What to write about?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (17 posts)
  1. lucieanne profile image69
    lucieanneposted 13 years ago

what sort of things do people who make the most money on here write about? If the only way to make big bucks is to promote goods then I'm not gonna get very far, as I dont know much about cameras or toys or which computer is the best one to buy, or yoga, or dancing, or 'how to' anything really. Am I on the wrong site? I love writing on here, but ultimately I want to earn some hard cash.

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You just need to write what you know, find the right keywords and share your article to your target audience.  Content is king, but you need to get your work out there through backlinking as naturally as possible.  You already have a head start... hubpages has most of the tools to help your success.

Truly, take a look around you... what do you see?  What do you do daily that you take for granted?  What you take for granted is another person's search.

Are you a mother? A partner? A lover?  What have you found works successfully in your life?  What have you found to be a failure for which you have learned from?

The world is open... just allow your mind to go... wild!

2. Maddie Ruud profile image72
      Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You definitely do not need to promote anything to make money.  but if you're thinking of doing creative writing, like stories or poems, you probably won't earn much.

Write about what you know.  You use hundreds of products every day; write reviews of them--favorable or unfavorable.  Write about your mattress, household cleaners, coffee maker, toothpaste, flea medicine for your pet, hair spray, or the last book you read!  I'm also sure there are things you know how to do.  You don't have to over-complicate things.  A lot of what people are searching for is tips for things you might consider easy or simple, and for reviews or info on certain brand-name products.

Check out the IdeaBank for some inspiration.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Lucieanne,

Do you have a particular perspective about social issues?
    Do you have a view about politicians and their actions?
    Do you have kids?(lots to write about in this category)
    Do you have knowledge about schools?
    Do you use products?(write reviews- your experience)
    Do you have pet peeves?(things you don't like in the world)

You can always find small or large topics within each so as to branch off and create other hubs.

Hope that was helpful. smile

lucieanneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks guys - you're all a real inspiration. One of my flaws is self doubt. I'm not clued up about internet stuff and a lot of what I read on here is about as clear as mud, but... I'm learning. Its a bit daunting when I read some of the accomplished hubbers' stuff though, but I guess I have to learn to walk before I can run.
      Thanks for all your advice, which I shall take on board and apply.

1. liljen23 profile image75
        liljen23posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hello Lucieanne, I was clueless to about what to write but I found out that I know only a certain amount of things and the best thing to do is break whatever idea you have into categories. The more you know about a certain topic the more exposure you receive because it is showing how relevant you are on that topic. Write down what you know on a piece of paper and break every last one of your ideas down into great titles to put on Hubpages. Once you have that write at least 500 words and submit it on Hubpages. You can also submit articles on other websites too and link them back to Hubpages.

I am trying to make hard cash but it is taking so long but like I am going to tell you "don't give up" , make a plan and stick with it. I am trying to take it one step at a time and remain consistent. I wrote down so many goals last night and I want to achieve them. I want to make around $3,000-$4,000 on writing articles but I know it will take a while and I am ready for it.. Good luck to Lucieanne.. Keep Going..

2. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Learning from other people has its limitations. The topics that appear the most attractive at a glance are oftentimes the most crowded ones, too.

With the way you have phrased your initial question, I think it unlikely someone who truly has found a valuable niche would hand it to you. Thus, you may have to start doing your own research and do some hard thinking.

Your so-called "self doubt" I do not take at face value, you have been one of the most visible new hubbers I have ever seen. So once you get your writing skills tuned to the format of this site, I'm sure you'll do very well indeed.

lucieanneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your comment - I really appreciate the time you all take to reply. Can you explain what you mean about tuning my writing skills to the format of the site? I just write the only way I know how, so if I'm doing it wrong I would really appreciate some advice,
          Thanks

1. profile image0
            Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can always post links to your hubs and request feedback on the Extreme Hub Makeover forum.

There is of course no standard formula for this site. Some people write dynamically, others matter-of-factly, yet others have developed their unique style. It all depends upon what you write about and what type of audience you intend to attract. But clearly, some writers make more efficient communicators than do others.

In general:
            - Keep your writing clear, concise, and crisp;
            - Avoid overly long paragraphs or sentences;
            - Consider "addressing" your readers from time to time (e.g. "As you may have heard..." as opposed to "Many people have been reported to have heard...")
            - Similarly, consider injecting a few rhetorical questions here and there (e.g. "Would you buy a used car from that man? Probably not...");
            - Endeavor to make a clear point, if possible several sub-conclusions leading to an overall conclusion, motivating the reader to read through to the end;
            - Once people have read your hub, they will want to feel that they reaped some specific reward - that, it seems, is a key element in success on HubPages.

3. travelespresso profile image70
    travelespressoposted 13 years ago

Hello Lucieanne
    You're receiving some excellent advice here.

I just had a look at two of your hubs.  My opinion is that they are very well written and you've excellent photographs.

Two suggestions though
    - you could add more tags to the articles to improve your chances of them being "found" by people searching

- you could use the information you have in the two destination/historical hubs and write a new one for people traveling to those areas.  The background information is great but how could travelers benefit from it?  Join these new articles to hubtrails and that could help your readership and ultimately earn money.

If you are interested in using this information to write a travel hub or two check out Ohma's profile to get information on hubtrails + I've written a hubtrail FAQ.

Hope that helps and I hope you like it here!

4. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Hi Lucieanne, why don't you start making a list of topics that you want to write about.  I have a 'Hub Topics' doc on my laptop and if I read something interesting in the paper or a magazine, or think of something during the day, I just jot it down and then won't forget it. I now have 12 pages of ideas, so am not going to run out of things to write about any time soon!

Also sign up for Google Analytics, as I also get plenty of ideas from keywords that people have used to get to my hubs.

5. Alison Graham profile image93
    Alison Grahamposted 13 years ago

Hi, there is so much great advice here that I am sure you will not be stuck for ideas now.  As to how to make money from your hubs, firstly I would say, the keywords you use.  I would not advise you to look for a high paying keyword and write about that, but if, for example is you already wanted to write a hub about lawn mowers you could go to the google keywords research tool and put in lawn mowers and then display the cpc (cost per click column) and see which keywords have not only the highest cpc but also the highest global search volume.  You could then include these higher paying/high search volume keywords in your hub quite naturally and use them as tags.  Secondly, I would say, promote your own hubs, use the share it button at the bottom of your hub plus promote by creating bookmarks on other sites such as Xomba, She Told Me, Delicious and so on.  Thirdly as many people visit your profile page as well as reading a hub, put links to hubs you want to promote within your profile information.  Good luck with your hubs, they are well written.

6. lucieanne profile image69
    lucieanneposted 13 years ago

Thanks again to you all for your help and advice. I'm beginning to get the picture now. I love it on hubpages and am willing to take it all on board in order to learn to write the best I can. I've written the hubs about my hometown to sort of dip my toe in the water, so to speak. I'm having a few ideas for other subjects and your advice is extremely helpful.

7. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

I have a hub what should I write about? that is as expansive as i can get on the topic.

Your hometown/local idea is an intelligent decision as you are likely to have little competition (unless you live in a major city)

In general, just open your eyes and never think a topic is to small

8. bojanglesk8 profile image61
    bojanglesk8posted 13 years ago

Write about things that will display good, tempting ads.

9. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 13 years ago

You could write about hobbies, like your experience with them, for instance if you like painting, or sewing, you could share tips on how to do something, such as hiking, saving money on groceries or buying designer clothes on clearance. It just takes you time to think of things that you find interesting.

People like to read about another persons experience with simple things like cleaning a bathroom, hosting a party or decorating a room. All these are valuable to people and it focuses on offering advice as well as providing good content for advertisers.

Hope this helps.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)