More Money - Hubpages or Blogger ?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (67 posts)
  1. profile image0
    RandomSh!tposted 13 years ago

I have a question.  For google adsence, I know with hubpages a person only recives a certain percentage from ad clicks, but with blogger you get 100% - So wouldn't it be more profitable posting on blogger vs hubpages ? especially if your traffic from blogger is about the same traffic as hubpages. Thank You

1. darkside profile image67
      darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You'd think so. But from my personal experience it's HubPages by a long stretch.

1. profile image0
        RandomSh!tposted 13 years agoin reply to this

do you know why hubpages have been so sucessful for so many ? Is it because it is an interactive site ? From what I had learned hubbers will give you good view counts but rarely click ads

1. waynet profile image69
          waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hubbers aren't really supposed to click ads on any hubbers accounts, it's really from external sites like through Google searches and things like that that you want to aim for the traffic from!

1. profile image0

well good thing i didnt click no ad's,..LOL

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There's the catch, Random.  You can get a lot of traffic to a Hub without really trying.  You have to work hard at promotion to get traffic to Blogger.

So your question should be, "which can make more from Adsense, HP or Blogger, for the same amount of effort?"

The answer to that question is HP hands down.

1. profile image0

I am taking this all into concideration,.. asking how much time I want to put into this.  Thanks for the feedback,...

2. TerryGl profile image57
        TerryGlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Marisa.

If your getting good traffic from Blogger then try to direct some of that traffic to your Hubpages to see if you can get some form of balance with your Adsense earnings.

You will quickly see the cost per click will not doubtedly be higher on Hubpages then it is on Blogger. That's been my experience to date.

1. profile image0

Okay Thanks for that tip,..

2. profile image0
          shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But be careful that you dont violate the terms and conditions (TOS) of Blogger *wink*

3. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The is nothing to stop you from doing both.  My blogs make money from adsense, but it depends on your ability to build traffic and manage your own website.  Hubs are much easier to do and you have no real costs in terms of time or money.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Hubpages by a long shot

1. profile image0

that was a quick response,..you seem pretty definate about it.  I just wonder why ? perhaps I need to read more threads in the forums to understand. Thanks for answering

3. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Blogger is a good fit for adsense and affiliate promotions, but also Hubpages is too, although I do earn more from my blogs I just keep coming back to hubpages.....

1. profile image0

I figured more could be made from blogger however I do like all the people here so far, everyone is so interactive

1. waynet profile image69
        waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do make more from blogger, but also with Wordpress too, the gradual shift though is becoming apparent with Hubpages that each page I write will make me money, some less and some more, but a mix of blogger and hubpages does do wonders for small time earning!

1. profile image0

perhaps i will try to do both, but was thinking about just doing one or the other.

4. Len Cannon profile image87
    Len Cannonposted 13 years ago

Use both.

5. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I am making more from HubPages than Blogger

1. profile image0

hmmm i wonder if its because hubpages indexes higher than blogger,... I am just trying to see all the mechanical stuff related to this online money making stuff,..LOL

1. profile image0

Hubpages are in the top100 of sites in the USA.  When I look for articles on Google, it is more likely that hubpages articles rank higher on the same subject than other article sites.  ... just my experience smile

6. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

HP of course. Too long to explain why it cannot be other way around smile

1. profile image0

Gottch ya !!! Okay hubpages it will be !! Thank You Everybody !!!

2. Aya Katz profile image84
      Aya Katzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe write a hub about it, Misha.

1. profile image0

I agree,.. He's good,..LOL

1. profile image0

Misha is one of the best!

7. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

LOL I can't finish the one on keyword research. When I complete it, and get a deserved rest after, I may think about that one, too smile

8. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 13 years ago

Blogging is definitely the best choice, but hubpages will help you build traffic to your blog.
    I have created a hub on this topic, check it out. "How to get paid for your writings."

9. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Don't put all the eggs in one basket.

10. Aya Katz profile image84
    Aya Katzposted 13 years ago

What I've noticed is that when it comes to my hubs, most of the traffic is "organic" as it comes from search engines. And when I say search engines, I really mean mostly Google. But on my blogs, most of the traffic comes from referring sites. That means, I don't rank high enough for my keywords to get me traffic. There's some kind of artificial reason, not based on the intrinsic interest in my blog posts or hubs, that favors the hubs. Hubpages must have made a deal with the devil! Or, if you want a more technical explanation, wait for Misha's hub on the subject.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

It's very simple, Aya.  HubPages as a whole has a lot of quality content, so Google regards the whole site as "reputable".  So your Hubs ride on those coat-tails.

In contrast, Google exercises very few quality controls over their own Blogger site, so they know that the average blogger blog is a load of cr@p.  Therefore your blog has to earn its spurs on its own merits, with no help from the reputation of the larger site.

11. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

oh my hubpages are far more lucrative than my blogger blogs....roll

12. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

HP is the huge winner over Blogger, when you compare time and effort.

13. maruthirp profile image59
    maruthirpposted 13 years ago

Obviously hubpages because you dont need to drive traffic in hubpages but in blogger you need to drive traffic.

1. psycheskinner profile image82

However if you do know how to attract traffic, Blogger will (and in my case *does*) make more.

14. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I earn more from Hubpages than Blogger, for similar amounts of effort.  With Blogger you need to keep it constantly updated, or traffic will slow down over time.  With Hubpags you have thousands of other people updating too, so Google sees the site as forever fresh!

15. Ultimate Hubber profile image72
    Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years ago

My articles on my niche sites perform better than the same articles here. But HP is good for miscellaneous articles you don't have niche sites/blogs on.

You said: " wouldn't it be more profitable posting on blogger vs hubpages ? especially if your traffic from blogger is about the same traffic as hubpages."
    In case traffic is the same, blogger is obviously a better option than HP.

1. thisisoli profile image70
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The problem is that Blogspot blogs drop after a few years, and rarely increases by itself. I noticed on my first encounter with Hubpages however that in my 6-8 month absense (I only initially came to make a few hubs for backlinks to other sites) they naturally grew organically in a way that my Hubs never did.  I have still noticed these hubs growing over time. The near unique website that Hubpages has created allows for consitantly evolving content which keeps your page in the Google rankings.

This is of course just my own experience, and I have only 2 years under my belt at Hubpages, however I have been using blogger under several accounts since it first began (I was quite excited to find an easy to use 'blogging' platform after several years using rather awkwards systems like Greymatter.

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image72
        Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Quite rite, but there are quite a few exceptions. I am constantly seeing a blogspot blog ranking number 1 in Google in a very high traffic niche. It ranks high for many long tailed keywords also and the owner of that blog is not doing much on it lately. However, I don't have a blogspot blog that ranks high and was talking about my own sites/blogs.

16. profile image0
    RandomSh!tposted 13 years ago

ThNk you everyone who offered me advice,.. I have to deleate my account now though,.. guess my name breaks rules,..LOL. I'll be back though - just not sure what name I will use.

17. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

I think that HP wins for traffic at the moment, I started a blog at around the same time and I have promoted it far more than my HP account, but my hubs get far more traffic.. New to this so will continue with both and see what happens long term.. Nothing lost having both..

It depends on your blog topic.  hubs have reliable low level traffic, but a blog in the right niche will get more trafic under its own url.  It really depends on what the topic is.

Psycheskinner, I'd be willing to bet that if you started a blog and a Hub, both on the same niche and both at the same time, you'd still get traffic to the Hub a lot faster.

That's certainly been my experience.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
          Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's been my experience too.

2. Ultimate Hubber profile image72

Marisa, you are under estimating the power of niche blogs, especially the ones you buy a domain name and hosting for. You can get niche blogs ranked high with a little effort.

Yes but you can get traffic to Hubs with NO effort.

And for a newbie who has no idea how to promote, there is a huge  effort in learning how to promote in the first place.  And let's not even think about getting hosting and setting up their blog!

Experienced people forget how long it took them to find their way through the maze!

1. profile image0

I agree... everything has already been taken care of by the Hubpages team to give good content a boost before actually doing anything. All components have already been inbuilt included covering out backside in terms of TOS for adsense.

Ignorants is 9 tenths of the law but there is never an excuse for it!  Condemnation comes hard, quick and fast despite nievity. *wink*

2. Ultimate Hubber profile image72

But once you have learnt this stuff, blogs is a good option!

1. profile image0

Content is king... keep the quality!

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image72

But you need a good amount of army to keep the king alive. smile

1. profile image0

Which is why hubpages are a great place to start.  News capsules etc help.  Blogs are good as a continuous update - a refresh - but you have to keep on top of this - keeping content fresh.  This is not a one person job, as you said... you need an army!

3. psycheskinner profile image82

I have, and I didn't.  Blogger won.

Like I said, it depends on the topic but for me, it is Blogger by a mile.

Your experience can differ, but my experience is still my experience.

18. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 13 years ago

Now if you are an expert like Sunforged - http://hubpages.com/profile/sunforged - then you will not go far wrong to successful internet marketing.  He is a highly recommended Guru to follow and helpful too!

1. LarasMama profile image61
      LarasMamaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hubpages anyday. I've got my own blogger site but it hardly compares to hubpages. With HP I can write on ANY topic (not just the one on my site) and since HP has a PR6 (as opposed to my sites hard worked PR2), pages I make here are ranked much higher in google, meaning more traffic even when I don't backlink on 90% of my hubs.

So basically - all I do is write, instead of spending tons of time on promotion and write 20% of the time.

19. profile image0

Blogger just killed 15 of my blogs for spam. I'm in good company from what I've heard. So there's that to consider when you're working on a freebie model run by google.

Honestly I've been watching my personal website traffic and HP traffic carefully since the infamous MayDay update and the Hub Traffic has bee much more stable.

Ultimately I think that it takes both for a dependable revenue stream.

1. profile image0

Thanks Nelle... this is an example to the doubters.  See, Im not so stupid!... well maybe I am? lol

Anyway, as a word of warning... dont attempt to get them blogs reinstated... they get examined by human eyes.  I have tried to give it a go, thinking it would be automated but I had a message stating this.

Sorry to hear Blogger has done this - did all other Google accounts get disabled too?... (adsense, googlemail etc)

Well, Blogger has TOS just as Hubpages does.  So you have to abide by them.

20. profile image0

Shaz, It wasn't a big deal to me - I was curious to see how they performed. Mostly not well at all. I didn't even count them in my personal website list.

My blogger sites were no different than many others, who are still active. I'm not going to try to get them reinstated, it's not worth it to me.

1. profile image0

It is all trial and error, isnt it Nelle?!  *love your style!*

21. lakeerieartists profile image63
    lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

I have several Google blogs, but had one closed for spam.  I actually did ask to have it reinstated, but never heard back.  Not sure why they didn't like it.  I have not had major problems with blogger, but it is not my preferred blogging system.

1. Aya Katz profile image84
      Aya Katzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How do they define spam?

One definition is if all your outgoing links point to the same site. I had one disabled for spam, years ago, because I created a blog to promote my Helium articles.

However, I know some people who have blogs promoting their Hubs which haven't been marked as spam, so it may all come down to how you do it.

2. profile image0

What is your preferred blogging system?

@ Marisa.... I definately think it is how you do it!

Shaz, did you ever work out what the secret is??

22. Research Analyst profile image72
    Research Analystposted 13 years ago

If you are trying to compare blogger with hubpages that is like comparing oranges to apples, they are not even in the same league. First of all hubpages is a community social plateform that allows us to submit mini sites for content and revenue sharing purposes, so the amount of traffic is going to be much higher no matter what your topic is about.

Blogger on the other hand is a free blog platform that requires you to write content that is going to need to be promoted either by joining a blog community or using such things as social bookmarks, article directories, forums or ppc, it just will take much more work to get targeted traffic.

Also if you are trying to make money, traffic alone is not the answer you need conversion, you will have to have some type of paid ad system integrated into your blogger blogs such as adsense, kontera, chikita, amazon or the like, whereas hubpages provides all that for you.

So you should be asking what other blog platforms can I use to earn in conjunction with hubpages? and the answer to that is a self-hosted blog, such as wordpress or just build your own niche websites with specific domain names for each topic you want to cover.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)