tips on improving traffic

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (30 posts)
  1. djtphn1 profile image72
    djtphn1posted 16 years ago

Seems like i have tried everything in the world to improve my traffic to hubs. I have followed all the directions on the little arrow that says how to increase traffic, etc etc.  I submitted my sites to socail bookmarking sites, like Digg and I do participate almost daily w/ them so they don't ban me like I have been warned. I have experiemented w/ writing stuff that has a high keyword popularity, like thta Carla Bruni hub, which has been on the first page of google since I wrote it practically, but really did not do much good.  I just feel frustrated, I guess, and need a little hublove and some advice as to is there anything else I am doing wrong.  I know my articles are indexed by google, cause I check.....but, I am wondering if the title of my articles have something to do w/ it, as when I do a google search, seems like most of the time the entire title is the only thing indexed and not just the keyword tags????anybody have any advice, I appreciate it.
    Thx
    DJ

1. makemoneyonline profile image38
      makemoneyonlineposted 16 years agoin reply to this

As kowles said it takes time to get traffics. Also you have only 13 hubs that's not much to have a chance to get traffics from search engine. I think 50 hubs would be more reasonable.

1. Lissie profile image76
        Lissieposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I don't that the absolute number of hubs makes a difference - if you write on the correct topic with the right title you can do quite well quite quickly though - and then you add more hubs around the same theme/topic.
        When I started full time on the internet in Sept I thought it would take about 3 months to start making some money - now  I think its probably more like 6-9 months!   And the last 2 weeks have been weird in terms of traffic - I have done better than I thought in some areas - but none of the patterns that had developed since Oct on Hubpages have held up - so OP if you are looking at only the last 2 weeks remember that for most UK/Europe/Australia we're in the middle of 3 weeks (another week to go) shopping, eating, drinking ,recovering !

2. Maddie Ruud profile image72
      Maddie Ruudposted 16 years agoin reply to this

DJ... Just took at gander at your blog and realized that you are posting entire articles both there and here on Hubpages.  Better not to have duplicate content, because that will boost your traffic here.  Instead, do what you've been doing with outside sources, and write a paragraph about them with a link saying "read more here."

Hope that's helpful.

Mads

3. Jerrico Usher profile image56
      Jerrico Usherposted 16 years agoin reply to this

focus on writing hubs.. thats it.. get them on there, if you build it, they will come.. smile as you write the hubs take breaks to learn more.. read hubs on traffic (just pleasure reading, then fan them if you like them (so you can find them later ) get yourhead around the ideas and concepts but major in writing new hubs.. I do this, I write hubs but constantly all day go check out the forum and hubs on tricks, I dont work on leanring them so much as opening up my mind to the concepts.. a splash if you will, as I know many of the hubs and articles I read will repeat these tactics so I'll learn it anyway, get the terminology down first.. relax into it and you will get excited, not anxious to try a new tactic.. dont burn yourself out, write and enjoy it.. you can always later tweak them to SEo standards.. look at the long term, know that money will come KNOW it, see it in your minds eye but be realistic and know it wont come soon, your going to lost your mojo if you keep worrying about waht you cannot rush.. I got faith in ya!

Jerrico

2. Peter M. Lopez profile image72
    Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years ago

I assume you also use stumbleupon and reddit.  Those will help with traffic also.  But, what sort of traffic expectations do you have?  If you don't mind me asking.  I'm not sure many experience extremely large volume on all hubs consistently, but others may have different perspectives.  Also, it seems that hub volume is as important because all of my hubs get some traffic everyday which has a cummulative effect.

Personally, I do not focus much on key words as my primary hubs are pretty specialized anyway, but I always have traffic spikes from stumbleupon, reddit and digg.  I also post links to my hubpages on my blog and squiddoo lens.  I'm not sure if any of this is new to you, but maybe something will help.

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 16 years ago

I've been building web sites for a decade now, and I suggest you don't work too hard at building traffic during major holidays.  Lots of people who would be ordinarily surfing the web just plain aren't.  They are doing lots and lots of things off-line and will continue to do so until after the 1st of the year.

I've got some Hubs that are seasonal, and only draw strong traffic when they are "in season."  Others are fairly steady year-round.  To get more even traffic overall, you sort of need a mix of Hubs, and some go up while others go down.  I don't spend much time on social bookmarking sites as I'm not interested in endlessly bookmarking web pages.

I may experiment with Hubs, but I don't really experiment with topics just because they might have high keyword popularity.  High keyword popularity is often accompanied by a lot of other web pages, and that means it's also more competitive.  I stick to what I know, so I can bring something unique, and create a niche for my Hub.  IMHO, that's how you get traffic.  It's not enough to catch Google's attention, you have to catch a reader's attention too.

4. djtphn1 profile image72

Thx to both of you above.....

5. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

I think it is too soon to tell. It took some time to get traffic to some of my hubs. As the amount of comments grows and people tell their friends and leave links around, it grows. I am not really writing on "hot" subjects and the traffic has been growing about 30% a month although I did have a spurt to my Christmas recipes on the run up to Christmas.

By 'Hot" I mean sexy women's photos which seems to generate  the most traffic quickly.

And I am not sure if anyone outside of France knows who Carla Bruni is. I live here and I had to ask. big_smile

I found I was getting traffic from France to one of my hubs that was leaving very fast, so I translated it into French and now they are staying longer. smile

What criteria are you using to decide you are not getting enough traffic? You might be surprised at how little traffic some things get.

6. djtphn1 profile image72

Well, I just started this thing, I am writing as fast and as much as I can at this time. I am always thinking of new things to write about....I guess I am just impatient......anyways that is probably my biggest problem so I will just continue on and see how it goes.
    Thx

1. rogerbeta profile image60
      rogerbetaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

You need to think long term, it will give you a better perspective, just don't give up.

2. makemoneyonline profile image38
      makemoneyonlineposted 16 years agoin reply to this

It is natural to be impatient. So was I. In fact I was even discouraged at the beginning as I didn't see any earnings except a few cents from time to time. I takes months and months to get decent results so be very patient. Today my earnings is at 60$ far below the stars like sunseven, ruddie, ... here but I'm happy because I didn't even expect such earnings from my hubs (not just the one I'm posting under but from others and also other platforms).

Also if you want earnings write on commercial products.

1. Jerrico Usher profile image56

can you explain this writing on commercial products thing? (any hubs on this tip?)

1. Lissie profile image76
          Lissieposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I found this hub from hubpages useful http://hubpages.com/hub/In-depth_vs_Broad basically you have to write about something people are going to want to buy - people looking for free info or info on a non-commerical product e.g. ancient China aren't looking to buy anything - someone typing into google - "which gps is best" does want to buy - if your hub matches their query they are more more likely too click an ad than  a member of your fanclub just seeing what youve written

3. Maddie Ruud profile image72

That's how I was at first.  And it took awhile, but things picked up, and I slowed down, and now I've found a happy medium, and I'm doing well... without all the complexity that coolbreeze described, that i'm not sure i understood.  i don't use affiliate links to other sites, and i don't write anywhere else, and i'm still quite happy with where my traffic and $ are at...

just my two cents.  don't give up.

but is the money good as in you can live on it alone or are you just making "hobby money"? I would like to make this my full time job eventually so I'm wondering if anyone has reached that zenith where this could sustain at least the rent (900 a month) so I could write my books and not wast my time at conventional jobs honestly 2,000 a month would be perfect for me but I'm wondering how typical that is (concidering I have like 1000 hubs up and all making decent hits that kind of thing, not typical like most people who arent worried about making money so they dont go above the grain to making linkbakcs and other blog forums networked sites etc etc..  so far I've only heard people are making chump change doing this like 4.00 to 60 a month.. just curious.. thanx for any advice you guys could throw at me..

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72

well, Jerrico, i'm not totally comfy with spitting out exact numbers, but i have said i consistantly make about $10 a day (which has been steadily increasing) on Adsense alone, plus very decent checks (well, not literally, i do DD) monthly from both Ebay and Amazon.

i do do some freelance work for other folks as well, off the net, along with my own personal projects, but i'm totally comfortable with how things have been going here, and confident that they'll continue to improve.

as far as your personal situation, only you can know if you have the patience to stick it out.  but i can say that 1000 hubs in 4 weeks is not the way i would have gone.  i have less than 200 in my 7-odd months here.  i've checked out your hubs, and i think it would be a good idea to try and focus your topics a little more.  "coolest things i've ever seen" for example, i think would work better as two seperate hubs... you could do an entire hub on sidewalk perspective drawings, which would probably get more focussed traffic and backlinks, and probably more clicks too, because your audience would be one that was specifically drawn to the subject-specific keywords that are determining your ad content.

again, just my 2 cents.

2. relache profile image72
          relacheposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Jericho, I'm not understanding what you are talking about, saying you have "1000 hubs up and all" when in fact you've only got 12....

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72

Heeheehee.  I must not have been paying attention.  I just quickly glanced over one or two of them.  Blonde moment.

7. djtphn1 profile image72

Weird how it goes, I got like 80 hits from google today on one of my hubs, my traffic according to analytics increased by 80% in one day from that hub......but wow, what'd I make a buck or two.....no, I am not complaining, I am just going to keep it up and keep doing what I am doing. I could not believe I got that many hits, but the majority only hit that one page, only 20 viewed more than the one hub....and my profile seems to get the most traffic, just can't explain people can you. I experiement w/ different things cause I am new, so will come to some sort of comfort zone eventually, I suppose..... Anyways, all good advice my friends and i am happy to be here ,even if I only make enough to buy a cup of coffee at starbucks, hey, that is better than last week!!!!

man I was at .01 for a week or two then one day a single click got me .29 from 128 impressions one click, nothing since.. my hubs are getting alot of traffic, especially 3 of them that are popular right now, but from 640 impressions this week I got a single click, one, uno.. 29 cents smile but I got pretty excited to see that 29 cents concidering its 28 times what I had.. go me! patience is a must work also, its a process, dont quit your day job yet but like most infomercials say.. lol, minutes a day, well I spend 8 hours a day writing, for now I want to get hubs up there, so write write write I will I'm not focusing on money yet, I'm working level 1 get hubs up there, when I get about 300 or so I'll stop writing and focus on getting those 300 hubs SEO optomized, maybe rewrite them, ad to them or replace them at any rate this will be my phase two, learn SEO learn keywords and learn learn learn.. its college time for blog for cash networking tactics.. when you learn that your ready to write in SEO format on the fly better.. but the rebuilding of the hubs you made already will give you insight into what you need to learn, change, and add/subtract and so on.. ongoing hubers tell you what you need to do, its the beauty of this place there all so helpful.. if you focus on money your going to demotivate yourself, my way I cant lose motivation because what I want to do is write, my currency in this phase is the comments that tickle my funny bone.. I love it..

after Phase 2 I should be making at least a little money which will excite me and make me want more and so its a long process but one that take times and trial error and test test test
      the learning curve never stops but at some point you'll know enough so that learning curve is just another day at the waterhole playing with your passion.. currency comes in many forms.

I've given myself 2 years to clear 2,000 a month and I'll definately hit it, but I'll hit it systematically so I can have some fun and get substantial grounding going, lots of articles.. once I learn and grow here at hubs I'll find other places to write too.. in essence this hubpages is my college of choice.. what I learn here I'll eventually use elsewhere and will be ready for them, no spreading myself thin trying to rush the money which will just burn me out.. fun is the key.. I love making the articles I use this as a way to learn and to share what I learn for potential cash.. 29 cents or 29.00 its exciting to see it grow even if its slow.. its like finding 35 cents in the couch coushins.. its currency in the form of hope and dopamine releases when you see your making SOMETHING.. doing what you'd do anyway.. I've written for years free, so I'm now using my writings (original) to create my hubs but ideas are never stopping so I'll always have ideas..

sorry for being winded just wanted to share my structure.. when I hit 2,000 a month I'll love the money because I've earned it.. getting it for no work is ok, but you respect it more when its worked for, so I have no problem putting in the sweat equity first.. its funa ctually my currency is also in recieving an amazing education about a world I never knew about..

have a great 2008 year of prosperity !

8. coolbreeze profile image42
    coolbreezeposted 16 years ago

Great posts   relache  Lissie  Mark Knowles    Peter M. Lopez  djtphn1

Of course just my opinion after working on line for ever it seems. 

Many other marketers might agree with me.   

Yes Marketers that what we are, we  many of us are producing content to create an income.

Hubpages is only one aspect of  making money online. Its not the end all platform to create cash.   

Dont get me wrong I love this place but dont think you are going to create hubs and make money just by doing that. A few might but not many.

Heres my friend take on making money with hub pages and blogs.

yep....and a hub at www.hubpages.com trust me when I say you need MASSIVE effort to reap the rewards...
    let me show you an example....say we look at crafts and home hobbies...like cross stitch or flower arranging...
    50-100 articles on crafts...linking to blog about crafts, with links to sales/review page
    some more articles linking to your squid then a few more linking to your hub at hubpages
    some usfreeads linking to a mix of the three and your review page
    and some more articles...and your blogs RSS feed...created at www.feedburner.com have this linked to your squid...if you are digging deep enough you will not be short of content to put in these....and go ping them every two days at the ping sites I showed above
    It looks like a lot of work in writing...but I could do this for a niche and have time for a bottle of wine or 3 over the weekend..lol...you get my point about massive action though?
    Take it to em soldier  Create Your Success

According to Jamie who is making money It takes massive effort!

9. Peter M. Lopez profile image72
    Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years ago

I agree coolbreeze.  I doubt there is any one avenue that will do what some hope.  All of those things you list are extremely important pieces.

10. sjtpalmer profile image58
    sjtpalmerposted 16 years ago

The speed at which Hubs get picked up by Google, and the trust it gives them is incredible. I've seen some of my hubs rank within hours for keywords that are somewhat competitive.

My best advice is to write a completely original hub, focusing on a particular keyword phrase. Don't repeat in constantly, just use it in your headline and tags.

11. djtphn1 profile image72

What is completely original these days?  It seems like ANY topic you pick, there are other people out there that have at least some of the same information. not trying to be negative, but I think and think, and then when i think I have come up w/ something original, other people have similar thoughts on the same subject. I can choose to try and look at it in a different light, like I just tried to do w/ my Byetta hub, but I literally could find nothing bad to say about Byetta, excpet maybe that drug companies make millions off people's misforturne, but I am sure that has been covered as well..... so oh well, just made a somewhat informative hub that I posted on my blog and here too, just to post it, not that anything about it was original.....but I am sure I can come up w/ another angle about it, but, did not really take that much time to format it.....my serial killer/doctor blog, i took alot of time and still other people have been down that road.....I just keep plugging along and whatever I feel like writing about, I do, and I hope to only improve...it has only been two weeks since I have been here.  so thanks, i will try to put my originality thinkiing cap on for the next one.
    DJ

Nothing is original, everything is just reworked ideas of the past, but by original its usually meaning a unique perspective- yours- on a topic. The topic of love for example has been written about to death, their is nothing no ones not covered, but I can still write my original angle on it, because I write based on what I've learned AND my experiences insights and advise.. I may write an article that includes in one place more topics than any other article out there (i.e. no one else has these exact "ingredients" in their explanation of this part of love..

one thing I do that I'm finding is pretty original is taking a subject like wishes and using it to spin out psychology facts.. its both entertaining and gets some fascinating points across, no ones quite written about what I have how I have.. also I write in a way that is knowledgeable but personal, when you read it even if you knew the information already the way I write it you can feel the "me" in it, my perspective which no two people have the same perspective..

don’t try to reinvent the wheel, just write a new way to see the same wheel that inspires a sense of innovative writing style that will give them a fresh perspective in a fresh way, sometimes two people writing on the exact same information will have two completely different sets of data, and one person may learn two different things based on how they saw it, and it could make a holistic approach possible even though its the same info its written in a different way, multidimensional perspective can become exciting. personally I love learning about something in many different authors representations of it, i get something new from each one and get deeper down the rabbit hole each time.. hope this helps

Jerrico

12. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 16 years ago

Maybe he left out a bit where he was meant to say "I plan on having..."?

It's always a good idea to edit even forum posts for clarity and comprehension. Indeed there's a Firefox plug in that will do a spell check that works with posting in forums.

1. stubbs profile image65
      stubbsposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I downloaded that a few weeks back and it's graet!

1. Isabella Snow profile image86
        Isabella Snowposted 16 years agoin reply to this

LMAO!

13. djtphn1 profile image72

Hey, this was my original post and don't know what the heeeeee.... happenend but whatever, I get it now....I don't know what happened w/ jerricho and his hubs or hugs or whatever,.  traffic comes and it goes.....that is what I have figured out, it comes in surges and then it dies, you just have to keep writing and hope for the best and I really don't know what happened here in this forum, but it is very interesting and I am gong to bed now!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)