why God's law said men could 'force' virgins...

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (66 posts)
  1. insanebutright profile image59
    insanebutrightposted 13 years ago

Can anyone come up with a justification on why God allowed rape on virgin women in the bible? Read Duet ch 22 near the bottom.

He was told to keep her as his wife afterward because he had "humbled" her. No punishment for the rapist.

Could anyone come up with a moral reason for God to allow this?

I came up with one. But you first.

1. Shadesbreath profile image79
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Because religions are written and interpreted by men.  Religion is regularly made a tool of power: to justify power, to define power, to give powers, and to bind the enthralled to he who wields power with Divine ordinance etc.

Sex is a primary urge in the male human, and often individual women prefer to pick their partners (or to grow to adulthood before doing it), and this can be troublesome to a desirous man with power. So, religion is made to serve his desire easily enough.

1. alternate poet profile image67
        alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not regularly - that is what it is all about, if it was the word of a god then it would be a male chauvinistic violent pig of a god

The only reason I qualified that statement is because, in theory, and in practice occasionally, albeit not for long, some religions are at least initially devised to create social order and give a common framework to a society, providing some important answers, a series of rituals to mark time and tradition, and to bind people as part of a larger community including rules that are underpinned by supernatural consequences.  It's the priests or shaman that corrupt it, or not.  At least that's what I've seen/read, etc., and come to understand.

I think that was primitive religion rather than the organised religions since writing became the in-thing.

When the Roman government official Paul re-wrote the christian religion to make it a trading religion he did it as a means of getting trade across borders etc - basically to do what diplomacy does today - nothing to do with religion at all at base.  He was just copying the idea from the eastern trade routes like the silk road where Buddhism provided all the safe stops along the way

1. Aficionada profile image79
              Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Paul was not a Roman government official at all.  Check your information.

I think you will find he was a tax collector.  No more official than that.

Nope. Still wrong.

Prior to his conversion to the Christian faith, Paul (Saul) was a "rising star" in the Jewish religious establishment, carrying letters of introduction and recommendation to allow him to rout out the Christians in certain areas.  After his conversion, he was a missionary who practiced tentmaking as a trade to support himself.

You are probably thinking of either Zacchaeus or Matthew (one of the twelve disciples), both of whom actually were tax-collectors.  But even so, they were not Roman government officials by any stretch of the imagination.  Throughout the Roman Empire, tax-collecting was like purchasing a franchise, not like being employed by anyone.  Tax-collectors were independent businessmen who purchased from the Roman government the right to collect taxes, and they had to turn over a fixed amount of their take to the Roman government.

Paul was not one of them.

1. profile image0
                    china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

that is not the bible description that was drilled into me as a catholic.

2. profile image0
              offensivetruthposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like how these guys swallow any sort of history book except the bible, just because it makes big claims from a God who is against them.
              a Flood, a coming judgment, just too much for them to handle.

2. insanebutright profile image59
        insanebutrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Or...
        If you take the stance that the bible is God's word, you'd have to find a moral justification for the rape allowance.

So I've done just that.

Perhaps women just don't like being loved for being intimacy objects. They would rather her intelligence or charitable deeds be respected, rather than meeting a biological need for respect.  But if she can't do something as honest as that, how do her other acts prove she is respectable? Maybe the issue is that she doesn't like to have to do SOMETHING FOR THE MALE to get respect. Maybe THAT'S why God allowed men to rape such women, to "humble" her.

No, horny men with power wrote verses to justify rape (polygamy) and whatever else, corrupting the purpose of religion so they could get a piece without having to answer to angry family and neighbors.  "Look, God said I could," as they point to the passage in the latest edition of the book.

Oh, you're saying that thinking I haven't thought of that already.
            Too bad. I have. The explanation I gave is something YOU haven't thought about.

2. IzzyM profile image87
          IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You got a problem with women?

3. ediggity profile image60
          ediggityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But what you wrote is not GOD's word.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you read the Old Testament, you'll find lots of situations where horrible acts are advocated - genocide, rape, child sacrifice...

Remember Jesus came along and said God was all about love, not hate.  I can never understand why, bearing in mind Jesus' teachings, fundamentalist Christians persist in swallowing the Old Testament whole instead of re-interpreting it with his philosophy in mind.

3. Milla Mahno profile image60
      Milla Mahnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cause he doesn't care I guess. Frankly I can to some extent understand male christians, but female chrstians are beyond my understanding - so much gender hate is in the babble...

4. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ediggity is correct.
      Just more hate speech fuel against your own ambiguity.
      Until you actually understand Hebrew translations, you might want to join the other Mickey Mouse clubhouse folk.

Congratulations!

Whatever her name was, truly messed you up.

5. Jane Bovary profile image85
      Jane Bovaryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So...women should be prepared to be raped if they fail to service mens biological needs? And that would be just and right because it's woman's ego preventing her from putting out?

Doesn't sound like a very sound moral justification to me. Try that one in a court of law.

6. ceciliabeltran profile image63
      ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

well it wasn't G-d ofcourse, it was the patriarch who put it down as G-d's work.

1. profile image0

`ello stranger!

1. ceciliabeltran profile image63

Hi there. I got your book. It's not yet there!

it takes forever these lulu guys

2. profile image0

When did you order it?
            I didn't see it come across my 'desk'.
            8 days in total, i think.

What? It should be here already.

7. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Insane:
      The god thing of the bible also gives men the right to rape baby girls.
      It's all there in the "good" book.

8. qwark profile image61

Why would this biblical god thing reward his killers with BABY GIRLS? It's all there to be read in the "bible."

9. Aficionada profile image79

In NASV, the word is "violated."

10. pisean282311 profile image64
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

it is simple ..religious books are not word of god but word of man who lived during those eras..

2. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

Have you even read all of Deuteronomy?  Every verse in there is about how you should be stoned or die if you participate in inappropriate sexual acts. It doesn't say what you wrote at all.

3. Haunty profile image75
    Hauntyposted 13 years ago

I certainly hoped we wouldn't have to hear your pathetic idea of a 'moral reason'.

4. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 13 years ago

The verse is congruent with Exodus 22: 16-17, If a man entices a maid that is not betrothed , and lie with her, he shall surely endow her to be his wife.

1. ediggity profile image60

How is this even close to what the OP is talking about?  This verse says that if a dude sleeps with a girl who is not married, then he better try to make it right by asking her father for marriage, and if the dad refuses he must pay.

1. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Because it's not rape. He is misinterperting the verse.

And 'enticing' her is supposed to 'humble' her?
          I think RAPE  humbles her, my friend.
          Those were two separate laws.

1. profile image0

Why then a few verses earlier (Deut 22:25-26) does he say that if a man forces himself on a woman he should be stoned to death and no fault should be found with the woman?

That was talking about a MARRIED woman. "every" word of God is pure...pay close attention to them.

1. profile image0

You are absolutely right but too bad he entrusted those words with fallable men. Plus There is always going to be a few interpertation problems when fixing 5000 year old words into modern language.

How else was he supposed to get his word put out? If it had to be through men, common sense says he can 'make sure' it is properly penned and translated and preserved, despite man's fallibility. Yes, if God didn't have anything to say or didn't want what he said to be CLEAR, he would've just left it up to man to figure it out from loose translations, rather than God making sure a perfect translation was made and the meaning literal, leaving no room for other interpretations: symbolic and metaphorical. And he'd make sure his Spirit beared witness to that book so people would know what translation to trust.

1. profile image0

I agree, the only way to interpert the bible is through the witness of the Holy Spirit, this is why he made it that way, so people couldn't rely souly on logic and common sense. There has to be faith in the translation process. a few verses such as;
                    "God has chosen the weak things of the world to confound the wise," or,
                    "Surely your turning of things upside down will be estemed as the potters clay," or
                    lean not unto thy own understanding but trust in the Lord with all your heart..."
                    these illustrate the fact that true understanding of the scriptures comes by revelation through fasting and prayer, and not nessicarily a theological degree.

2. ediggity profile image60

Oh Ok, then we are on the same page.  I think if he read the whole chapter he would understand a lot better.

5. SpiritLeo profile image64
    SpiritLeoposted 13 years ago

Men Men...

We, women, don't have such headaches!!!

Yeah, you only have headaches when we want something.

1. profile image0

lol

2. SpiritLeo profile image64
        SpiritLeoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Its our right!!! LOL

Yeah, yeah, story of my life.

2. insanebutright profile image59

Your right to make men suffer?

All because you don't like to have to DO something to earn MAN'S respect: put out. It's all about respect allright, as you women say. The problem is, I've figured it out more in detail what you mean by respect: that you don't want to have to earn HIS.

You know that's what you're doing, making men suffer. That's why you got to surround yourself with girlfriends and therapists who can assure you you're doing nothing wrong. The therapist will then tell you that your man's biological urges are an insecurity HE needs to fix. God slaps you and him in the face with a clever wink from omniscience: the-rapist (therapist)
          Rape was ordered long ago for people like you.

1. Cagsil profile image70
            Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Men can always find other avenues for releasing their hormone issues, and raping a women is not an option.

It's not about making anyone suffer? Give it a break.

Men do not suffer if they don't get sex. If they do, it's only to their own pathetic ego. Thus, so what.

What you just said PROVES my point.

Who's the egotistical one?

The man who actually has a legitimate biological need...

Or the woman who's only need is egotistical: to not have to earn respect by meeting his need?

Sounds like bait and I'm not biting. You're one who likes to play on words and twist to suit your own personal agenda, instead of addressing the facts of the situation.

Therefore, I will leave it simple for you to understand.

Right to life and right to choice/right to choose is given to each person on this planet.

Right to life - You are in control.
                Right to choose- You are in control of what happens in your life.

Man and/or Woman, are equal. Period.

One may not infringe upon another person's individual rights. Period.

Woman chooses to not have sex with a man, regardless of reason, it is her RIGHT to make that CHOICE.

The man will have to find some other way to release his hormones. PERIOD!

Got it! Good! Have a great day!

2. Shadesbreath profile image79

Be a man, for yourself.  Chicks like that and will want to do dirty things to you.  It has NOTHING to do with anyone "having to DO something" to earn someone's respect.

The only "suffering" a real man, a confident, kind, compassionate man has to endure, is that of sore muscles and some fingernail damage in rows along his back. 

Chicks offer it up if you are worthy of respect for who you ARE, not who you are proving yourself to be for them or whatever twisted thing you have in your head as how it is supposed to work.  If women aren't trying to get with you, you need to figure out what's wrong with yourself, not what's wrong with them.

6. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Then, you've just proven "god" doesn't exist or isn't perfect as claimed. hmm

1. qwark profile image61

..of course "it" doesn't Cags, but scripture in the bible tells "believers" that "his" killers are rewarded with little girls to do with as they pls.
      ..damned pervert!...:-)

2. profile image0

quark affirmed 'god' exists by engaging a self disputed probability. Thus making his pure and oh so perfect science fallible in himself.

Everyone is fallible. lol

7. insanebutright profile image59
    insanebutrightposted 13 years ago

I believe all sex is rape to a woman. She just likes to 'allow' the rape. I think this is the hidden mystery of women, revealed.
    This is why women have an 'emotional' need for 'respect' before sex... at least that's the actual reason she has that need, anyway.

Garbage. Not worth dignifying any further. Goodbye.

Now you know why God said what he said.

Goodbye.

8. Faybe Bay profile image66
    Faybe Bayposted 13 years ago

Isn't it against policy to have two threads by the same OP on the same subject or am I wrong?

9. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 13 years ago

You are obsessed with all these forums on rape and rapists.
    I have a chill up my spine.
    There will be no further comments from me.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)