To All Hubbers Who Have Quit Smoking Or Know Someone Who Has

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Dale Mazurek profile image62
    Dale Mazurekposted 13 years ago

As many of you know I quit smoking on May 6th, 2010

I quit and because of that I believe that makes me an expert of sorts.

Because of this I figured why the hell not try and monetize my good fortune.

I have started a brand new WP blog for my quit smoking niche.  One of the pages is titled good news stories.

What I am looking for is hubbers to send me their good news stories or a good news story of someone they know.

You can send the story to my email at hubpages.  Also if you have a link that is directly related to quitting smoking then feel free to send it along as well.

You can check out the brand new site towards the bottom of my profile page.

Cheers

Dale

One thing I would also like help with is making a decision.  I am looking at also adding a bad news stories page.  Do my friends here at hubpages think that is too much or could scare tactics help to help people to quit.

I do respect everyones suggestions here on hubpages.

1. aktifistri profile image57
      aktifistriposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Dale, I heard a story of someone quitting cigarettes. The person is a friend of my brother's friend. I'd like to share here to answer your 'invitation' since i think the way he quit was--to me--inspiring and amazing! While basically i always believe that's all about 'the willing' to stop..not 'the way' to stop.. :p

This person had a strong willing to stop (i can't remember if he has a strong 'outsider' reason to stop, but for sure there is a 'strong willing'), so he didn't procrastinate or even do gradual-quitting. What he did was, in the beginning he still kept buying normal amount of ciggies pack as usual. Then, every time he got the craving he'll take one cigarette just to smell it and smell..

As time goes, he reduces the amount of ciggies he bought, and kept smelling it when he craved for that..untill he didn't feel any craving. In a couple months he succeeded stop-smoking.

That's it..well, come would probably think he just throwing money for 'nothing' by kept buying some cigarettes during the process of quitting. But, it's maybe the best way for him.. so, the way will follow the will, not the opposite..  Btw, i wish my husband gets the strong will soon since we're planning for baby..

2. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

Still a smoker sorry Just wanted to say Hi.

Dale Mazurekposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Always time in my day to say hi to a friend.

Ah crap I need to go look at your two hubs.  Will go right now.

Sorry my friend

Dale

1. Ohma profile image59
        Ohmaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

it is actually 3 now but it's all good I know you are extremely busy.

I am very busy but I work very hard to not be too busy for my friends.

1. Ohma profile image59
            Ohmaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Glad I fall into that category!

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

LOL Dale, that may work for you for sure. smile

Don't really have a story - I just quit after 35 plus years, and never looked back. My wife was smoking for a few more years, and finally quit a few months ago, we hope for good smile

I think I will add the bad news story page as well.

people have the choice of going to it or not

Dale

4. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 13 years ago

I quit smoking nine years ago, took all the extra money I would have spent on cigarrettes and invested it in the Tobacco company. Now I'm a millionare...........
    just kidding, still didn't save much money.

5. Dale Mazurek profile image62
    Dale Mazurekposted 13 years ago

Im hoping eventually someone will help me out with either a good or bad news story about smoking

Dale

1. kirstenblog profile image77
      kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dale check your inbox wink
      I sent a not so good story hmm

I will keep you in mind tho as at some point soon I plan on trying to quit myself again. Could be that success would mean a good story to share and a little more motivation smile

Thanks Kirsten

I think the bad news stories can be just as important as the good news stories.

Wouldnt it be a great world if we had enough good news stories to eliminate all the bad news stories when it came to smoking.

Anyways your story will be listed on my new blog.

Thank you for taking the time to write

Dale

2. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can give you a bad one: my husband tried to quit for about 25 years. Like for a week he would quit and then some stress, tired - here you go again. Then one day a brain stroke ran him over like a truck on a freeway. Life made him quit. But alas, too late.

That is such a sad and trying story.

So many reasons for people to quit.

I will put your story on the blog.

Thank you for sharing

6. Spacey Gracey profile image39
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

Good news story - my grandfather gave up his 40+ a day habit 20 years ago and that means he gets to play with his great-grandsons.

Bad news story - my aunt wouldn't stop smoking even though her husband got lung cancer. She still smoked in the same room as him until he died - I refused to see her because of this even though we had been very close. She died 2 years after him from alcohol abuse - well you did ask for the bad stories too.

7. Spacey Gracey profile image39
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

Wanted to add I think your bad stories page is a great idea.

If these stories can even help one person decide to quit then the page is absolutely a plus

Dale

8. Gabe Abbott profile image61
    Gabe Abbottposted 13 years ago

Go on and post your bad stories page. It's not like smokers don't already know what they are doing to themselves. I just quit and maybe I will get back a few years. It was too late for my wife though.

If even one person reads your page and stops becasue of it then yo have done a very good thing.

1. profile image52
      Sohan_NLFposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Hi Dale i am also an ex smoker
      And will send my shortly

9. weeyo profile image61
    weeyoposted 13 years ago

Ex smoker here too, will try to send info in the next day or two.

10. alican profile image58
    alicanposted 13 years ago

Hi, I have just started on hubpages, its great.
    I am just about to attempt to give up smoking using a new method. Dont want to say too much about it now but would you be interested in a daily or weekly report on my progress.

1. cathylynn99 profile image74
      cathylynn99posted 13 years agoin reply to this

sure, keep us posted. best of luck to you. if you could only make one health decision, quitting smoking is the one with the most health benefits. you're making a terrific choice.

11. cathylynn99 profile image74
    cathylynn99posted 13 years ago

I lost an aunt and an uncle to smoking-related lung cancer, then a 49 y.o. smoking uncle to emphysema, and finally a 49 y.o. smoking uncle to a heart attack. With all this negative family experience, it gradually dawned on my mom that her shortness of breath would just keep getting worse until she quit. She got an Rx for Chantix and quit three years ago. She now coughs less and is on less breathing medicine.

12. Diane Inside profile image73
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

My dad quit smoking some years back. I think scare tactics can work for some, as it did for him. He was in his 40's and diagnosed with high blood pressure, overweight, and generally his doctor told him the path he was going down would probably result in an early death.

I guess he thought about that alot in the truck on the way to work, etc. Anyway one day he just had enough and threw them out the window of the truck. Okay its littering but hey if thats what it took to get him to quit so be it.

He is now 60 and never picked it back up. So I was glad he did it. He was a 3 pack a day smoker. I mean a cigarette in his hand at all times.

13. kelvinlls profile image60
    kelvinllsposted 13 years ago

Hi,

I'm an ex-smoker myself and I quit 8 years ago and never looked back. I quit because I have had enough of living an unhealthy lifestyle, and I got into a circle of friends who are health and fitness buffs. I trained myself mentally to associate smoking to something disgusting, and this helped me quit with having to use patches and gums.

I believe your environment helps a lot with quitting cigarettes. If you find a group of people who are into their health and fitness, and be inspired with what they can achieve with their life, plus the amount of energy they have just because they don't smoke, it will help you get to your goal. I truly believe that you really have to reprogram your mind and use it to kick the habit by replacing it with a new one.

I took up running instead and joined fun runs instead. It's better huffing and puffing oxygen than nicotine for sure!

I've created a hub on how to best quit smoking without patches, and you can visit it here:

<no self-promoting links>

There's also some materials that have helped me quit smoking, so if you're interested, check this out:

<no self-promoting links>
    Hope I have helped you in some way.

cheers,
    Kelvin

14. ripples profile image60
    ripplesposted 13 years ago

I was a chain smoker.
    Here "http://hubpages.com/hub/stop_smokin" is how I quit smoking.

15. ecigs4u profile image60
    ecigs4uposted 13 years ago

Electronic cigarettes are what helped me stop smoking.

Im sure the E cigarette has helped many people and that really is great.

I really am not sure how I did it but after day 6 I havent used a darn thing and still a non smoker after three and a half months

Dale

1. motherbeastly profile image59
        motherbeastlyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good on yer kid.  I'm on year 6 and still don't know what made it work this time.  http://hubpages.com/hub/No-thank-you-I-dont-smoke tells a little about it.

1. profile image53
          westyjamesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am very new to the hubpages (about 1/2 an hour) lol & already I have found it useful & informative through your info about quitting smoking. I have a 6 yr. old son & have tried to stop smoking quite a few times with the patch & I just couldn't stay quit, so  I wanted to thank you for motivating me once again (hopefully this will be the last attempt needed) & for passing on the quit smoking site (I just joined). Wish me luck & thanks again. Westyjames

16. gmann46 profile image59
    gmann46posted 13 years ago

I have been smoke free now coming up on 2 years this December and I think what worked for me was that I finaly made the decision to quit, I'll say that again "I finaly made the decision to quit" and that was the beginning of the end of cigarettes for me after 35+ years. Then I just tried different things along the way for the first 2 mos. to get past the initial stages. Quit date 12/30/2008!!!

17. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

Hi dale, I was gonna say you have to pay but now i see from thinking that i would get paid if they visit my hub!!! Lol j/k

I have an awesome hubhttp://hubpages.com/hub/A-Genius-Way-to-Surely-Quit-Smoking

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)