Option to hide or disable HubKarma

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Cyber Lawyer profile image60
    Cyber Lawyerposted 13 years ago

Please design some way to help free us from this unwelcome distraction.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

it's just a number.
      as far as getting us to behave differently?
      it is simply a tool that can be used. no one is forcing you to behave differently.

I wouldn't let it bother you so much.

2. Arthur Fontes profile image75
    Arthur Fontesposted 13 years ago

I would suggest not checking your profile page very often.  That might help  smile

3. Cyber Lawyer profile image60

Need to follow Hubtivity, it appears there as well!

4. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 13 years ago

From what I understand, only you can see your HubKarma.  So if you can stand seeing HubScores, you can stand this too.

Cyber Lawyerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I disagree. HubScore is opaque, HubKarma is a deliberate attempt to make us change our behavior.

1. waynet profile image68
        waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It won't change my behaviour, I'll still be me, ginger and all!

Don't worry, you are charismatic.

1. waynet profile image68
            waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah good I like curry!

2. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Paranoid much? roll

Paranoid is a strong word. Unless it was an attempt to make us behave differently, why introduce HubKarma to begin with?

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
            Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Of course it's an attempt to get us to behave differently.  In case you've forgotten, this isn't your site.  It belongs to the HubPages team, who run it to make money.  They're allowed, you know.

In case you have overlooked it, I wrote "Please..." It is a request.

1. thisisoli profile image69
                thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Choosing to partake in HubKarma is optional, it doesnt have a huge influence on anything other than a minor adjustment to Hubscore, which doesn't matter if you are just here to make money.

3. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If my HubKarma can be the number it is right now (less than 50) and I can still get a 100 author score, that tells me there's nothing wrong with what I've been doing.

4. Arjuncool profile image63
        Arjuncoolposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It measures the amount of interaction we do in the hubpages

Congratulations on your first forum post, then. Nice avatar!

5. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Well, you can just ignore it

Thank you for telling me what I can just do.

6. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

It's only a measure of how you link out to others, these are meant to be hubs; a page you go to for information with pointers as to where you can get more... Your hubs are meant to point out at other websites and hubs relevant to your subject... Remember that the more hubs that have links to you the better your ratings and position in the search engines also... Not a bad thing...

7. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 13 years ago

Then why my account 'truster' who has only 5 low quality hubs , and never comes in the forum, has a hubkarma of 33, and me, with more than 90 hubs , have only 15?
    I really don't get it. Not that I care, but I wonder.

8. myownworld profile image73
    myownworldposted 13 years ago

My head is spinning now with all this karma floating around.....
    I'm telling you it's a tricky thing.. this karma - an over doze is bad for your health! wink

9. Cyber Lawyer profile image60

So the more interactivity, the better? More features, more numbers (accolades etc.) - it is all for the better? The accolades, at least, can be hidden completely from view.

10. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

What is a "good" Karma?? I have 51?? But I interlink all of my hubs as they are only across 2 subjects. The interlinking I hope allows readers to jump from one to next to get more information.

Google wants to see relevant information that is good for the reader, so having a page that points to other sources of information relevant to your page would using a bit of common sense make google happy.. Also if you have a page that is pointed at by other pages then google is going to think that your page is important. If you want your site to rank highly and attract readers from google then you need to follow google rules.. and google will look at the whole site not just your page on the domain, hence the need for everyone to do it for the benefit of the whole community..

But I might be wrong I'm new to this... lol

I think you are changing the subject. You like it and want to work with that, I have understood as much and good for you. I don't like this additional interactivity it and don't want to look at it; that is what this thread supposedly is about.

1. LeanMan profile image79
        LeanManposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Fine, no problem, just trying to understand it and get other peoples opinions too... I have no problem with it, it is just another number that only I can see.. The suggest links is very handy as it more often than not suggests my own pages for links so it makes it easy for me to interlink my hubs..

The reason that I like it is that it is trying to drive behavior that google will like, this will ensure that this site remains in google's good books and benefit everyone on the site.. Links out from your hub to elsewhere will not hurt you but it may make readers experience more pleasant, they don't have to go hunting for more information that catches their eye they just click the link.. Don't forget that if everyone does this then you will get links from other authors on the site.

I have already linked to other hubs from a couple of mine, I have generally chosen the ones that in my mind add value, and I will admit that I have not linked to hubs that I consider to be direct competitors.

11. Cyber Lawyer profile image60
  12. profile image0
    Non-offensiveUserposted 13 years ago

I'm proud to tell the world that my HubKarma score is "1"!!!!
    I really don't care what end of the scale that's on, because to be honest it makes absolutely no difference to me.

1. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Same here ! lol

1. profile image0
        Non-offensiveUserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Tantrum, it's been awhile,  what's going on?

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Obviously you're someone's sock puppet account with no Hubs, so who cares?

13. Shil1978 profile image86
    Shil1978posted 13 years ago

Mine is stuck at 39, just refuses to budge no matter what I do smile

1. profile image0

Then I suggest that you do to yours, what I have done to mine.  Just laugh in the face of your HubKarma, for it is yet another meaningless way the team has found to try to measure us.....

1. Shil1978 profile image86
        Shil1978posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lol - well, I would rarely visit my profile page, but now I find myself checking it out more often - just to see how this works?

I am pretty sure this is something in the works - because, I was pretty active yesterday, linked to hubs of other hubbers, etc., but the score just stayed put.

I am not sure either whether more is better or less is better smile

1. profile image0

Either way, I am more than happy with having a score of 1.  A 0 would be fine too.  Hell, I wouldn't care if I was banned from the whole karma thing all together.  There are just so many more important things in my life than another number trying to measure something.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
            psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You have no hubs so why *would* you care?  You aren't really arguing from a logical position.

14. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I can't say it distracts me.  It's there.  It's fine.  People can use the feature or not.  People can worry about the number or not.  It's all fine.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)