the best before we have to do much about it.
               That has been my experience.
            I worried a lot just to have everything come together before I could do anything.

Best wishes to you and yours.

8. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

I'm thinking that the teenage mother of the child has the right to put the child up for adoption.  that is all ,,, done deal. her rights are over

She does not have any rights as to who adopts the baby.
       apply for restraining order to stop other adoptions procedings from going forward,
       Get temp. custody of child pending your adoption verivication. Something like that anyway.

The child services will either aprove you as being suitable or not.

Keep it out of the courts as much as possible  I think.

That is what I'd tell  my lawyer' sometimes they need a little help as to what you are wanting. Then see what he thinks   
       I'm not a lawyer just a hillbilley.
      Would be a no contest proceedings with the mothers concent.

I will try to have my daughter just give me custody but in the last few months she has became a very defient teen, as alot of other teens... lol lately everything is what she can do that theres nothing I can do about...

9. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

Kmackey there is a lot going on here but please have a look at my post above before you call CYP. Do some research and know what is legally available to you. CYP is a corrupt organazation that serve no purpose other than to destroy families. In my corner of Pa. we have Mid-Penn legal services who provide low or no cost legal assistance to those who qualify. Not saying that you do I do not know you I am just strongly encouraging you to save and protect your child and grandchild by not involving CYP.

Oh Ohma I so understand your concern with that agency, many of those workers are corrupt alcoholics and drug addicts, yea working to protect are children!!!... But I do know one woman who I have learned to trust and I have contacted her in the past when my daughter first got pregnant 3 months ago, she was a big help to me and informed me of my rights and was a big help with my daughter...

10. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

kmackey, not to add concerns that aren't the issue right now (especially in view of this particular thread); but I thought this was worth mentioning (since your daughter is likely to change her mind one way or another over the next months).

I know someone who had a daughter who had a baby at 16 (pregnant at 15).  The baby was born and boyfriend had little interest.  Then there was another baby (same boyfriend) 2 year later.  The boyfriend still had little interest.

The young mother messed up (although - really - she had taken pretty good care of the babies for the most part).  All of a sudden child services got involved (when the mother messed up) and contacted the boyfriend.  Before this girl knew it the boyfriend and his parents had custody of her two children, and she never again got custody back.  He moved the children too far away for this financially-challenged girl to visit, and when she couldn't get to visits it made her look even worse than she had before.   

The boyfriend and his "lovely" parents were "pieces of work", so as soon as he got custody of the children (who had shown no signs of learning problems or other "issues") the little kids (missing the mother they so loved, and whose biggest mistake had nothing to do with them) started to have "issues" because of it.

My point is, you and your daughter should probably not take for granted that the father wants nothing to do with the baby; because he's another one who may change his mind.  Also, if the state agency were end up involved in your daughter's life, they may drag him into the baby's life out of "pushing" his "responsibility" as a father.  (The boyfriend I'm mentioning is not the only father, married or not, to show little interest until "the time comes" - and then all of a sudden get "real interested"   hmm  )

So, again, I don't want to add a new "cloud" over things (although I imagine you may already have thought of this anyway); but I'd hope you and your daughter keep in mind that she may need someone to make sure her rights (one way or the other) are protected against the kind of thing I described above.

Just another note:  One of my grown children was adopted from infancy.  (I had the other two myself.)  Even as an adoptive mother who absolutely, absolutely, has always loved, loved, my son in every bit the same way I love my other son and daughter; I do think it's simpler and less disruptive (in a whole lot of cases) for children to be raised by someone in their birth family.  If my daughter were that age and expecting I wouldn't want her child placed for adoption either.  I'd also worry that making such a decision as such a young age (and before brains are even finished developing) might mean the teen gets older and regrets her decision.  On the other hand, one reason a lot of young girls opt for adoption is that their parents pressure them.  Obviously, you're not one of those parents.  Your daughter must know that already, even if the two of you have been arguing.  Kids know that stuff.

Having said that, though, the other side is that I know how very, very, much so many adoptive families can love a child in every bit the same way they'd love a biological child.  As my son's mother, the one difference between him and the other two was always that he had his "birth story"/"beginning story" that I had to figure out what to say to him about it and when (and how to present in a way that I hoped was "just right", so I wouldn't leave him feeling like I'd either not acknowledged his birth story, refused to share important information with him, or else made a bigger deal out of it than it really was for him.

I hope you and she can find an attorney who will truly watch out for both of interests (and the baby's).  Based on the "horror story" I had when I left my marriage and lost custody of my own children, I hope you don't count on any state agency, alone, to protect your interests and your daughter's (or even the baby's).  They say they're out for "the best interest of the child", but they can be big, giant, screw-ups who buy whatever lies someone throws in their direction.  (Again, sorry to throw some additional gloom into the discussion here.  I'm just hope, for your sake, you know to be very careful about having the right interests protected.)

Hang in, though.  Chances are your daughter is just going through the "Oh my God, what have I done" phase of early pregnancy.  hmm

11. profile image0
    cosetteposted 13 years ago

that is patently RIDICULOUS. my father was a drunk, my mother was an abuser, but i don't drink and am a fantastic mother. what makes you the fount of wisdom where this is concerned, hmm? this woman came in here asking for help with an obviously emotionally charged issue and you make offensive comments but as long as they are peppered with smiley faces and "i'm sorry"s that makes it ok? yikes

and "kimmy" prances in and makes this thread all about her, as her need for attention is off the charts.

i love how a handful of "cool kids" runs things here at HubPages and ignores the antics of their buddies and pounces on anyone en masse who dares to say anything against one of their little clique members.

that's why you're so smug, you and your buddies.

the only problem with a pack of hyenas is, it's a pack of hyenas. sooner or later, they will turn on each other when no fresh meat is available - it is the nature of the pack.
    ugh.....

1. Misha profile image63

Wanna take offense on this? Be my guest smile

2. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cosette, do you mean my post?  Yours came right after mine, but I don't see an indent.  I wrote a reply, but I thought I'd take it off until I make sure you were referring to my post.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)