For the puzzlers out there

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (23 posts)
  1. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Given: 12 coins, one of which is counterfeit and of a very slightly different weight.  One set of the old fashioned scales; the kind with a pan on each side to put weight on and compare to a weight on the other pan.  You get 3 weighings.  For discussion sake, number the coins 1 to 12; which one is counterfeit?

1. Ben Evans profile image64
      Ben Evansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You divide the stack in two. ( I am assuming the conterfeit is either heavier or lighter I am going to assume heavier.)  One stack is weighed against the other.   Pick the stack that is heavier and there will be 6 coins.

Split the stack in half.  Weigh one side against the other.  Pick the heavier stack.  There will be 3 coins.

Weigh 2 coins.  If they are equal in weight the one left out is counterfeit.  If one is heavier than the other that coin is counterfeit.

wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are not allowed to assume it is heavier - it could be lighter.  You don't know.

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The one that says Chuck E Cheese on it.
      tongue

Now you did it!  You made me spend ALL the coins for pizza!

2. wilderness profile image94

No takers?

1. profile image0
      woolman60posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Because you do not know what the actual weight, or the true weight of an actual real coin because not all coins weigh the same you can't be sure of selecting the correct coin to apply in the final weighing to compare each coin. Therefore weighing coins in not an option to find the fake coin.

If the 11 real coins weigh the same and the one counterfeit is different it is possible.

I am missing the trick.  In doing this there are only a couple of ways.  Halving is one way as I had described but then one more weighing is required  to figure out the one that is different.

One could start with 6 coins 3 on each side but the same thing happens and one last weighing is required to determine which one is off.  Starting in the middle is going to produce the least amount of weigh- ins.  Both of these are what would be termed "succesive approximation" which is the most efficient way to do this.

So I need to wait for the trick.

No tricks.  One COULD start with 4 against 4 (1/3 of the coins).......

Well you got me.  Even 4 against 4, I end up with 4 weighings.  I have tried both replacing coins and swapping them.

I am with Brenda.  I think you should buy us both pizza big_smile.

3. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

LOL
    Yum Pizza!

Well, my brain's no good at mathematical or scientific puzzles.
    I'm watching to see if someone actually comes up with the right answer.  Very interesting puzzle!

4. mrpopo profile image71
    mrpopoposted 13 years ago

I think we have to swap the coins during the weighings.

smile

5. Ben Evans profile image64
    Ben Evansposted 13 years ago

Okay this is a stinker.  I figured it out.

Weigh 1, scenario 1) Weigh 4 against 4.  If both sides are balanced, then the coins that weren't weighed contain the conterfeit. 
    Weigh 2, scenario 1) Weigh 2 against 2 voila you have it betweent 2 and you can compare weight on the 3rd weigh in.

Weigh 2 scenario 2) When weighing 4 against 4, if one side deflects then we know the coin is contained in the 8.  Swap 3 and which ever side changes action will contain the conterfeit.
    At this point we know if the counterfit is heavier or lighter by the initial action of the scale.  Weigh one of the three against the other and note the deflection........If there is a deflection then which ever side has the deflection will be the one that is conterfeit.  If there is no deflection, it is the coin that is left out.

Weigh 2 scenario 3)............There is no deflection among the three coins.  Then it is between 2 coins and one can be compared against another coin to determine which one is conterfeit.

Weight 2 scenario 4.  If there is no deflection, then the pile that is not weighed contains the counterfeit.  One of four on each side is weighed against each other and either causes a delection or not.  The last weighing will just be comparing since it will then be down to 2 coins.  big_smile

This caused me a lot of consternation.  I had to do this on paper because the odd one out does not readily come to mind.

IF I understand your actions (words don't always express it well), then wighe 2 scenario 1 weighs 4 coins (one known bad) with 2 on each side.  Right side goes down, but you don't know if it because that side is heavy or the other side is light.  You still have 4 coins, one bad, which you already knew.

weigh 2 scenario 2.  After swapping, if there is no change (say right side down, left up) then the bad coin is one of those not swapped - easy find in one weight left.  But if the action reverses (left side down, right up) then one of the 6 swapped coins is bad, but you still don't know if light or heavy. 

Weigh2 scenario 3 - not sure what you're doing.  3 coins on each side?  But which 3 coins?  I got lost

weigh2 scenario - Is it a redo of weigh2 scenario1?  I think I'm lost again.

I found this a fun one - it took over a day to figure it out!

This is kind of hard to put into words and I wish I could draw pictures.

I think you are right.

Actually there should be 3 scenarios.  4 & 4 balanced, 4 &4 unbalanced and still unbalanced after 3 are swapped, & 4&4 unbalanced and then balanced after 3 were swapped.

This was a good one.  This one cant be done with linear thinking because we try in our minds to rationalize these by number theory.  However, this needs to be drawn to see what is going on.

Thanks for a good teaser puzzle.

I'll post an answer this evening if no one finds it.  It might help to present a picture if each coin is numbered, and each scales pan (left and right) has certain numbered coins on it.  For instance, coins 1,2,3,4 on the left and 5,6,7,8 on the right - result might be right side goes down, left goes up.  Then swap (if I read you right) and put 1,6,7,8 on the left and 5,2,3,4 on the right with a result maybe of left side down and right side up.

I finally had to sit on the floor with 11 pennies and a nickel, moving the nickel around to test the "what if's".  Interestingly, the solution pretty much applies to anything from 3 to 13 coins.

6. mrpopo profile image71
    mrpopoposted 13 years ago

I almost got it. I found out how to do the scenario if 4 on 4 coins balance, I just need to figure out how to determine if one is heavier/lighter if they do not balance.

That was the easy half!  Had you found the harder half, the easy one would have been obvious.  lol

1. mrpopo profile image71
        mrpopoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lol yeah it was the easy half XD

7. wilderness profile image94

No takers?  I'll post the answer in a few minutes.

8. wilderness profile image94

OK, no answers so here it is.
    Number the coins from 1 to 12 for discussion purposes.  Scales has a left and right side - as one side goes up the other goes down.

Weigh 1   coins 1,2,3,4 on the left, 5,6,7,8 on the right.  Three possibilities; left side up, equal weight, right side up.

Scenario 1    equal weight.  One of the set of 9,10,11,12 is bad, the others are all good.  Weigh 1,2,3 on the left, 9,10,11 on the right.  If even, the bad coin is #12 - if you want the relative weight then weigh it against #1.  If the right side goes down (left side down is analagous solution) then 9,10 or 11 is bad AND heavy.  For the 3rd weighing, 9 on left, 10 on right.  If equal, 11 is a bad coin.  If unequal the side that went down has the bad coin; remember, you already know it is heavy.

Scenario 2  Uneven weight - assume right side down - left down is analagous solution. 

Weigh 2  9,10,11,5 on left side, 4,6,7,8 on right side

Scenario 1; equal weight.  The bad coin is either 1,2 or 3 AND is light.  Weigh 1 on left, 2 on right.  If equal, bad coin is #3; if not the bad coin will go up.

Scenario 2:  Unequal weight.  If left side is down, the bad coin is either a light #4 or heavy #5.  For third weighing, put #4 on left and #1 on right.  If unequal, the left side will rise and 4 is the bad coin and is light.  If equal 5 is bad and is heavy.

Secnario 3:  Unequal weight, right side down.  Bad coin is one of 6,7,8 AND is heavy.  Weigh 6 on left and 7 on right; if equal bad coin is #8; if unequal bad coin will go down as it is heavy.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)