Sexual Offenders and the List

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (32 posts)
  1. RGraf profile image89
    RGrafposted 13 years ago

Before I get into what I really want to say, let me clarify this.  I have no sympathy for those that molest little children.  I have three myself and I want to protect them from the sick minds out there.  That being said...

I personally know a man who was 18 and slept with a 16 year old.  He was beyond foolish.  No question about that.  Most 18 year olds do not have many brain cells functioning properly.  She became pregnant.  He was charged with sexual assualt through the act was voluntary on both sides.  He was legally an adult.

Fast forward many years later.  He is still on the list.  He is trying to get his life straight.  Companies won't hire him because of this felony.  If he doesn't get a job to pay child support, he goes to jail.  He has to find a place to live outside the halfway house or go back to jail.  His PO will not approve any of them because every place in this very very small town is near a park, library, museum, school, bus stop, or has a child living somewhere nearby.

Where is the justice is treating a foolish teenager who a few months earlier would have receiving nothing from the legal system the exact same way as on who hurts a ten year old?  Should there be levels of sexual offenders so that all cases can be handled properly?

1. profile image0
      china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I guess your list is in the US - it is the same in the UK, there seems to be a vindictive and vicious campaign to get anybody onto the sexual offenders list for the smallest offence - that has nothing to do with serious sexual offences that the list was made for. 

I note a young guy touched a policewomans butt, got a fine or jail - I don't remember - but he was then put on the sexual offenders list.  This is feminist Mcarthyism and witch-hunting at its finest. 

The pity of it all is that Judges and especially Magistrates seem to use this just because they can, and it completely negates the point of the list which is to protect our children from paedophiles and women from rapists.

1. RGraf profile image89
        RGrafposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree. It seems the law doesn't want to be fair at times.  It wants to put all the bad people away.  In the process it is pulling in a few whose only crime is stupidity.  Someone touching someone else is not rape.

2. swesley01 profile image60
      swesley01posted 13 years agoin reply to this

It may not seem fair, but you know, some time or another, our society should learn to open their eyes to things that have happened in the past and adjust themselves so that it does not happen again in the future. I have heard of several instances that this has happened to people, but you know, if they have not learned from the mistakes of others then I am sorry this country is going to fall apart. Most of the average American citizens are so busy living their live that they do not pay attention to what is going on in the world around them, so the government can take advantage of us even more because society is so busy and living with blinders on that the government can get away with practically anything, and that includes making the lives of our young that have made mistakes suffer the rest of their lives for them.

3. blondepoet profile image66
      blondepoetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No he does not deserve to be on the list. Teenagers make mistakes, I think he has been punished enough.
      They should not put these young teenagers on the sex offenders list unless it was a case without consent like rape etc.
      They were practically the same age, young, silly, an age when you learn from your mistakes. Don't we all make mistakes.

4. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely. All kinds of injustices occur under our current systems for dealing with sex "offenses," especially those involving consensual sex between young people.

2. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Yes absolutely there should be levels. In the UK, a girl under 16 is considered a juvenile. So, say she is 15 and he is 16, he could end up on the Sex Offenders Register, but to my mind they were the same age and if they choose to have consensual sex that is their business, even though she is underage.
    That is quite different to a man of, say, 32, having sex with her when she is only 15.
    But the Law treats them the same, and I think that's wrong.

1. RGraf profile image89

In my mind an 18 year old is the same age as a 16 year old.  Why should they be punished for a stupid act that would be ok legally a few months earlier?

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When I was 16, 18 years olds were too immature for me, I was looking at 20 year olds!
        Yeah...to be honest for a sixteen year old girl, any guy under 25 is fair game.
        But in the quote I made above, it shows the stupidity of the Law. Two kids, almost the same age, but one gets labelled for life? How unfair is that?
        The Sex Offenders Act, or its US equivalent, should be for offenders, not young lovers.
        Then again....where do they put a cut-off age? Girls are sexually maturing earlier...13?...12?
        I think, in all honesty, if we have to have a minium age, and we do and for good reasons, then we have to look at the age of the partner.
        There could be a sliding scale...the nearer in age he is to her, the less likelihood of his being placed on the sex offenders register.
        Or is that too complicated for the bureaucrats?

1. RGraf profile image89

It probably is too complicated for them.

A sliding scale would be good.  And taking into consideration how long they were dating.

1. Ivorwen profile image65
            Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I had an acquaintance who was arrested for indecent exposure on her 18th birthday.  She always said the best gift she could have gotten was a pair of handcuffs and a note reminding her that she was now an adult and would be held responsible for any and all bad behavior.

3. Milla Mahno profile image60
    Milla Mahnoposted 13 years ago

So, you think if say 30yo would have sex with 13yo - without any violence, mutual consent, using condoms, both having fun - he deserves the treatment you just described, right?

1. RGraf profile image89

That is too big of an age difference for consent.  I'm talking about when the ages are so very very close.  30 and 13 is sick.

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh good God...

Not another person advocating people having sex with kids.
      PLEASE go away.

1. RGraf profile image89

Did you read what I wrote.  An older man with a child is wrong.  An 18 year old still in high school dating a 16 year old for the last 2 years now goes to jail for their activities?

2. profile image0
        china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Typically you purposely misread a post.  The question is whether the two things warrant the same treatment= the poster was clearly not advocating the disgusting behaviour that is so clearly at the front of your mind.

3. darkside profile image66
      darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure you read the same thread post as I did, and I'm astounded that you would make a response like this.

4. Friendlyword profile image60
      Friendlywordposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Fool

1. Milla Mahno profile image60
        Milla Mahnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you talking to me?

1. Friendlyword profile image60

I'm not sure.  I'm talking to the fool on this forum comparing a 30 year old child molester to a 16 year old child that has sex with another 14 year old child. Are you that ridiculous FOOL?

Yeah, you live up to your handle. I'll leave it at that smile

1. Friendlyword profile image60

Address the outrageos statement SOMEONE made on this forum about a child.
              Oh...I try my best.

2. darkside profile image66
            darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I see the difference. Ignore those that are that obtuse and ridiculous that they have others wondering if they're deliberately trolling or if they really are that stupid.

4. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

I agree with IzzyM.
    Each case should be considered on its own merits or lack thereof.

5. Milla Mahno profile image60
    Milla Mahnoposted 13 years ago

Why?

1. RGraf profile image89

Why what?

Why older man and younger girl is wrong?

1. RGraf profile image89

Not with a young child.  My 14 year old is way too young for a man in his thirties.

I see how you feel, you did not answer why you feel that way though. smile

1. RGraf profile image89

Because a 14 year old can easily be swayed by a much older and sophisticated looking man.

My post is more for those that are not really older yet fall within the legal limits.

Probably yes, but is it really related to sex? If he is just a friend? Just a teacher?

And for your post - I am trying to understand where do you put the boundaries, when it is OK and when it is not - cause you have to have them if you propose a different approach for different ages...

6. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 13 years ago

My husband has a co-worker who is on the list.  They guy was arrested for peeing in his own fenced in backyard!  It makes me very distrustful of the lists.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)