Taking back our Country

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (55 posts)
  1. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

Any ideas as Americans on how we should take back our Country? How much money did we borrow from China? Why are we borrowing at all? Outsourcing is horrible especially when it takes from the U.S. Citizens how do we as a country make the bleeding stop? I am really not good with politics however I have so many unanswered questions and I know that somebody out there were be able to enlighten as I am as frustrated as everyone else when I listened to the News.

1. SparklingJewel profile image66
      SparklingJewelposted 15 years agoin reply to this

At my level of understanding, which isn't complete, if there is such a mode, I think one of the most important things we as US citizens can do is buy local foods and buy US goods, use as little credit as possible and get back to the basics of life for ourselves and our families and communities.

Another, is to learn how to better care for ourselves in all ways of health and prevention of illness, and not become dependent upon any kind of systems to survive (pretty hard to do, I admit) but there are things we can learn to do without or can make use of within a more US/local way. check out my wholistic hubs for perspective.

That said...prayer is the strongest action we can take to "get things" back to an order more in accordance with the natural world and the "grand design" of the Universe of God. Pray for the consciousness of all people to desire to get in alignment with that Universal Order (religious people would call it God's Will).

The power of our free will desire and focus of conscious/conscience thought and action therefrom has much more power than people are aware of, and wary of, as to being accountable and responsible for.

Taking back our country  begins with the individual. Understanding our basic life values, morals and standards in a unified manner makes a big difference, too. For instance, we can't have half of the US thinking abortion is acceptable and the other half thinking it is destruction of life becoming.

In basic life issues as that, we need to find the common ground that will benefit everyone...like seeing to it that people and our children have a greater respect for  their power of creation, for themselves and for each other, and to learn to make better decisions for their lives before they take action (having sex) instead of  after the fact (abortion as contraception).

My personal view is that if the human race had the common belief and respect that life begins at conception, all the other problems of the world would be more easily worked through. I mean, after all...what do we have if we don't have life ? If we were all on the same page about that, we would have our country intact, I believe life is the 'glue' of life ! big_smile

1. livelonger profile image86
        livelongerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

We're going to continue to disagree, and agreement is not going to happen. I certainly don't agree with you, and I don't believe that our sole purpose is to create life. There is human liberty that is often at odds with life, and *my opinion* is that that trumps our biological destiny to create life. (I'm sure you do, too, or otherwise you would be pregnant every 9 months until your ovaries ran out of eggs). I don't expect you or anyone else to agree with me, and I can respect your opinion even though I don't share it.

I think one of the strengths of the US is that we don't agree on anything, and changes take a long time to be realized and are fought over fiercely. Countries that agree with each other 80% of the time on everything scare me. That's how you vote in a fascist leader.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Who do you think you are going to take it back from exactly?

The current economic model requires ever-increasing consumption. Your government has just committed every last penny it had plus billions it does not to ensuring the survival of that model.

As best I can ascertain, the US gov has just ponied up this many dollars:

$5,000,000,000,000.00

That is five trillion dollars. All to make sure there are no changes to the system. ANd there will be more to come.

My own government has committed an enormous amount of money it does not have to fixing this "crisis," as have the Russian, Middle Eastern,Asian and European governments.

Plus, this is not a US-only issue. The US economy is closely tied to all the other world economies. Stop buying plastic crap from China would be like declaring war on them.

Praying and persuading everyone that abortion is wrong is not going to change this big_smile

AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this
        1. Mark Knowles profile image59

We keep buying from China, because that allows the "system" to disguise the true cost of the products and allow consumers to keep increasing consumption.

If a manufacturer in the USA/UK/Europe made goods in the way they are made in China, they would be shut down.

Plus, American labor is too expensive. Quite honestly, I think the whole thing will come falling down within the next 18 months or so anyway. An d we will have to build a new model. Or have a good war.

The praying and the persuading comment was aimed at SJ smile

I see big_smile

2. profile image0
        Zarm Nefilinposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The current model would never have even been supportable if it weren't for our CIA and their collaboration with the other intelligence agencies.  Their whole mode of doing things is to wage propaganda wars in other countries so that hard right dictators get installed and people get reduced to slavery or something close to it, so that we can profit where the native people do not.

Prime example are places like Latin America and Africa, and it doesn't seem like it is going to change any time soon.  IF the economy totally meltsdown or if people come to their senses then we can get rid of these idiots and install people whose main mission isn't to commit government acts of laundering, fraud, international propaganda, covertly installing puppet dictators, all for the sake of Imperialist goals which are not good for us or other people.

The funny thing is that we have grown our intelligence agencies and as a result grown our efforts to persuade and influence people that our government isn't really that bad at all and that despite the fact that GW is a war criminal and his administration is guilty of war crimes and won't be caught dead outside of our country for fear of an international court, and the GOP is infested with fascists who are suffering from mass delusion, that we really have things under control after all and that somehow our government is full of many good and well meaning people with noble and altruistic goals....

3. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

We are dealing with a global economy now a days. As such, American labor is in direct competition with foreign labor. Foreign companies are not subject to the laws or the taxes that companies operating in America are exposed to. For example, Ireland reduce it's corporate taxes to 12% where as the USA corporate tax rate is 35%. Corporations, like most of us individuals will do what they can to keep the money they earn. Unfortunately we as citizens of the USA can't just move to a country with a lower tax rate, however corporations can! They can also relocate to escape unions and environmental and other labor regulations. This puts American labor at a distinct disadvantage! We as a country have two options, either we lower taxes and roll back labor and environmental regulations, or we impose trade tariffs on foreign countries wishing to import goods into the USA, leveling the playing field for US corporations. The problem with tariffs is, foreign countries will impose retaliatory tariffs of their own preventing access to their markets. That leaves the only alternative, lower taxes. However this can only be achieved by reducing the size of government with cuts on spending and services.
      This is why I think Obama's plans will ultimately fail in the long run. In the short run he will expand spending creating jobs with infrastructure contracts. To pay for it he will increase corporate taxes, exporting private sector jobs and growing government jobs a recipe for larger deficits, and greater debt.
      Where does the money come from to finance this? It comes from United States Bonds. These are notes that are purchased by foreign countries like China, India, Russia, and Saudi Arabia. They also take the cash contributions we all make to social security, and replace it with bonds. basically an IOU. China holds something like 500 billion in US notes and with the interest that we pay on those notes they are building a world class Navy and space based weapons systems! To keep up with payments on all the debt, it's now 12 trillion dollars, from time to time the USA treasury prints more money. Printing money makes the rest of the dollars circulating worth less and leads to inflation. Since the USA is a net importer, that is we buy more foreign goods then we sell American goods, we will continue to have to borrow to finance our way of life, chiefly through the importation of oil. We consume 25% of the worlds oil production even though we are only 6% of the world's population.
      What we need to do as a nation is change our behaviour. We need to move from a consumer society, to a society that saves. One way to do this is to eliminate the current income tax system, which is basically a tax on productivity, risk and investment, and replace it with a consumption tax system. A national sales tax that everyone would pay based on what they buy. Unfortunately, our government officials from both parties do not like this idea because they use the tax system as leverage to garner campaign contributions from lobbyists by manipulating the tax code to give breaks to their contributors at the expense of others!
      So there you have it! We got a lot of problems don't we?

I honestly did not realize this, as politics are my weakness however I enjoy understanding and learning , I guess I should watch the news more but it is so stressful!!smile

4. profile image49
      r310346posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Since the Chinese are bankrolling the US economy, criminal wars, thieving CEO’s and the rest , you won’t have your country back for long time to come. All the US can do is exporting IOU. The US can’t compete with 1.3 billion Chinese. Let’s hope Oh-Bama brings back some honesty, hard work and most important clean the administration for a better outcome..

I hope so too!! smile

5. profile image0

Meaningfully restore Habeus Corpus.  Completely Repeal the U.S. Patriot Act.  Systematically dismantle the Department of Homeland Security.  Hold trials on U.S. Soil for Guantanomo detainees and close down Gitmo.  Stop warrant less wiretapping.  Shutdown conservative talk radio under the pretext of traitorous speech that constitutes a foreign and extremist threat to the Constitution of the United States of America.  Sign court ordered warrants for the arrest and execution of anyone who believes Muslims are our Enemy who are in Government seats of power.  Overturn the unconstitutional "revisions" of the Constitutions that promote the dogma that marriage is between a Man and a Woman.  Arrest and execute Rupert Murdoch for crimes against the US Constitution.  Dismantle Fox News Network.  Hold Bush and his entire administration on trial for the controlled demolitions aspect of the World Trade Center and see who is guilty, hold anyone in public who says it is merely a "conspiracy theory" to claim that controlled demolitions were somehow involved during 9/11 in contempt of the U.S. Constitution and have them executed promptly and ruthlessly.  Withdraw FBI agents from overseas positions and return them to their pre-9/11 status.  Dismantle the CIA under the known pretext that it is an organization whose sole aim is to commit illegal acts overseas for their interpretation of "the interests of the United States".  Replace the CIA with an organization whose mission is sensitive to the needs of people in foreign countries and does not try to influence the installation of puppet regimes by any means.  Dismantle the Global War on Terror and change the focus to a War on International Terrorism that is conducted with highly trained police units and not the military.  Enforce the teaching in US public schools that after 9/11 "Everything did not change", hold any teacher that teaches otherwise in contempt of the US Constitution and have them arrested and placed in a US Prison.  Find out who or what entities were responsible for the controlled demolitions aspect of 9/11 and if they are in our country have them arrested and publicly executed in a very cruel and ruthless fashion.  Have this execution televised and let it be stated that this is what happens to traitors to the US Constitution.

That is what "we" could do to take back our country, but I doubt it will happen.  The religious right Jacobins opened a can of worms that probably won't be closed if Obama and his administration doesn't close it themselves somehow.  If I were Obama I would take Lincoln's mindset and let people write about me in history later on after I got done cleaning house in a manner similar to or exactly like the one I just described.

Now that's a list. big_smile

I like it !!!smile

2. profile image0

That's not what I would like people to think that I "think" that it was I really think.

2. Ben Bush profile image60
        Ben Bushposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Zarm,

The only problem with your using Lincoln as an example is that Lincoln completely did away with Habeas Corpus........among other things.

BTW, Habeas Corpus on the State and local level is intact. I know because I have successfully had Habeas Petitions heard since 9-11. (I understand that your reference is to Habeas Corpus on the Federal level.)

1. profile image0

I am well aware that Lincoln did away with Habeus Corpus for certain segments of the population. 

I don't see how habeus corpus can be intact for much longer on a county or state level considering this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violent_Ra … ct_of_2007

As far as it being intact on a federal level, I think that our Supreme Court is something of a joke quite honestly.  The only decisions that have been made by our Supreme Court that have been allowed to have any weight are the decisions that the Bush Administration has allowed to have any weight.

Obama has a lot of work cut out for him.  I don't trust a lot of democrats and I think totalitarianism comes in stages, I would say that we are 7/9 of the way there already.  Sure, we might have these laws on the books, but the current Administration has violated every law on the book it desired to with absolute impunity and a congress that groveled before the dictatorial regime of the Bush administration every step of the way sat there and did nothing.  The same Congress allowed impeachment motions to be killed off on the floor of the Senate.  To make matters even worse, Obama has indicated that he wants the nation to "move on" and does not intend to allow charges to be brought against George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, or any other members of the Bush Regime who dictatorially ruled our country for eight years.

Will Obama change this?  I don't know.  Maybe, and maybe not.  Lincoln changed things during his time, and hopefully Obama has the spine that Lincoln had to get things done.
          What I do know is that terrorism is fast becoming opposition to the state, even if you don't target innocent civilians or even kill anyone at all.  Read the wording in that bill I just posted a link to, and tell me I am wrong.  How can I be?  It is all so vague, and allows anyone with real power to impose arbitrary definitions in the legal context it provides.

2. kerryg profile image84
    kerrygposted 15 years ago

Part of the reason I support large-scale development of renewable energy resources in the US is because they create jobs that literally cannot be outsourced. You can't make the wind blow somewhere else. Many of the jobs would also require higher levels of education and technical expertise than your average illegal immigrant is going to possess.

http://apolloalliance.org/

I also support a revamping of the agricultural sector that supports a return to diversified small family farms of the sort that existed across America even just 50 years ago, but I think that's less likely to happen.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/12/magaz … ref=slogin

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Who is taking it back? Everyone has her/his own idea on what your country should look like big_smile

4. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

Poppa Blues: Good summation. And in the whole confusing mess, think one might keep in mind the US is the market of the world. The US stops buying, the whole world goes into recession. Everybody needs the american market for whatever that means.

knoly, I do agree that the world needs us, as that I know is absolute fact!!big_smile

5. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image60
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 15 years ago

AEvans says: Outsourcing is horrible... 
    AEvans, Outsourcing started when local labour charges proved costly. After a long time, if you say it is horrible, how much horrible it will be  to those foreigners who have faith in it and chose a career in it?  Will Americans works for those paltry payments... Because your currency is costlier, our countrymen tend to get into outsourcing... The reason for outsourcing is inequality in money values, which your county determines.
    Please get into the real issues. Your financial companies lent huge sums for housing.. huge enough that it could not be repaid by the receipients. Housing will not yield instant money.. then how can the loan be repaid?  Your banks, their auditors, govt. officials who failed to control the banks are all to be blamed for the current situation..  Dont go in search of ants..  look at the elephants.

Venugopal, If you read the first request I had , I also said that I am not really good with the political side. Outsourcing effects everyone not just americans, but it also inhumane to send it out and treat others like second class citizens and have them work in bad conditions. Yes our lenders and financial companies did do heartless things, and I am certain you as well as many of us realize it was corporate greed, that sent them over the edge and in the end it bit many in there bottoms. I have looked at the elephants and just as yourself many who have commented have made me realize so much from there point of view. I thank you as well for responding and also giving me valuable insight.smile

6. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image60

Mr.Zarm Nelfilin has referred to George Bush (GW) as a war criminal. Which war? War for hunting terrorists?  Imagine the twin towers are your property!!!  How will you react when it is destroyed alongwith 4000 inmates ?  What wrong in going allout in search of those criminals?
    Those who have never built a monument in their countries equal to the twin towers have no moral right to attack the them, attack their security headquarters, etc.  Any country after a war, will certainly be bleeding... like America.  It will soon jump to its original position and be a nightmare for the terrorists..  Dont think America is dying... because it is a democracy. Its people will rise up and make America and the free world proud once again.  Americans.. rise up !  Prove that democracy and free world are invincible.... Destroy the evil...

1. profile image49
      r310346posted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, criminals should be hunted down. Talking about criminals , you must hunt down GB too, he started this war with Iraq whilst it dint have nothing, read slowly … nothing to do with 9/11. GB sank the US to what is now, full of debt, unemployment and a grim future for long time to come. Unfortunately, your political system is so corrupt that is very little you can do about besides paying your taxes. By the way, you can fight terror with terror you just get more terror..!

1. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image60
        VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think America is a democracy. If a president is hunted down after each war, what is it? Iraq's Saddam Hussain has fired several missiles into Israel, during 1991 war, when Israel did nothing to provoke Iraq.  Saving Israel may be the priority for America. So, as long as Iraq remained under Saddam Hussain, Israel was in danger of its very existence.  So, he may have invaded Iraq.  Americans should have shown their anger against their president at that time. Not after his term ends.

1. profile image0

Should have?

LOL

Try this:

We were manipulated systematically by George Bush after September 11th and Iraq was a freeride on our goodwill?  How does that sound?

2. AEvans profile image70

We have been showing anger before his term ended andwe have just became stronger as his term is ending. smile

I lost several friends in the twin towers on 09/11 and I thank you for speaking for the U.S. we are all trying to stand up and not let anyone take us down!! We are proud and we are free!!! Bush should have gone directly after Bin Laden, instead he evaded and went after Saddam as he wanted to complete what his fahter did not. It still hurts my heart to this day that I lost my friends and I have yet to go back to New York and look as it still makes me angry and the pictures of the planes are still etched in my mind. sad

Madam, you are saying all these from America. You will find here in west Asia that Osama bin laden is not alone. He is an evasive ghost and all the muslim countries have a soft corner for him. Because his goal is to establish shariat laws in the world. 
        Place yourself in the place of George Bush. Will you leave a fat man looking innocent standing silently behind a terrorist.. ready to protect him? At that time, Saddam's Iraq was a threat to America.  Dont think a man of G.Bush's stature will act on whims and fancies.  He may have taken the task of his father.. but it was necessary. Iraq invaded Kuwait, annexed it. If it was left unnoticed, Iraq would have pounced on Iran and won... rest would have continued.

1. profile image0
          sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I had this bizzar dream the other night that Obama was Osama.  So strange; woke up feeling a little plexed.  Would make sense though as to why Osama cannot be found when we can find a grian of dirt on a distant planet but not this guy. lol. 

um..not sure if I should be laughing, umm..yeah I might take it back. I dont think it is funny.

1. Make  Money profile image65
            Make Moneyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Venugopal it seems like you are mixing the first Gulf War in Iraq by father Bush with the second War on Iraq by the son Bush.  There was no reason for the second.  You are not trying to drum up America to make war against Pakistan, India's enemy are you?

India does not need American help to control Pakistan, not can it control Pakistan. We treat Pakistan as our own country; any harm to it is unbearable to us. If differences come, India is capable of settling it. Dont imagine too much of America.
              After retirement, Mr.Bush (son) will narrate everything... why he invaded Iraq .. Whoever is against terrorism, he should be commended.  Had Mr.Bush acted without reason in Iraq?

1. Make  Money profile image65
                Make Moneyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes

Sandra, You are so silly I admire your breaking the ice sense of humor. smile I asked a question and the answers keep coming , I certainly am learning a multitiude of information and I am appreciating everyone's thoughts and opinions. smile

You are adorbale and I apreciate the response I however believe that Bush made an irrational decision and a majority was over oil. I don't know if Saddam's Iraq was as much a threat as Osama Bin Laden, but I guess we had to jump in and show our power.smile

AEvans, invasion of another country is not for spending from your pocket.  Only to drain that country's resources and make your country richer.  This has happened throughout history.  But everytime you Americans say "Bush invaded Iraq for oil",  I feel delicate. His own countrymen ditching him.  His plans should have been noble for the American nation.  But it backfired.  Outsiders may criticise him. But not Americans. I expect someone to continue Bush mission.  But "taking one country at a time" will only succeeded.  That was where Hitler and Napolean erred and led to their defeat.

You have such a kind heart, but it is so hard for me to respect him for what has happened. Many of us have not ditched our President we just believe there wasn't any justification for what he has done. Iraq now needs to fight the war amongst themselves as our men and women need to come home and protect our ground here. It is not our countries job to take care of everyone, we assist but we also have responsibilities back at home. Americans are loosing their homes, their jobs, their lives and we keep giving, if we keep doing this we will not have a country as we also have to take care of ourselves first.
              Hitler needed to be defeated as he was a horrible human being who murdered millions, he had to be destroyed and our country helped bring peace, but we had to leave and let them stand on their own and they did. Napolean was a tyrant and he was defeated as he spewed and did horrible and inhumane things as well. Our Country has to pull out and let Iraq stand on their own two feet, or they will not be able to make it on their own.smile

7. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image60

AEvans,  working in a place consists workers, helpers, and masters... anywhere.  It is not inhuman to get work from others. The workers should try to develop their conditions with their earnings. It is not the responsibility of employers to create human conditions.  Workers are also humans and capable of developing their conditions.

8. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image60

Mr.Zarm,    George Bush systematically manipulated things?  for what personal gain for him?  It is the duty of a ruler to ensure the safety of his citizens and his country's interests.  He has failed on the economic front. For that, everything can be said now. At this time, he needs sympathy.  No one expected these things.  Accusing one man is not the remedy.  Also accuse other contributors for the crisis.  Big business evaded tax.   Housing loan receipients failed to repay the loan.  Huge housing loans were offered without checking credibility.  There may be many other things.  His only fault may be "think twice before you act" before going to war.

9. William F. Torpey profile image71
    William F. Torpeyposted 15 years ago

The election of Obama was a giant step toward the achievement of this hub's urgent call: Taking Back Our Country.

The misdirection of the resources of the USA, which includes the current ecomonic crisis and the wayward trek into Iraq, has been going on for decades. It was jump-started, however, by President Reagan who, in my opinion, put the right wing Republicans on track to reverse the social and economic advances that began with the election of President Franklin Roosevelt. Right wingers hate Roosevelt and everything he achieved.

I believe Reagan set forth to put this nation in catastrophic debt designed to enable Republicans to destroy the labor unions as well as, primarily, the Social Security and Medicare programs. The idea was to give right wingers the cover of huge debt, which was intended to make it possible to "cry poor" when demanding the dismantling of Roosevelt's social programs. Dubya didn't create this theory (he's not that smart), but he carried it forward (under the direction of Dick Cheney and others.)

The 2006 election, in my view, saved this country from martial law and the creation of something equivalent to "president for life."

Obama's election makes it possible for the USA to return to sane international policies and, we hope, domestic tranquility.

It wasn't corporate greed that caused our present financial crisis, although that certainly exists, but, rather, a right wing political move toward fascism and international agression.

John F. Kennedy, by the way, said during his campaign for the presidency, "God helps those who help themselves."

Dubya claims he relied on God for his guidance -- and look what's happened.

10. longdrv4u profile image39
    longdrv4uposted 15 years ago

You Blame Ronald Reagan and all republicans for the problems in the US. Well we have  Obama as  president and a majority of democrats in the house and senate.

Do you think they have a clue about how to get the economy going again. ?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure they have ideas... They certainly can't do any worse...

11. William F. Torpey profile image71
    William F. Torpeyposted 15 years ago

Obama won't be president until Jan. 20.

12. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image60

AEvans, we, outsiders think your soldiers are coming out of their country after settling their problems. Who will ask you to come and help, if you yourself is in troble?
    West Asia is a very volatile region, where you cant expect the normal. They will destroy themselves, if left alone, leaving a trail of bloodshed and unattended dead bodies.  Only when a third party intervenes, they will show their solidarity.
    I did not mean the justification for Hitler's and Napolean's defeat.  I meant that both faced the combined might of their enemies;  Hitler started war in the east while the war continued in the west.  Napolean was surrounded by more than one enemy and he lost.  George Bush invaded Iraq while the Afgan war was at its peak.

Venu, This saddens me as so many countries depend on us tell help them and we can only do so much. Where were the other countries when Katrina came? Nobody poured in millions of dollars to help our people. But when the Tsunami came we were the first to rush to their aid. Where are the countries now when so many americans are going hungry,without jobs, and no place to live? But we are the same country that runs to help others , before we help our own. You see the news paints a different picture so everyone gets a different perception. We are losing thousands of soldiers, who stops the pain for their families? I have to agree with the Iraqi government as they need to fight there own war as it has been going on for thousands of years, we cannot continue to fight the war for them. We have to fight our war as our country is suffering because we keep on giving. Many countries think we are an endless bank account and so long as the taxpayers , pay their taxes instead of helping our own people they give it away. This is not a wonderful thing, but a hurtful thing , I would rather help  our own people first then worry about other countries second. Bush did this over oil and he should have been more concerned about Bin Laden as many nations lost lives on 09/11 but he was busy reading to children and not listening to the calls coming into him, while the planes went barreling through our TWIN TOWERS , This is why so many AMERICANS are angry as our country forgets about their own . Many people think every American is wealthy, many of our americans are not , they are poor and middle class people trying to get by and they cannot afford to pour out their paychecks for others. Our soldiers get paid peanuts to lose their lives, on a war that was not ours, is that fair? Yes we are strong as a nation, we are proud and we are free, but other countries have been under their own rulings for so long , they do not have any idea what freedom is. I realize you love our country and admire what we do, but come to see this side of the world and see it for face value, as you would be an upset American too. smile

13. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image60

Khatrina came to your country, which is far away for any nation to come with aid. Crossing the Atlantic and Pacific are not easy.  So no one could come.  But your nation for decades have your navy sailing on the seas. So they had the opportunity to aid tsunami victims.  But Indians have not taken aid from any one. Our Prime Minister refused it when Bush came to help. Your TV channels described us as "a proud country declines aid from US."
    Many of our friends and relatives are living in USA and we have some idea about what is going on there. Poverty is not a permanent thing.  Money comes today and goes tomorrow. But our resolve to prove that our commitment to national pride should not go down.

Venu, I am not saying your country I have friends from India , I am saying that although we are far away, wire transfers to our country would have been good, or putting food on vessels that were ready to set sail would have been nice. Your Prime Minister is a wise man, as he saw the suffering in the U.S. and probably thinks our President was nuts. Poverty is permanent for many of our U.S. Citizens as jobs go away and are outsourced unfortunately ,their are many here just like in India who have been working there butts off and have lost. I have not lost my pride as an American , many of us are upset as we should be helping our fellow americans first. India is wealthy because their priorties are in order and they take care of their country first and foremost and the rest of the world is secondary, this is what our country should be doing as well. smile

14. knolyourself profile image61

Actually Cuba and Venezuela offered and tried to give Katrina aid, but it was refused by the Bush administration. 'We don't accept aid from no stinking commies.' How embarrassing.

Do they still call 'em stinkin commies?

15. knolyourself profile image61

"'Do they still call 'em stinkin commies?'"
    They do. Tis the idiot mentality that has made the whole mess that is America today, coming a lot out of especially Texas.

16. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image60

America's problems cannot be solved easily. The present world economy is market oriented.  For markets, it needs more people, more population and more purchasing power. How can America increase its population overnight. It will require centuries to compete India in population.  For the present, American Govt. may approach the Indian and Chinese governments for jobs to its citizens.  All American companies which have migrated to other countries should be persuaded to create their branches in America. Then the currency value should be brought down reasonably. Just for pride, you Americans keep the exchange rates unequally.  If you make one dollar is equal to one rupee, no Indian will continue in America. And Americans will have no burden of accusing their government on outsourcing.

17. knolyourself profile image61

"Now that's a list."
    Second that.

18. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

If only that could happen, I wouldbe thrilled smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)