Independent Music

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Internetwriter62 profile image77
    Internetwriter62posted 13 years ago

Do any of you like Independent Music? Does anyone download songs that are from artists that promote their work on the internet and do gigs at local venues. I personally think it's a great alternative to the mainstream media. Less commercial and more creative. What do you think?

1. TheRepublicofLife profile image60
      TheRepublicofLifeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree.  I would say indie music is my first preference.  In fact, I'm an indie musician myself.  Who are your favorites?  Right now I'm really into a band called Cloud Cult.

Internetwriter62posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I really like some of the artists from sites like Garageband.com and MySpace. I like classic rock, some eighties. I really like Brian Mason and Sol.

2. Walkster profile image61
        Walksterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am bias because i am an independant producer and work with independant artists but you definately get alot more variety. Mainstream music is bought and paid for by promoters and radio plays  the same 20 to 30 artists over and over. I am not saying some of them aren't good, but what i am saying is i have been doing this 25 years and i have run across alot of talent that frankly would blow alot of mainstream artists off the map but they lacked funding or weren't in the right political circles. Anyway the mainpoint is surf the net and check out some of these independants and you will be glad you did!

Thanks for stopping by Walkster. I do agree with you, there are some independent artists that would blow some of the commercial artists of the map. I have at times tuned to the radio in the past only to get bored or frustrated. If the song is a hit they play it to death, and you get bored and if it isn't very good, you are stuck having to listen to it. On the other hand, with independent music you have far more choices. I'm glad you are a producer, who is trying to make a difference in the music industry. It seems most people in the industry only want to follow only the path of money, while creativity takes a back seat and I think that is sad. I know that in time independent music will be where the next Beatles will come from.  Since you are an expert on independent music it would be great if you wrote a hub about it, I would enjoy reading it.

3. profile image0
        Educator4Lifeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Independent artists are refreshingly creative.  They aren't as "chained" to popular demands and it is reflective throughout their art! smile

I agree. I think part of creativity is having freedom from popular demands. Having to serve the demands of records companies often stifles creativity. On the the other hand, I guess most artists like for their art to be lucrative, I just wish creativity wasn't the sacrifice.

2. EpicNoob profile image41
      EpicNoobposted 13 years ago

Reppin' the local scene is great. It feels more beneficial to be helping them out with their merch and ticket sales too, as opposed to artists that sell out arenas. The smaller venues they play are always great for meeting the band/artist too after the show. Ideal for stalking... wink

I agree. When you support local artists, you support creativity. The more commercial music started out with local artists, that were very talented. I think it is important to support independent music. There are a couple of bands I heard lately and wow they really are amazing.

1. EpicNoob profile image41
          EpicNoobposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, exactly. I love cutting edge music - stuff that hasn't been done before. I know there are a boatload of wannabe independant bands out there, but amidst that pile there's some absolute gold. When I find a new-on-the-scene artist that blows me away I buy their CD faster than you can say "this is awesome!"...

I download songs from Garageband.com. I wish I could afford CDs, been broke lately. I review music for Garageband.com so they let me download whatever I want, without any fees. The bands are amazing, they have music in every genre and the music is there to listen to. If you love independent music this is your paradise. Another way to support your favorite independent artist is to write a hub about that band.

1. jj200 profile image66
              jj200posted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's a great idea about making a hub about a new/local band that you saw and like. Also, if they  become popular, you will likely be getting more hits to your hub and getting some personal rewards from it.

I definitely think it's a good thing to support and promote these artists. I love the local music scene, as a musician myself. I find it inspiring and refreshing.

Thanks for posting this, my response got so big, I had to cut it out and just make a hub about it.

Thank you JJ200, I support independent music because it is worth supporting. There are very talented people who deserve to be heard. If you go to independent music sites it is amazing how many talented people are yet to be discovered. I know that as a musician you know that the internet offer new ways of being discovered. Just wondering do you have any songs uploaded on the net.

I'm glad you got a big response and I hope your hub does very well. Who knows maybe this is the start of something big. It's just a matter of letting the public know they have choices.

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

a friend of mine is always scouting out music from independent artists and makes sure he sends some of what he finds my way.  as well really obscure music from favorities.  I don't even have to look - it just comes to me via email.  Most of what he sends, is pretty good!

I bet you have had a chance to listen to some very awesome music. There this one song I heard recently and I really love playing it over and over.

4. vanchen profile image69
      vanchenposted 13 years ago

Fully agree with all the posts on here.  Indie music truly has more  freedom in the messages they can convey, something that can lack in  the mainstream market.  For me indie music is great hot tub music - it can really get you to reflect and be thoughtful about the world.

Hi Vanchen,
        Thanks for coming to the forum. I think writing a hub on independent music is a great way to show your support, if you like you may want to feature a few of your favorite artists on that hub, you know artists need support and that is a great way to show your support.

5. jj200 profile image66
      jj200posted 13 years ago

I do know about the powers of the internet, but I really just started learning about the outlets for music. I'm afraid I'm not much of a computer person. Even joining this website was a push for me. For seven years, starting my freshman year in college, I worked at my school booking entertainment (not just music), so I learned a ton first-hand during that time. From there it just snowballed into befriending musicians and venue personnel just by being around them and sharing our mutual love for music.

As I said, I'm still feeling my way around the internet, so I haven't posted my music or anything online. Also, I recently moved to a different state, and I have not met band mates here yet, so much of what I've written I don't have recordings for. I'll have to check out Garageband. There are a billion outlets for artists to get their music out there, so it's a bit overwhelming spending time going through all the sites and figuring out if they're into what you're into.

The hub needs to be edited, I wrote it last night and still haven't slept, so I will need a clear mind to read it over first before I embarrass myself by putting up something written by a zombie.

Get your needed rest JJ there is noting like a clear head to help one think straight. As soon as you can get a band and even a song, do try Garageband.com. They are a great way to present your music and if you have enough good reviews they give you the opportunity to get a contract.

I understand, you do need to get settled first and get used to the internet. I admit it can be overwhelming. As a writer I find getting traffic a bear, I totally understand where you are coming from. I wish you success and that you get your zzz. Take care.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)