H.P. oil spill accident or intentional?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (35 posts)
  1. lightning john profile image61
    lightning johnposted 13 years ago

With all the problems the United States is having now, this oil spill is absolutely the last thing we need.  It is really hard to believe that American technology or lack of it is getting to this point. Is it possible this was not an accident?

1. TheGlassSpider profile image63
      TheGlassSpiderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Anything's possible, but my question to such a thought would be why...Who is benefiting here?

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why would you think it isn't an accident?

Stuff like this happens all the time in business, except on a smaller scale.

How many times have you heard about shoddy building in houses?  The accident happened because the construction company that built the well did a shonky job. 

In a system where profit is king and there is no regulation, companies are bound to cut corners to make a profit, especially if they think they'll never be found out.

3. Ralph Deeds profile image66
      Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not likely. [Pat Robertson probably is blaming it on God's punishment for gay tolerance.]

1. Alicia Ramon profile image60
        Alicia Ramonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good answer Mr. Deeds!

I think that there are coincidences in timing that make me doubt... and I really can't believe that they haven't been able to fix it... feels like preassure...

4. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe in never attributing to malice what stupidity alone can explain.

2. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

There's a conspiracy theory that democrat operatives opposed to offshore drilling caused the explosion. I think that's pretty far fetched, however.

I've heard that too, but wouldn't that sort of...defeat the purpose? I mean, people against offshore drilling are AFRAID of this very thing happening.

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Exactly!

2. KFlippin profile image60
      KFlippinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No more far-fetched than the theories that it was caused by BP or Halliburton or Transocean.  Even LovemyChris apparently was able to find ample evidence that the Obama admin. was agreeable to lessening oversight issues, that may well have led to this happening.

3. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

Listen to this one from Benjamin Fulford:

"The North Koreans also seem to be ratcheting up the pressure on South Korea to come up with a peace agreement. Sorcha Faal, the US Naval Intelligence information/disinformation site, claims it was the North Koreans who blew up the oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico. Our source in China linked to the politburo confirmed this, saying the new North Korean regime has decided to “display its strength, bravery and determination.” Since North Korea and South Korea are technically at war, North Korea is actually allowed to carry out such acts of sabotage. Other sources believe it was the Bush/Nazi faction that blew up the oil rig to spite the British and create distraction from their troubles. However, since North Korea has worked closely with this faction in the past, the two scenarios are not mutually contradictory."

Okay...so how trustworthy is that information? Or is that disinformation?? OMG how confusing...is it a site for information or not? How can one tell??

4. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

BP is a British owned global company. their annual sales and revenue for 2009 was 239 billion. you would think they would have had the technology in place to avert such accidents. sometimes I can't even believe it's happening, but when the wind is coming from the west, we can smell it. it's not a 'spill', it's a gusher. I have a hard time believing the BP execs.

1. Bill Miller profile image60
      Bill Millerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And you would think a space shuttle wouldn't blow up, but you would be wrong. Accidents happen, it is nothing new or anymore diabolical than a hurricane hitting Louisiana!

1. Alicia Ramon profile image60
        Alicia Ramonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The "diabolical" part in the Louisiana hurricane was that the consecuences were preventable... If prevention takes place, accidents don't happen... mistakes happen.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Rebekah, they did have the technology in place to prevent such accidents.  There are several safeguards that are supposed to be built into the structure of the rig. 

They simply never envisaged that all the safeguards would fail, and had no contingency plans to put in place if they did.

5. tony0724 profile image59
    tony0724posted 13 years ago

I have heard that it was actually sabotage. But I am having a hard time buying that one. But hey I have been wrong before !

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yeah, all the theories get thrown around, but I don't really buy that one either. I think it's simply negligence and poor oversight and regulation and not being prepared for this type of accident. There are 11 families without their dad or husband, or son, very sad. and we don't know to what extent it will have on our country, but it's much bigger than we're being led to believe.

6. lightning john profile image61
    lightning johnposted 13 years ago

It just does not seem right at all that it happens now with all of our technology. It would seem more apt to happen years ago.

7. Doug Hughes profile image61
    Doug Hughesposted 13 years ago

Glass Spider hit it on the head. Nobody benefits from this spill. It's a nightmare for the oil companies who were on the verge of a bi-partisan agreement to extend offshore drilling. The Obama administration was extending that offer as an olive branch in exchange for suport of the global warming legislation.

Also, interviews with survivors of the drilling platform don't describe anything that sounds like sabotage. It's a mess, but it's not intentional.

1. Bill Miller profile image60
      Bill Millerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Really? You don't think the Nazi's did it?

1. Doug Hughes profile image61
        Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why would I think Libertarians were involved?

8. lovemychris profile image76

Yeah, but look at these 2 headlines:

"Israel demands world 'respond decisively' to North Korea nuclear test"

"U.N. Command to probe investigation that blamed N. Korea for sinking ship"--

both from today, May 23...something IS going on with N. Korea!

At 1st I thought this was all about BP cutting corners to cut costs...but when I heard Haliburton was involved....that was enough for me. I think this was intentional...someone is sending a message,we just aren't privvy to any of what is going on...as we never really are.

9. lovemychris profile image76

and I'm just now watching that Ling woman who was imprisoned by the N. Koreans....
    hmm. something is up.

10. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 13 years ago

*sigh* Why would some people rather believe in ludicrous conspiracy theories, than accept that human beings can be incompetent?

lightning johnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I spoke with my brother -in -law the other night. He is a retired Exxon employee, and he said that it was a simple battery that was out in some safety valve on the rig.  It just really makes me sick to think that it was incompetence.

Not that a intentional explosion would be any better!

11. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

BP has a history of safety violations and spills in the recent past. last year in Texas City, 700 violations were found on their operations there!! many of them involving faulty valves.
    they've paid enormous fines. but their incompetence continues.

the final determinations of what caused this blowout in the Gulf is still being investigated. the procedure that was supposed to take place today has now been pushed back to tuesday or wednesday as oil & gas continues to gush into the Gulf.

Thanks rebekahElle!  Please let us know anything that you find out.

2. NathanSyckel profile image60
      NathanSyckelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is deplorable. There should be only be a certain amount of fines you can recieve before they have to start shutting down unsafe operations IMO. If a local restaurant has some health violations. It's a fine the first time, followed up by the business being shut down until proper changes can be made. That is what should happen with unsafe oil operations as well.

12. Evan G Rogers profile image62
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

I wouldn't say that this accident was intentional. After all, this has the possibility of bankrupting BP.

Although, who knows - after reading "Confessions of an Economic Hit Man" just about anything is possible now that government panders to the very whim of corporations. The important motif of that book was that the government isn't limiting itself to the proper constitutional boundaries and is being exploited by businesses. So, i dunno.

I would say, at the very least, that it was inevitable. Because government doesn't allow people to own waterways the proper price of an offshore oil rig is unknown -- How can we actually know how expensive it is to run an offshore oil rig when the price merely reflects 'who bids the highest' as opposed to 'someone selling the rights to drill in their property'? I'm still a bit confused as to why owning a waterway is considered madness when all that a lake or river or ocean is is land with water on top.

Anyway, there would have been more safety measures put in place if there were a private owner (or private owners) of the gulf of mexico. The owner(s) would have demanded tighter safety measures, a lot more money as some sort of 'risk insurance', they could have sued BP really hard after the leak, and they would probably have demanded to know *AHEAD OF TIME* how BP would respond in the instance of a huge oil spill. --Heck, I know I would demand those things if I owned the land/water.

Alas, government prevents people from owning and protecting the water ways for no good reason whatsoever. Alas, the price of offshore drilling merely reflects "who bids the highest" instead of "the true price of business".

I wrote a hub on this, check it out. (I also take a few cracks at Paul Krugman!)

13. lovemychris profile image76

Everyone is pointing the finger at BP, but look:

"Giant oil-services provider Halliburton may be a primary suspect in the investigation into the oil rig explosion that has devastated the Gulf Coast, the Wall Street Journal reports.

Though the investigation into the explosion that sank the Deepwater Horizon site is still in its early stages, drilling experts agree that blame probably lies with flaws in the "cementing" process -- that is, plugging holes in the pipeline seal by pumping cement into it from the rig. Halliburton was in charge of cementing for Deepwater Horizon."

Wall Street Journal people!

"Drilling Process Attracts Scrutiny in Rig Explosion".....

Incompetance..OK. After all, soldiers died in their showers due to faulty wiring by Haliburton, but it was deliberate incompetance to save money.

Haliburton employees were on that rig 20 hrs before this thing blew.

You might say *sigh* how can anyone think it was deliberate?

I'll just say:  Torture. Lying to facilitate Shock and Awe.

Don't think they wouldn't do it in a nano-second.

1. TMMason profile image60
      TMMasonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You know Chrs we may not agree on the minutia... but we agree on the really big stuff. They are all in cohoots...

14. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 13 years ago

Whether it was unintentional incompetence, intentional incompetence, or just intentional doesn't really matter in the end.  The risks of offshore drilling far outweigh the benefits.

Grey's Law:  "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."

15. profile image0
    zampanoposted 13 years ago

Prokoviev and Walt Disney have a hint about them causes...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5wjtx … ideogames/
    oh. if the thing bugs, just click on "cancel all" once or twice and it will keep its course.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)