What type of poetry truly intrigues you?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (51 posts)
  1. profile image50
    MrDSpadeposted 13 years ago

The type of poetry that intrigues me is the type you would not expect to read, something creative and out of the blue. Something odd and something that's truly deep within the possibilities of the human mind.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

that intrigues me?  definitely Poe, Blake. Emily Dickensen, Rumi.
      Rilke, the old English romantics, Tennyson, pre-raphaelites

1. profile image50
        MrDSpadeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ahh yes, your into the romantic poetry and other varieties which is good, i believe variety helps you gain more of an insight of what you write and read...........

2. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Spade:
      I may write the kind of poetry you like.
      If you get a chance, read these in the order I post them and let me know if they "fit-the-bill."

http://hubpages.com/hub/Qwark60
      http://hubpages.com/hub/qwark61
      http://hubpages.com/hub/qwark14

Let me know if they do.
      Thanks...:-)

1. alternate poet profile image68
        alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

and if you don't like that then you can check mine out, or there are a quite a few on here who are worth a read

1. profile image50

alternate poet i will check out your poetry as well like i said before variety is like more experience gain.....

2. profile image50

Thanks qwark I'll be sure to check your poetry you've talked about and i will leave comments to let you know i was there......

1. qwark profile image61
          qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Spade:
          I'll look forward to it...:-)

3. zanfad profile image59
      zanfadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The most creative out of the blue I've read is Anne Sexton - her confessional poetry has drawn me in. Great poetry should surprise and delight in both meaning and words, draw the reader into a world they didn't see before.

2. Shadesbreath profile image79
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

I like the old school poets whose work was so deep and steeped in the allusion and erudition and discipline that used to make poetry (art) deep and expansive and not only requiring careful study, but worthy of careful study.  Art you learn from.

Not so much of that any more.

1. profile image50

Shadesbreath thanks for this comment i really appreciate what you said cause without old school writers to learn from there wouldn't be that great deal of writer's in the presence of today.........

3. goldenpath profile image67
    goldenpathposted 13 years ago

I used to indulge in the traditional poetry.  However, given the current state of things in society the only poetry I wish to hear is the sound of a responsible and caring parent correcting and teaching their child.  Heck, even the vulgar language of a child against their parent who has just corrected them is a song to me.  It means that the parent is doing their job and that's it's getting to the child. smile

1. profile image50

goldenpath i can respect that, we all have are own perspective which makes it all so interesting.............

4. MadCowWritings profile image60
    MadCowWritingsposted 13 years ago

I love Bukowski and Neruda. I get intoxicated just reading their lines. The two best damned poets in MY universe.

1. profile image50

MadCowWritings i don't recognize these poets but i will look them up to find there work, thanks commenting..........

5. H.C Porter profile image80
    H.C Porterposted 13 years ago

My love of poetry stems from the Beat Poets Generation. I enjoy writers such as T.S Elliot and Wallace Stevens...and then of course Poe, but he came to be in the mid 1800, which is not exactly the Beat Generation which I believe is defined to be in the 1950's, if I am wrong about the year-sorry...

1. Shadesbreath profile image79
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

T.S. Eliot is one of my favorites.  That guy was deep.  Reading his work is so amazing (and humbling).

1. H.C Porter profile image80
        H.C Porterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree. He is one of the best in my opinion  smile  Have you read Wallace? Eliot was said to be inspired by him...

I think this is how one of his poems ends (I cant remember the beginning word for word), it is called
        -Sunday Morning (it is about a woman dreaming of Jesus)

She hears, upon that water without sound,
        A voice that cries, "The tomb in Palestine
        Is not the porch of spirits lingering.
        It is the grave of Jesus, where he lay."

And in the isolation of the sky,
        At evening, casual flocks of pigeons make
        Ambiguous undulations as they sink,
        Downward to darkness, on extended wings.

2. TheGlassSpider profile image63
      TheGlassSpiderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh my....Did I write that in a dream...are you my alter ego?? LOL

T.S. Eliot is my all time favorite. I cannot read The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock without crying. All of his work, poetry or prose, is amazing. He is self-deprecating, funny, observant, heart-wrenching and more.

Pablo Neruda is another favorite...He just makes me melt in my heart...and *cough* other places...lol

You better watch out, I may be just that (alter ego)  lol...

I like the Waste Land by Eliot and Hollow Men...guess the despair and train of thought and seeing the truth for what it was in his eyes-appealed to me when I first read them...

1. TheGlassSpider profile image63
          TheGlassSpiderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey, if that's the case, I couldn't ask for a better alter ego! ;-)

Yes, those two are particularly spectacular. Have you read Eyes That Last I Saw in Tears and The Hippopotamus? The first is sorrowful and beautiful, and the latter is cynical and hilarious.

Don't you just love the poetry that is cynical?
            It pisses so many off and brings up so much in a persons spirit and soul... It is all in perception...
            I would have to say that is one of the beautiful things about poetry...Although what the author was thinking and feeling when writing is important- it is just as/if not more appealing to know how each individuals draws inspiration, judgment or what not out of each line that is drawn together within a poem?

3. profile image50

H.C Porter, the beats generation huh how intriguing you really seem like you thrive on poetry which is inspiring and interesting. Myself i wouldn't say i thrive on poetry but a variety of stories, poetry and comedy so much within my mind it's hard to just narrow it down to just one.

The Glass Spider, it seems like i need to do more digging in poetry of old and new to strengthen w hat i write or I'll just look to you for more titles to check out...........

Shadesbreath, you making me more interested in reading poetry created by T.S. Eliot........

4. Origin profile image60
      Originposted 13 years ago

Anything that is well written (at least to me), as well as deep and emotional. Something that makes you think.

1. profile image50

Origin, yeah it seems we have somewhat of the same standards on that.......

5. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 13 years ago

Thomas Hardy

1. profile image50

Interesting..........

6. cheaptrick profile image75
      cheaptrickposted 13 years ago

I don't know much about poetry but I really like the poems buy that guy from"Nantucket"!They allways start the same.

"There was a young man from Nantucket"!

1. profile image50

cheaptrick, i myself am no poetry expect but if I'm writing poetry i like to get more of an insight on it and yes I'm familiar with the Nantucket poem.........

7. MadCowWritings profile image60
      MadCowWritingsposted 13 years ago

I tend to go for 'disturbing poetry' a lot of times, and yes I forgot to mention Jose Garcia Villa as one of my faves as well, I just can't get enough of his provoking lyricism and violent modernism...

1. profile image50

MadCowWriting, i understand you have problems and you read this kind of poetry to resolve your issues but it is quite interesting reading them though, LMFAO...................

Seriously though they are something to keep you on the edge of your seat, sometimes i find writing about disturbing and disarraying poetry can really bring out one's creative ability........

8. Pearldiver profile image68
      Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

The visual portrays of Haiku.

1. profile image50

The visual portrays of Haiku sounds very intriguing thanks for commenting, Pearldiver............

9. NightEmpress profile image61
      NightEmpressposted 13 years ago

William Blake
      Charles Baudelaire
      Me

1. profile image50

Interesting and i see you added yourself in the mix, hahaha, i might have to check out your hubs NightEmpress.....

10. Healthy Living Is profile image57
      Healthy Living Isposted 13 years ago

Great post. I enjoy being an individual!

1. profile image50

Yes thanks for the comment Healthy Living Is..........

1. profile image0
          MrMidNightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What type of poetry intrigues me? mmmmmmmm, let's see it's has to have choas and destruction, disarray is always good as well, it's has to catch my eye. Keep me intrigued, you know really motivated to read.

1. profile image50

Yes in a way i agree some great poetry is based on choas and disarray in human life.

11. IntimatEvolution profile image68
      IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years ago

Erotica

1. profile image0
        VenomsEdgeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Action and suspense, something that keeps you entertained.

12. wesleycox profile image71
      wesleycoxposted 13 years ago

My favorite poet is Edgar Allan Poe.

I like poetry that actually rhymes.

13. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 13 years ago

The type of poetry that intrigues me most...hhmm...I don't know what it would be called, but here's an example, a portion of a poem I wrote years ago and would like to know a bit more about if I knew anything about poetry.

Can you see what I hear, said the blind man to the deaf man
      Can you tell me what I see, said the deaf man to the mute

I can't remember anymore, but it keeps going in that fashion.  A complete conversation between the blind man, the deaf man, and the mute concerning what is and can be seen, heard, spoken.  I understand it, only because I wrote it, but didn't want to acknowledge it at the time.  It was an internal struggle within myself to be myself.

14. GoldiString profile image61
      GoldiStringposted 13 years ago

J.H.Prynne: "On The Matter of Thermal Packing"

15. Ben Evans profile image65
      Ben Evansposted 13 years ago

I like William Wordsworth.  He is a master image painter with words.  smile

16. profile image0
      Gracie Sophiaposted 13 years ago

I like poetry that can have multiple meanings--a play on words--a play on emotions. Poems that make meaning to many readers.

17. europewalker profile image79
      europewalkerposted 13 years ago

Sylvia Plath

18. profile image0
      philip carey 61posted 13 years ago

I have no pre-selected qualities. Like a beautiful woman, I know a good poem when I encounter one.

19. 2uesday profile image65
      2uesdayposted 13 years ago

I like the description and thought provoking mystery of Rilke's

'You Who Never Arrived.'

I like the rhythm and song of the language in Dylan Thomas
      'Under Milkwood.'

and though I should hate it I like the poem
      'The Lady of Shallot.' for the images it conjurs up.

20. Me, Steve Walters profile image79
      Me, Steve Waltersposted 13 years ago

Personally...I like "Manly" Poetry. big_smile

1. t.cobbler profile image61
        t.cobblerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

before I started to write I had never read a poem. I must say that I dont realy care for the ones that rhime.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)