what should be done with these drug cheater in baseball

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Lgali profile image58
    Lgaliposted 14 years ago

another hero MANRAM

1. leeberttea profile image57
      leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think drug use should be legal though disclosed. Really what's the difference if everyone is able to use them? Is it any different than technology improvements on equipment?

2. Bob Cedar profile image58
    Bob Cedarposted 14 years ago

I honestly think they should be kicked out of the league. That's B.S. But it's all about money, the big hitters bring in the big bucks, so I don't know.

1. profile image0
      SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with this statemnt. I also belive they should be charged with drug use and forced to serve time just as anyone who was caught with pot would be.

1. Lgali profile image58
        Lgaliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

good take

2. Bob Cedar profile image58
        Bob Cedarposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah but it's different for finding drugs in the system. Having drugs in your system isn't a crime,unless your doing something while intoxicated that's causing a disturbance or driving(which doesn't really apply to 'roids)

And to Wedding Consultant those are a different class of 'roids (sorry I think that's funny saying it like that tongue). I was prescribed some also for bronchial infection when I was a young 'en.

I just think it's B.S. because of the money they get paid for their performance. It's like being paid big bucks for winning a foot race, but you were wearing roller skates and a rocket booster on your back the whole ti....hmmmmm roller skates and a rocket booster
        *heads to his drafting table to design some blueprints*

3. WeddingConsultant profile image65
    WeddingConsultantposted 14 years ago

I say we get rid of the "sport" of baseball.

1. Lgali profile image58

very nice LOL

4. WeddingConsultant profile image65
    WeddingConsultantposted 14 years ago

SirDent although I agree with you that they should be serving time if they're doing drugs, I think the "drugs" being referred to here are legal when prescribed but not legal for professional athletes in MLB.

Steroids are a good example. I had that prescribed to be as a child whenever I got poison ivy/oak/sumac. It's legal for me to take it, but an MLB player couldn't take it if he was to continue in MLB.

So if they're doing drugs such as pot, sure, they should serve time. And if they're shooting up steroids on purpose, sure they should serve time. But if it was accidental, that's a different story. (But do I think it's accidental- yeah right. I'm sure it's on purpose.)

Having said that, I think we should just scrap baseball! haha Let's stop addressing the symptoms and just get to the root of the problem.

1. Lgali profile image58
  5. Colebabie profile image62
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Give 'em a swift kick in their shrunken cojones. That's a start smile You just lost 8 million dollars buddy... that sucks!

1. Lgali profile image58

nicely sad swift kick

6. Mimbi profile image59
    Mimbiposted 14 years ago

I think it's unfair for them to use drugs to become better, I would think someone who makes as much as them and has as much time as them would spend it really becoming better, not artificially changing themselves to preform better.

Mimbi

1. Lgali profile image58

good take

7. Everyday Miracles profile image85
    Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years ago

It sets an unfortunate example for those who see these men as heroes. If your hero does drugs, does that mean that you should, too?

WC, it's a different kind of steroid. Anabolic steroids are illegal.

1. Lgali profile image58

they should be ban for 2-3 years

8. Dolores Monet profile image94
    Dolores Monetposted 14 years ago

With all the hoopla about drugs in sports, you'd have to be crazy to use them. And these doctors prescribe them, no doubt also consulting the manager or coach. Makes you wonder if there was some shady dealings there, maybe somebody got paid off to give him the drugs. Everybody knows the athletes get checked. hmmmm
    And as far as pot. It would be idiotic to arrest someone because they have pot in their system. I don't think they legally can. And besides, give the poor pot smokers a break. They've been scapegoated long enough.

1. Bob Cedar profile image58
      Bob Cedarposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Look at Doc Ellis, pitched a no hitter tripping on Acid. Far out.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dock_Ellis … _no-hitter

2. Lgali profile image58

good take

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes I agree, you have probably nailed it.

9. Lgali profile image58
    Lgaliposted 14 years ago

How about legalize all drugs in basball

10. The Phil profile image59
    The Philposted 14 years ago

1st offense, half the season...
    2nd offense, GONE

Right now, this whole steroids deal is a JOKE. Is it me or does anyone else remember that there were over 100 OTHER PLAYERS that failed drug tests in addition to A-Rod. Why have these guys been spared??? MLB wants nothing more than for this whole thing to be swept under the carpet to be forgotten (...especially when all these nice new billion dollar ballparks are going up).

Crackerjacks anyone?

1. Lgali profile image58

Nice way to end this problem

11. jcales profile image54
    jcalesposted 14 years ago

I am sure somebody will find another drug to raise their energy levels.

Why suspend him 50 games?

Let him play for FREE for their respective teams and pay 50 games of salary to the league?
    or a charity to be named by independent 3rd parties.
    Or to their teams state budget. (the states are hurting now)

owner still wins as fans still come. The state wins a little bit from their shortfall.

Doe suspending him to anyone any good for paying fans or people?

Make the suspension beneficial to people or fans instead of hurting them. It is entertainment after all.

Fans still like A-Rod, they will still like Manny. They still like Kobe (rape trial), they still like Jordan (gambling), Barkley (DUI).

12. kblover profile image86
    kbloverposted 14 years ago

I think they should be banned for life from the game. How is cheating at baseball "better" than betting on baseball (what Pete Rose did)? Both are corrupting the sport. After all Shoeless Joe is barred from the HoF for being part of the "Black Sox" that threw the World Series, which is cheating.

Any money they earned on their contracts that year should be repaid to the team (or I like that idea of to the state the team operates in).

If they are illegal (as in against the law, not just against baseball rules) then the suppliers/doctors who made the steroids available should be hit with jail and a fine as well. Doctors should lose their right to practice.

13. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Do you grown up people seriously think ANY pro sport is possible without drugs?

1. kblover profile image86
      kbloverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

100% drug free? Probably not. If nothing else, drugs to treat injuries will be around so they can return to play faster. There are probably "supplements" that help with muscle-gain/retention/flexibility that's allowed and could be considered a form of drugs.

However, if there's rules against certain drugs/creams/whatever being used, then they shouldn't be used.

1. profile image0
        jacobt2posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree here, and of course it is possible. Look at all the great players that are clean.

14. profile image0
    MangoGirlposted 14 years ago

I seriously don't think I think so.

15. profile image0
    jacobt2posted 14 years ago

all of their records should me marked- like with an asterisk or something. Other than that, they should not be allowed in the Hall of Fame, and the current rules and procedures that are in place now should stay, such as suspensions and fines. I wrote a long hub on this topic if you wanna check it out: http://hubpages.com/hub/Steroids-In-Baseball1

jacob<><

16. profile image58
    prince1244posted 14 years ago

If you were a team owner and your star player was being paid 20 million a season, was batting 500 and packing the ball park and you found out he was using performance drug, would you turned him in, cut him or turned a blind eye.

1. profile image0

I would turn him in because when he does get caught and it is found out that you knew, you will be in just as much trouble as the player.

17. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Well, clean just means have not been caught yet. Keep daydreaming smile

1. profile image0

Whatever, they take multiple random tests. For example, Ken Griffey Jr. is a great player who has never used illegal substances. He has had plenty of injuries and passed tests to show that he has not used these banned drugs. Not every player uses...that is a ridiculous accusation.

18. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Just a kind of curiosity - do you also still believe that politicians act primarily in the interest of their voters?

1. profile image0

No, and players don't act primarily in the interests of their fans, but there are rules that the players agreed to and are supposed to follow, and plenty of players do follow them.

19. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

I believe a player should be suspended for a number of games  for each positive test and after 3strikes your done or for whitesox fans "he gone." I also know you still have to put the work in if you used banned substances to get better. whats in that pill bottle or syringe wont make you hit the ball farther, it will help you add muscle in strength that will drive the ball farther. You also have to work on your swing as you add size and strength or your swing will suffer!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)