Is this even legal?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (29 posts)
  1. DJ Funktual profile image76
    DJ Funktualposted 15 years ago

http://www.howtobuildamoneymakinghubpage.com/

apparently Jerrico has decided to use me as his selling pitch/friend on HIS website!

I have asked him to delete my name but alas, he has not. 
    Not that anyone's gonna read it anyway..but...is this legal?

1. jimmythejock profile image83
      jimmythejockposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I am sure it is not legal, permission must be attained from the parties concerned, it seems that you have refused him permission to use your name therefore his word can only be classed as fraudulant, seek legal advice I am sure that you have a real case DJ.....jimmy
      p.s Iam sure Hubpages will be interested in his copying and pasting from the forums.

1. Lissie profile image76
        Lissieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I don't see why - if he did it too much it would certainly be his new domain not HP which wouldn't be indexed - but as it is the quote is a very small percentage of a long page

2. Jerrico Usher profile image55
        Jerrico Usherposted 15 years agoin reply to this

DJ I wrote that a while ago and haven't touched the site in a couple weeks, at least not that page.. but from a legal standpoint I'm not in any way using your name(I think I used "DJ" and your not the only DJ out there, when you trademark "DJ funtual" I'll not use that either, and linking to your hub or even talking about you is not breaking any laws. Linking to the forum posts is not either actually and nothing has been "copy pasted " from the forum.

Had you simply emailed me to please remove you I'd of obliged, but being rude is as you know the first way to make me rigid, even spiteful, I know the law, my rights, and even your rights which you don't seem to know yourself (that's not an insult that's apparent from your thread here), and if I wanted to I could produce a whole page about you without breaking any laws, so long as what I said is factual, like you using pictures that are copywritten on your hubs, and so on...but honestly DJ I don't dislike you, I understand your irrational anger towards me, misplaced I believe, but your ego is eating you alive, not me.

I think your just trying way too hard to piss me off, you say you don't like me but here you are checking out my site, why did you even go there? I noticed you went to my hubs alot this week as well why?... your going out of your way to stalk me now not just here, what is your problem? I calm down, start to become mr nice poster and you guys try to reset me, make up your mind? hate me or tollerate me, but at least be consistent, not hypocrytical... your breaking your own advice to me by writing this thread!

and by the way you never told me to remove anything... and until I break some law I'm not removing anything from my site, if you have a problem with me writig about you (not in anyway negative either) then take it up with whomever counts... as that site is not affiliated with hubpages they cannot make me remove anything...

again I'm not breaking any laws, copyright or personal, your hubs are in the public domain so if I want to link to them I have every right, although the only thing I've linked to was your profile I think... your being pretty rediculous, and spending way too much time stalking me bro... and if you'd like to seek legal advice I can point you to a prepaid lawyer.. not that jimmy's advice is useful because nothing I'm saying is fraudulent...

Jerrico

2. Dorsi profile image86
      Dorsiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Gosh I have no idea of it's legal or not but maybe you can turn this into a positive......
      and make good traffic for both of you......
      Just a thought.........

1. Jerrico Usher profile image55

He doesn't even realize he lost a buttload of traffic, traffic I only gave him because he was moaning in the forum about not makig any money... you try to help someone out...

3. Jerrico Usher profile image55

Thanks for the promotion!

4. Jerrico Usher profile image55

I updated my site. Your Welcome.

2. EpicTreeHouse profile image61
    EpicTreeHouseposted 15 years ago

You have no legal protection over facts.  He wrote facts.  I'd say he has the law on his side.  The fact is that you did say the things, and the rest is opinion...Also, legally protected.

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

DJ, the best thing you can do is turn it into a virtue.  Ask Jerrico to include some links to your Hubs and YouTube presence (and anything else) in return for using your name.  That way it becomes a plus for you instead of a minus.

You know marissa my notation abou thim was a complement, it was also free traffic as it lands on my index page which I'm going to highly promote, but you know I would gladly remove anything that made someone uncomfortable, but in this case it's more about him trying to start a fight for some reason I've bruised his ego, secondly I won't remove it because of the way he's decided to persue and stalk me... I can't let him think that he can just be like this and get away with it, although I will be removing linkbacks to his hubs/profile because I'd hate to promote traffic to him, I will however change the name to someone who'd actually appreciate the complement... barny has shot himself in the foot and wasted his one bullet...

Jerrico

4. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 15 years ago

If he's using things you said as part of his efforts to earn money on his site, and he's doing it without your permission to be utilized as an example, you've got a legal case against him.

sue me. In california if you lose your case you have to pay ALL the court fees for both sides, if I lose which I won't I can afford to pay them.. can you?

5. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

I don't see anything wrong with it however HubPages may, as someone is making money off of their name. But that's between them and Jerrico. As for DJ I agree with Marisa as he should use it to his advantage and we can only wait and see how this pans out.smile

Let me clear this up right away. I asked hubpages to use "hubpage" in my url title and was given the green light by Ryan BEFORE purchasing the domain. I'm making money only signing people up to hubpages so they want me to do this so long as I don't break tos or infringe upon their logo's or trash the site's charactor... none of which I am doing.

Jerrico

1. AEvans profile image72
        AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Jerrico, Thanks for clarifying and the best to you.smile

1. AEvans profile image72
          AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

By the way I haven't any issues with you using me as I do think your idea is very creative and I am happy to support you on this , the best of luck to you and blessings !!smile

2. Ryan Hupfer profile image61
        Ryan Hupferposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Just to clear some things up, I did tell Jerrico that it was OK with me(HubPages) if he bought the domain. But if he's using other Hubber's names, content, etc. in a way that they don't support, then that's something that the Hubbers involved will have to figure out.

Even though some things are technically legal, that doesn't necessarily mean that they're acceptable practices and should be done without permission from everyone who's involved. Know what I mean?

I just hate to see all of this happening when it could be avoided just by simply using examples from a Hubber who is OK with being part of Jerrico's latest and greatest plan to single-handedly dominate the online world. Sounds like an easy fix to me...

2. Jerrico Usher profile image55

He realized I stopped posting in the forum and thus took the air out of his sails because he was standing on and being fueled by people hating me... actually the last several posts I've gotten nice replies and have actually behaved in the forum, even kept all my posts shorter than 200 words... and here DJ is trying to provoke me. This is not about anything else but his trying to rekindle the fight. I won't give into him, he will have to fight with someone else, not me.

Jerrico

6. Lissie profile image76
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

Jerico is linking back to DJ's profile (and to Jimmy's as well) AFAIK you can't stop anyone linking to your public web content - which includes profiles and forum posts.  From what I read - I got bored 1/2 way down and skimmed LOL - he's not  defaming anyone - he only repeats what DJ said on  a forum post - that's certainly not illegal. And he is (in theory) sending traffic to the profile pages he linked to - which is nice but not actually required.

If you don't like the guy DJ ignore him : you've probably just doubled his traffic by posting his link here LOL

@AEvans - I don't see why HP would have a problem either - sure Jerico is hoping to make money from people signing up with HP - but so will HP: he's not pretending to be HP or defaming HP or misrepresenting them - its called free advertising as far as HP is concerned

7. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Wow, you are making a progress, Jerrico smile All comments but one are readable!

And yeah, I think DJ overreacted. Understandable, frankly - but still overboard...

I'm trying, but it's not easy when others are allowed to provoke me unneccessarily. Seems I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't... owell, I'll just try to ignore it...

Jerrico

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Jerrico, I agree DJ was a little over-sensitive but as you know, he still has a bit to learn about SEO.   Personally, I wouldn't mind if someone quoted my forum posts provided it was giving my writing some free publicity - but DJ obviously didn't understand that. Frankly, I didn't notice the links to his profile either (I was like Lissie and started skimming), so I don't think I can blame him.  Maybe a little note to tell him you were doing it would have headed off any trouble at the pass.

2. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You managed to piss off so many people so bad you have to give them some time to recognize you have changed. Just keep doing right thing smile

8. Julie-Ann Amos profile image63
    Julie-Ann Amosposted 15 years ago

You can quote any of my public domain stuff and link to all my pages and send me tons of traffic if you like! 

And you have to promise no moustaches etc on my pictures.  Not even extra eyebrows.

It's kind of nice if you ask someone first, though, I guess.  It'd give me a hell of a shock if I wasn't expecting it (thinking back to the stalker thread).

9. Julie-Ann Amos profile image63
    Julie-Ann Amosposted 15 years ago

PS Jerrico I just checked the page.

It seems to spend a huge amount of words on DJ (who you're NO LONGER promoting) and a teeny weeny mention down near the bottom to Jimmy (who you ARE promoting).  Have I got that right?

If so, I'd spend more time fixing up the page and less time being outraged in the forums if you'll take a word of advice.  The forums can wait, the page should be top priority while it has all this potential buzz...

And "fixing it" doesn't mean badmouthing another hubber on there - and that means pretty much anyone.  Because there is NOTHING that will turn off possible signups as much as that - nobody wants to join a bitchy club, and my understanding is it's newbies signing up you are after...

Just my two pence worth (probably worth about half a cent by now with the forex the way it is)

10. DJ Funktual profile image76

Jerrico,

first of all, I DID ask you to take it down.   if you choose to lie about it fine, but i did ask.

secondly, i haven't been to any of your hubs so your claims that I am stalking you is equally rediculous.

thirdly
    the reason i came upon your site, was because I was researching my OWN Name on google and I showed on the 6th page at YOUR website.  Did you honestly think that I was going to your site of my own choosing.  come on.

we may not get along but I never accused you of lying.  until now, b/c you are.

instead of just deleting my name (which is what people do in this situation) leave it up.
    it isn't a real big concern.  But your characterization of me changed I noticed.

you added these disparaging remarks
    This guy is a once upon a time DJ who researches a lot of information on Google and I suspect he's rewording artist reviews from other sites. This puts your hubs into dangerous duplicate content territory and can get your pages/hubs sandboxed (no visitors no paycheck).

I don't even do reviews but whatever.

I was not trying to induce another fight out of you, why would I?
    You say the same few things over and over and nobody reads it.

My question is...Why wouldn't you just take it down when I asked you to?
    I really don't care if you leave it up.  My audience is not going to be on your site anytime soon and even if they did, they would see right through your lies anyway.

It's up to you man, leave it up.
    It just shows people the type of guy you are.

I have no anger for your Jerrico, I just wish you'd leave me out of YOUR world.  Nothing more.
    I'll await your next response but the only appropriate one is to take it down.
    I won't hold my breath.

11. DJ Funktual profile image76

You asked me to get you back on the forums.  I did it.  You embarassed me.
    I ask you to take down MY name of YOUR site.   Nope. You disappoint me.
    No big deal but that's all there is to know.
    Your move.

12. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

Jerrico and I are friends so I suggested he take out peoples names.  I know if someone wrote about me and I did not like what they wrote I would request to have my name taken off their site.  Jerrico, you are welcome to write about me on your site because I appreciate the link love.  Use me as your example if you wish, I would not mind.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)