Doing things in the right order...

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Instgtr profile image61
    Instgtrposted 13 years ago

I've been a "hubber" for a week now and am really enjoying what I'm doing.  The people in this forum have been very helpful and I appreciate your help.

So far, I've written 6 hubs (and am working on number 7) and have held off trying to "promote" them (I'm thinking it would be better to have at least 10 hubs ready before trying to get people coming to see them)

Now I'm wondering if waiting until I have that many is the best way to go.  Will the ones I've done "die out" if I don't start working on promoting them for another week or so? 

Some of the other sites I've worked for tend to do that, if your posts don't "take off" within the first 24 hours, they seem to die...

Thanks for any suggestions or comments on this.

Also, if anyone has a few minutes to critique one or two of my hubs, Id appreciate any suggestions on how to make them better and/or more sellable.

Thanks!

Dennis

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

As for promotion, the options to do so here on HubPages are limited. You can post links in the Extreme Hub Makeover forum and - should you decide to go that route - the 30 Days Challenge. You cannot post self-promotional links on the forum generally.

No, there is no rush. What you will want is to give the search engines time to properly index your hubs, which appear to be of enduring relevance. Seems you have already learned the task of proper "tagging," which should give you traffic for years to come.

You may notice a certain increase in traffic right after a hub is first published, but that is internal traffic and has no bearing upon what you will eventually get externally through the search engines.

1. LarasMama profile image59
      LarasMamaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Basically I have almost never promoted my hubs (probably have less than 30 link backs to my 66 hubs). I just keep writing them.

Basically hubpages traffic is *mostly* useless. Other than giving you some feedback on your hubs, visits from hubpages are redundant - it's visits from outside sources, especially search engines, that give you the ad clicks and amazon sales.

Some hubs can be seasonal - for instance people may not want to search for hot recipes in the middle of a hot summer. Other pages just do their thing and you'll turn around to see a page your forgot getting 50+ hits a day.

All I can say is - unless you want to do the background research and know SEO really well, don't bother with promoting and making them word perfect. Just make sure they're as good as you can make them then go write another one. Some hubs sink, some hubs get 300 views a day, it really depends on the fickle things people are searching these days.

So basically - the more hubs you write, the more *chance* that a certain topic will be very popular and get tons of hits.

3. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

All I can say is that promoting and back linking is boring! I did like 50 hubs before I got round to promoting them and this meant lots of promoting of hubs and little writing sad

I prefer to do any promotion I plan on after writing, while I am still excited and such. This way it doesn't seem such a huge task.

1. Spacey Gracey profile image39
      Spacey Graceyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Kirsten - I am experiencing exactly the same pain. I've got about 70 hubs that need backlinks, but as soon as I start to do it I find myself looking at fun things to buy on Amazon or posting in forums. Need to train my kids up to do the backlinking for me - they are 3 and 5, think they can handle it smile

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Lately I mostly just promote my hubs through Facebook and Twitter. I occasionally add them to social networking sites.

5. Instgtr profile image61
    Instgtrposted 13 years ago

Thanks for all of these replies, but now I realize I may have assumed something that might be wrong.

When we promote one of our hubs (outside of HubPages) is the reader brought to our profile page here at hubpages or just shown the specific page from the link they click on?

I was assuming they would be brought to the profile page, where they could then see any other hubs we've done.  If that's NOT the case, having an inventory of pages they could then go to is really a mute point and I should be promoting (outside HP) as I create them rather than waiting...

Does anyone know what actually happens when someone who is NOT a member of HP clicks a link to one of our hubs?

Thanx,
    Dennis

1. dijones profile image58
      dijonesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you post a link somewhere to one of your Hubs then the visitor will go to your specific linked Hub. If the link that you post somewhere can be with keywords specific to your Hub then you will also help it to climb in the search engines.

That would be the aim, high rankings in search engines so that you get search engine traffic.

This is the best traffic as it is people searching for what your Hub is about and hopefully that can turn in to a sale or other way of earning from it.

1. dijones profile image58
        dijonesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would also say to get the most traffic to your hubs try to write hub titles as you would imagine someone would type the query in to a search engine. I know many do not like to do this but it makes them the most relevant in terms of a search engine.

This will boost the number of visitors even with no promotion as they will be seen as closer to what the searcher is looking for.

Hope this helps.

1. 49lart profile image64
          49lartposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with dijones, a good titles are keyword rich and slightly longer titles have a better chance for first page in searches ie 4-5 words in order of importance. It is important to market your hubs as you go and learn from their performance and encourage returning visitors.

2. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If people search for topics, they will be directed to your specific hubs. However, some will probably click on your icon, which will land them on your profile page. Statistics show that profile pages do get rather many views, but only your 6 most recent hubs are immediately viewable, and many visitors don't stay very long.

I think you are well-served to focus on promoting your hubs outside of HubPages, as opposed to within. There, it is even more true that each hub is seen as a separate unit.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)