RSS Feed

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (33 posts)
  1. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 13 years ago

I copied the url from the top of one of my hubs to put it into another hub - I pasted the url into a RSS capsule - why doe sthis not work?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image56
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hi Irish simply because it doesnt belong to the same RSS, unless you put same tags in your hubs then you can have one RSS feed on them,

you can put it only in a link capsule

2. SiddSingh profile image60
      SiddSinghposted 13 years agoin reply to this

PDH was right - you cannot copy the URL into the RSS capsule. You will have to use a link capsule.

However, you can take the RSS feed from a particular hub, by clicking on the RSS icon on the address bar in your browser. But you will get only comments in the RSS feed that way!

2. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

If you click on the tag that you have included on all the hubs you are trying to link it takes you to the feed for that tag, you then copy that url into the rss capsule and the rss instructor /?rss at the end of the url and that will create your rss

3. theirishobserver. profile image61

So if I put love as a tag on one hub and love as a tag on another hub then it will work smile

ok, you can tag me with love as well, then I go with it, try what Ohma said

4. theirishobserver. profile image61

ohma - just going there to try that smile

5. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

PS Irish. rss feed is not immediate. It takes a while possibly 2 hrs or more for the site to cycle and update feeds.

6. theirishobserver. profile image61

thank you for the information on the delay that does appear to be happening - I will come back if it does not work smile

7. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

should work just fine that is how we get the feed for Hubtrails

8. theirishobserver. profile image61

Thanks Ohma - but I had you to guide me on hubtrails - I am without leadership on this one smile

1. Ohma profile image59
      Ohmaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

what hubs are you trying to link together?
      If you provide hub title and tag I will go get rss link for you.

9. theirishobserver. profile image61

Sidd - thanks - but what started me at this was a Hub I had just read - I think by Paul Edmonson - it suggested putting rss for back link and thats what I am trying to do - I am not technical smile

10. theirishobserver. profile image61

What I was trying to do is link the twelve chapters of my book - each chapter has the tag terrorism and terrorism is the first word in the twelve chapter titles - is this the right way to go smile

Hey Irish, you are doing it right, like what Ohma said sometimes RSS takes a little time, wait after one hour or so

2. Ohma profile image59

I will have a look.

3. SiddSingh profile image60
      SiddSinghposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Make a unique tag, e.g., terrorism-io, for all the hubs.

After you are through with adding the tag to all the hubs that you want, click on the tag on any of the hubs.

You will reach the "tag page" for that tag.

If you are using Firefox, just look for the RSS icon in the address bar. That will give you the FEED url. (OR - add ?RSS after the URL of the tag page).

11. theirishobserver. profile image61

For this you will be rewarded smile

12. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

Irish it seems that the tag terrorism is to broad and the feed for that will not be specific to your hubs because many others are also using it. Might I suggest that you include a tag that is less likely to be used by anyone else for this purpose. Remember though that HP only sees the first 15 tags so to create a feed you will need to be sure the tag is in the 1st fifteen on the list.

13. theirishobserver. profile image61

thank you for that Ohma - I will now go and creat a new tag smile

14. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Irish, it would be easier if you just put one link into a link capsule, leading to the next hub(chapter). No fuss, no muss and simple as 1,2,3. smile

15. theirishobserver. profile image61

Cagsil - thanks for that - what I actually done now is - put the tag -autobiography - on the four chapters of my auto-bio - I have then went to auto-bio tag - copied the url - and now pasted it into an rss capsule in each hub - will that work - at the moment it is saying not a correct rss feed smile Jesuz this is complicated for a No techno smile

16. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

Cags is right. it would be easier to do a link capsule but it is not automatic update like rss and you would have to go back and update each capsule manually every time you added a chapter.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why would you need to go back and update a link capsule?

That makes no sense.

You write one chapter and when chapter two is finished, then you insert the link capsule in chapter one, and so on and so forth until finished.

Never need to change the link in the link capsule, unless you change the title of the hub it is linked to in the first place.

The RSS Feed is completely useless for this particular operation. The feed will update with OTHER PEOPLE WORK including your own.

1. Ohma profile image59

he is looking for a way to link all chapters together but also keep googlebots interested in the older chapters by keeping them updated.

The feed will only have his work in it if he uses a tag that is totally unique to him.

Then add a news article, singular, beyond the comment section and it will automatically update and refresh the page. But, after the comments, so as to not disturb the writing of the chapters or the link that is in the link capsule, as suggested. wink big_smile

1. Ohma profile image59

I have actually just found yhat feature I really like that it automatically finds relevent news. it is cool.

I'm glad you learned something new Ohma. Learning is so much fun when people realize the power it gives them. lol big_smile smile tongue

17. theirishobserver. profile image61

Thanks Ohma - I know what Cags is saying and I may well do that as well - the Hub that got me started on this was saying that the rss keeps older hubs fresh by up dates - I should have said that as well smile

18. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

Have you picked a new tag yet?

19. theirishobserver. profile image61

Folks - you have been more than helpful - I have learned more from all of you in the last few minutes than I have learned in the last 6 months here - thank you again smile

20. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

I like to learn I may be a little slow but once I have it I seldom forget it.

21. theirishobserver. profile image61

well I have used my auto as an experiment as it only has four chapters so far - i have added links and also rss feed (I will give rss time as it is not working yet - I may need to change tag to something excluive as suggested)smile thanks again everyone smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)