What's the going rate for writing articles?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Lily Rose profile image85
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

I've never written for anyone other than myself, but I've been contacted and asked to write some articles on different (online) platforms on a general topic that is of some interest to me.  I have no idea if it would be worth my while and no idea how much to ask for. 

Anyone here have any ideas??  Any tips, hints, or words of caution?

1. Sufidreamer profile image78
      Sufidreamerposted 13 years ago

Hi Lily,

We had a little bit of a discussion on this thread a few hours back:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/44192

Hope it helps! smile

2. Lily Rose profile image85

Sorry - guess I didn't dig deep enough - thanks for the link, Sufi ...going to check it out now!

Okay, checked it out but it really didn't give me any answers...

I just need to know what I should be asking for - at least ballpark??  Charge by the word, by the article, by the hour??

1. NathanSyckel profile image60
        NathanSyckelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

500 word decent quality articles should cost between 8 and 10 dollars. Some people are cheap though and will only pay 5. I go for 10 though.

To add to that. Another price I see frequently is 2.3 or 2.5 cents per word.

2. Sufidreamer profile image78
          Sufidreamerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nathan - I read your articles and they are very interesting and very well written.

You are horribly underselling yourself by pitching at that price smile

Thanks! I appreciate the comments. Just to clarify I don't write for other people. The prices I gave were what I pay for articles of a decent quality. I usually end up editing them because I'm a perfectionist. But I can usually get a really decent 500 word article for 10 or 11 bucks.

1. Sufidreamer profile image78

hehe - my mistake. It was the small hours of the morning!

2. SaiKit profile image67
              SaiKitposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Nat, thanks for the tips

Where do you find quality writers?

Did you ever find another hubber to write or broadcast a writing job to mass hubbers?

Thanks
              Sai Kit

3. profile image50
          flipjorkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. FatFreddysCat profile image93
            FatFreddysCatposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. ChristinS profile image41
              ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

4. Sufidreamer profile image78

For article writing, I tend to quote for 500 word articles.

The hourly idea is more about working out how much you need to make, per hour, to justify your time, in taxes, health insurance, electricity, internet etc. I don't know what the cost of living is in the US, so I can't be much help on that score.

Too many writers undervalue their work - don't drop below $25 for a general, low research article. if your work is of a high standard, people will pay that.

As a writer, you are a professional - your time is valuable, and worth much more than $7 per hour smile

2. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 13 years ago

Let's see. I can easily hire a Philippino with bachelor's degree in English for about $200 per month. Let's say for a sake of simplicity it is 20 working days, and she can write 2 articles per working day (which is a very conservative estimate). This comes to $5 per article I believe, at best - or worst, depends on what side you are looking at it. And yes, Philippinos write in good American English. smile

1. Aya Katz profile image84
          Aya Katzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What's the cost of living in the Philippines?

2. SaiKit profile image67
          SaiKitposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The last time I checked. A credible outsource site I looked at with all level of Philippinos merchants --- all have some kind of funny English in their own ads.

How do you find the kind of Philippinos writers you just mentioned?

Thanks

3. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 13 years ago

$200 is a good lower middle class salary smile

1. Aya Katz profile image84
          Aya Katzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But not in the US. Which may mean that the going rate should be different in different countries. Or even in different regions in the same country.;->

2. andromida profile image55
          andromidaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I guess this is the secret of your success smile

1. Misha profile image63
            Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nah, I just discovered the place myself. But I bet it is the key to my future success smile

4. Lily Rose profile image85

hmmm...definitely some interesting food for thought!  I'm waiting to hear back from this person with more details an what type of articles she's looking for.  Perhaps I'll see what she's offering first...

Thanks for all the helpful comments, guys!

5. Bill Manning profile image69
        Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I use to write blog post, thousands of them. I also did 500 word articles. I now pay someone else to write my post. It really depends on what type of article or post you need.

But I pay my writer 3 bucks per 150 word post. She can bang out around 10 of them an hour cause they are simple post. If they required research then I would pay more.

$3.00 to $4.00 bucks for a simple 150 to 200 word article is about right. 500 word article, around 9 to 10 bucks. But I've seen some charge 20 bucks for a 500 word article. It all comes down to how much the person wants to pay.

6. Lily Rose profile image85

Forgot to ask this all-important question regarding getting paid - do you get paid before or after you write the article??

1. Misha profile image63
          Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I usually pay after - but if I know the person I can pay at least part in advance. I prefer not to pay the total sum in advance, because it sort of disincentivises most people smile

7. thisisoli profile image69
        thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Charge as much as the market will bear.

The problem is that now you are competing with English speaking American college students who seem to be able to charge $0.30 per hundred words.

I personally don't like to drop below the $2 per hundred word mark, and can often charge a lot more. Times are getting tougher though, I hope the recession lifts a little soon!

8. Lily Rose profile image85

Thank you, Misha!  I just might give this a go...

9. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Sorry to butt in. I sometimes write for a filipino lady who likes my writing style, but the pay is woeful.
        I didn't actually know until I read it here the cost of living in the Phillipines - I assumed it to be on a par with Europe or the Americas. So what seems like a lot to them is pitiful to us.
        Yet some of them can write just as well as natural English speakers. What chance of getting work in the world circuit really then, when workers in lower paid countries can write just as well.

Oh and I always got paid after the articles were completed to satisfaction, though I have heard of some horror stories out there from less scrupulous operators.

10. Lily Rose profile image85

Thanks for butting in, Izzy!  I guess I can consider myself lucky that someone contacted me to write for them?  This is totally new for me.  I usually write when something inspires me; I'm not used to writing on demand, but the overall subject matter is of interest to me so I'm hoping I'll be able to do it because I could really use the extra $...

...wish me luck!

11. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 13 years ago

If they contacted you, you don't need luck you have an already proven skill! AND you can aks the price the others suggested here as the going rate.
        You go girl!

12. Money Glitch profile image61
        Money Glitchposted 13 years ago

Interesting posting with lots of great info. And I agree with IzzyM! Lady luck is already on your side, Lily Rose, so congratulation.  Be sure to let us know how it works out for you! smile

13. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 13 years ago

You guys are selling yourselves WAY too cheap! Sure, I've written a few short articles for $10 each, but I've also sold lots for $80, $100, and $200 each. I sold 2 last week for $160. The most I was ever paid for an article was $375, but it was a looong piece.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
        Necessary
        HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
        LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
        Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
        AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
        Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
        CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
        Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
        Features
        Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
        Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
        Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
        Marketing
        Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
        Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
        Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
        Statistics
        Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
        ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
        ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)