Choosing Your Dream Career

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (22 posts)
  1. RGraf profile image87
    RGrafposted 15 years ago

If you could choose your dream career what would it be?  It doesn't have to be anything that you have to commit everything to.  Just what would you do if money, time, or anything else was not an issue.  Something that fulfills you.

I would teach adults. I love to teach, but I don't have a degree so getting a paid position right now is not an option.  I get my teaching urge out by periodically teaching classes at church, but to do it all the time smile  I would love that.

1. BDazzler profile image77
      BDazzlerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I had my dream career, at one time, I wrote AI and Physics simulations for high-end games. (From '94 - '99)  "Big Names" - ABC Sports, NFL etc.

It consumed me, burned me out. I got what I asked for.  But, perhaps, it was not what I really wanted.

1. RGraf profile image87
        RGrafposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It's a wise person who can say that.  Finding what we really want is not always easy or apparent.  It took me many years to discover that I yearned to teach.  I thought accounting was the thing for me.  As the years went by I discovered that it wasn't.

2. Ray Saunders profile image59
    Ray Saundersposted 15 years ago

I'd be an A&R for a record label or music journalist for a big magazine. I love music to death...

1. RGraf profile image87

Question - what is currently stopping you?

1. Ray Saunders profile image59
        Ray Saundersposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I currently like the job I am doing now but I'm building up that experience for the dream job now for later on. I'll get there eventually.

1. RGraf profile image87

Good for you!!!!!!!

3. Moon Daisy profile image79
    Moon Daisyposted 15 years ago

I share your wish to become a teacher.  I've been wanting to teach English as a Foreign Language for a long time.  I don't know how good I'd be at it, but I'm hopefully going to do a course and some volunteer work to see if I'd be suited to it. 

(If you want to teach but don't have a degree, then this might be an option for you too.  The Teaching English as a Foreign Language, or "TEFL" courses are normally quite short courses and they prepare you for teaching adults.  I'm really sorry for going off on a tangent here, but I just wanted to suggest it in case you hadn't heard of it before, or considered it!)

1. RGraf profile image87

No need to apologize.  Thank you.  I think I had heard of that, but didn't think of doing it.  I sort of did it a few years back when some friends of our from Iran moved in with us.  They knew very very little English so I taught them through daily activities.  You would not believe how much improved.
      Thank you.

2. Ray Saunders profile image59
      Ray Saundersposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I've heard about doing those courses as well. As a matter of fact, I've had friends who are doing this now or are already teaching overseas. From what I hear, it's a great experience and really not that difficult to get into.

4. t.keeley profile image77
    t.keeleyposted 15 years ago

Well, I went to college to be a high school or college science professor. It was because I needed (and still do) the money to live off of. Since money in this scenario is not the issue, musician fulfills my "dreams." I play with a band right now but it's not even close to making me a living, certainly would like it to though. We enjoy what we do and we do a good job at it, in my opinion, but who knows exactly where it will go. It's my desire/prayer that it works in the end, hopefully sooner than later because day jobs are only hindering the progress. If we signed a label I'm decently sure we'd make a living doing music, at least I'd hope so.

1. RGraf profile image87

Good luck with that.  I think that we can always find a way to make our passions a reality but it does take time and sometimes that time includes working at those day jobs that suck it out of us.  Keep at it.

5. t.keeley profile image77

I don't want to spend my next three years clawing for a dream I'm not meant to fulfill though...and trust me, I'm not sure it's in my future with everything else going on outside of it...

1. RGraf profile image87

I hear you.  In a way I feel like I have wasted some time, but I look back and I gained a lot of knowledge and experience without even realizing it.  Then I took a leap of faith and said I'm going to actively seek that goal.  I'm seeing so many confirmations and blessings since I did this.  I'm not suggesting to quit the day job, but pray about it.  You never know when a leap of faith lands you in the promised land.

6. t.keeley profile image77

I got a leap of faith every week this past year and honestly, it's wearing me out. I'm wondering when it's going to end, when God's going to deliver me from everything that is making life considerably harder...

1. BDazzler profile image77
      BDazzlerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps ... God is giving you more strength, so that the things in life that seem hard, will seem easier?  Justa a thought.

7. t.keeley profile image77

It is a thought...one that's crossed my mind on a continual basis too, and I am not sure how much I can take with everything going crazy around me.

8. RGraf profile image87
    RGrafposted 15 years ago

Hind sight is always 20/20 and when we are in the midst you cannot see it.  I've been there so many times.  Sometimes it is good to share these feelings with others and actually really plan out how to fulfill that dream.  Sometimes others have ideas that you never thought or maybe they didn't realize where you were heading.  They might know how to help you get there.

9. t.keeley profile image77

Yeah good points....we'll see. Im still young but I was hoping to not have these crazy struggles all the time when I was young, you know? Maybe it'll make up for an "easy" (is there ever such a thing?) life in the end...

10. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

We have all experienced it one way or another and just stay strong and keep your faith. There is light at the end of the tunnel and always remember that somebody,somewhere out there is feeling the same way right now, this very minute and second , with your faith you will prevail.

Here is something that I will share with you as a reminder to be strong, I am certain that you have read it before, but here it is again:

FootPrints in the Sand

One night a man had a dream. He dreamed he was walking
                                       across the beach with the LORD.

Across the sky flashed scenes from his life. For each scene
                                     he noriced two sets of footprints in the sand:One belonging to
                                     him, and the other to the LORD. When the last scene of his
                                     life flashed before him, he looked back at the footprints in the
                                     sand.
                                     He also noticed that it happened at hte very lowest and saddest
                                     times in his life. This really bothered him andhe questioned the
                                     LORD about it:

"LORD, you said that once I decided to follow you, you'd walk
                                       with me all the way. But I have noticed that during the most
                                      troublesome times in my life, there is only one set of footprints.
                                     I don't understand why when I needed you most you would leave
                                     me."

The LORD replied: "My son, my precious child, I love you and
                                      would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering,
                                      when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried
                                      you.
                                      author: unknown

You see he is carrying you, hold your head up smile

1. RGraf profile image87

I absolutely love that poem.

1. AEvans profile image71
        AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Me too:) Dud you see the thread ? It bumped my words in and out I hope I fixed it.smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)