What does it mean when you dont dream anymore

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (39 posts)
  1. VampireAlice profile image61
    VampireAliceposted 13 years ago

im not dreaming and i dont know why

1. profile image0
      Precious Williamsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Does it worry you that you can't remember?  I always remember dreams and frankly it's exhausting and I don't sleep for more than two hours at a time.

VampireAliceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i can remember my dreams did you not read what i just posted

1. profile image52
          BlurredIdentityposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your post says "im not dreaming and I dont know why" nothing about remembering..I am new to this site but isn't the top post the first post made and then followed by replies? if I am right..perhaps /you/ should read what you posted? smile

2. VampireAlice profile image61

as you may or may not know im 17 which means i still need my sleep.
      it doesnt matter how much sleep i get i still never dream. its not that i dont remember its just im not dreaming at all.
      in most of my dreams i would remember one thing about it but other then that im not dreaming....can anyone help me.?

1. profile image0

As Cagsil has said, you are dreaming.  There's nothing anyone can do to trigger your dreaming again.  If it's going to come back it will do so naturally.  Don't worry about it.

easy for you to say

im not dreaming if i were i would remember it

1. profile image54
              ibelonginspaceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

a person has a dream or more than one dream every night but if you think you are not dreaming its bc you just don't remember them. I am 21 yrs old and havnt remembered a dream in over 3 yrs so i asked my doctor about it and he said everyone dreams every night its just depends on whether you remember them. he said that means i probably fall into a deep sleep so quickly that i never remember my dreams.

2. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are not remembering them. Everyone has about 100 dreams on average a night. Some people can remember whole dreams, some remember only bits and pieces, and then there are people like me who remembers nothing of the dream from the night before.

If you used to remember your dreams, then I would say you have a problem, unless your head has been damaged in some way, like a concussion. A bruising of the brain can damage your ability to dream.

Why I do not remember my dreams? Is still unknown to me, but I have no desire to find out why and simply accepted it.

i was dropped on my head as a baby

1. Cagsil profile image70

About 80% of the world's population could say that and it would be true. However, I am one of those children as well and it had no correlation with my dream issues.

There has always been a time where a parent has bumped or dropped their child by accident, especially in today's society, which is still in a hurry up and wait mentality.

You being dropped when a baby is irrelevant to your being 17 years old now. How long has it been since you remember having a dream? Or has this been an issue for you all your life?

the last dream i had i think i was in middle school and once getting up for high school but i have always had this problem. mt normal number of dreams is either one or none a week

1. Cagsil profile image70

Then it's not really a problem. You are making more out of than there appears to be.

However, as for what Ralwus said- it is true. You cannot be a member of HubPages if you are under 18 years of age.

Teenagers are not allowed to have accounts and since you have made your age known, your account is to be reported to admin.

Sorry. hmm

2. profile image0

Yes I read what you wrote! You said you were not dreaming.  You are! Everyone does!

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

VampireAlice, Ivorwen is right. Everyone dreams, but we only remember the dreams that happen right before we wake up.

Probably you were a light sleeper before, so you'd wake up slightly several times each night - and you'd remember all the dreams you had. 

If you're now sleeping more soundly, and not waking through the night, then you can only remember one dream - the one you have just before you wake up in the morning.  And if you were really soundly asleep, you won't even remember that one.

There are lots of reasons why your sleep pattern has changed - maybe it's hormones, maybe it's something you're eating, maybe it's a change in your surroundings.

4. Susana S profile image92
          Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's actually pretty easy to start remembering your dreams again. You just need to signal to your unconscious that you want to remember and that you're willing to pay attnetion to  whatever it throws out at you. Here's something to help: http://www.sapphiredreaminterpretation. … reams.html

3. artist101 profile image60
        artist101posted 11 years agoin reply to this

It may be a B-6 deficiency. It is one of the symptoms, dream recall. It is fairly safe in doses, below 1000mg. Above this numbness has accured. It is the co-factor of amino acids, that produce neurotransmitters, such as serotonin, so therefore a necessary nutrient. Best taken in a b complex formula, as per researchers. Most of us are just "running on empty". Melatonin, is the supplement for insomnia, produced from trytophan. Present in milk, turkey, and brown rice. Also in supplement form. Never combine with prescription drugs, for the same thing, as interaction can occur. Nor with an MAO inhibitor.

3. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years ago

You are dreaming, you're just not remembering them. smile

4. profile image0
      ralwusposted 13 years ago

One must be 18 or older to be a member here. Goodbye

not true

1. profile image0
          ralwusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's not? Well gee, kiss my royal pumpkin then.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually it is true, Alice. You have to be 18.

5. Shadesbreath profile image77
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

It means one of two things:

1)  Stop drinking so much.

2)  You are dead.

1. blondepoet profile image67
        blondepoetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree dead.

6. cheaptrick profile image75
      cheaptrickposted 13 years ago

Your subconscious mind and your unconscious mind collaborate to generate dreams.when a dream gains enough momentum it will become vivid enough to Impress the dormant consciousness enough that you will remember it.Sometimes the every day experiences we have are so dominant they cancel out our dreams in our memory.I'd like to suggest a period of calming and relaxing mentally before you go to bed.you may find that releasing the every day clutter allows your dreams to speak more clearly and impress your concious mind so you do remember them.
      Meditate,contemplate,receive.Do not try to force them.Find your balance and you will have beautiful dreams.
      That's a promise...

7. FrankiesGirl6Yr profile image71
      FrankiesGirl6Yrposted 13 years ago

There are 4 stages of sleep, plus REM. REM is where you dream. You are either not reaching REM or not remembering it. Either way you are getting proper sleep.
      Now....... Goodbye

8. profile image58
      foreignpressposted 13 years ago

Dreaming usually indicates an unsettled mind. Some people say that your mind is trying to figure things out as you sleep and this results in dreaming. Of course, dreams can be good or bad. Regardless, the thoughts and images that result in dreams are your mind trying to grapple with things that have not been resolved.
         If you're not dreaming then your life is somewhat trouble free. Enjoy the sleep. No need to create problems when there aren't any.

9. Ivorwen profile image66
      Ivorwenposted 13 years ago

I've heard it said that you only remember dreams if you were woke up, even slightly, during them.  I don't know if this is 100% true, but I do know that since my children started sleeping through the night, I have not known I was dreaming, even once.  It is weird not having a 'single dream' in more than 6 months, after having 2-3 a week pretty consistently, for years.

10. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

During sleep people go in and out of "levels of deepness" of sleep.  A lot of things can throw off a normal night's sleep.  Going with too little sleep is one.  A person who goes to bed at midnight and sets the alarm for 5:30 may be awakened at "the wrong time" for remembering dreams.  If the same person goes into a deep sleep for hours on the weekend he may go into such a sound sleep he won't remember the dreams. I've found that when I used to take allergy medicine or some cold medicines I never felt as if I got a "real" sleep and didn't dream.  There are just a lot of things that can interrupt a sleep cycle.

Just for anyone interested in head injuries that happen when someone is baby, in general, because babies brains are new, babies are the ones who stand the best chance of the brain healing completely after injury.  Older people aren't "growing" brain cells at the same rate of speed babies are.  (Of course, some new discovery can always be made that contradicts what has been previously believed.)  My son had a skull fracture before I adopted him from infancy.  Brain scans showed no damage, but he was a child who did have night terrors.  A lot of children have night terrors, but I found if I didn't let him go to sleep too early each night it seemed to eliminated the night terrors.  A particularly busy/frazzled day often ended in night with a "episode" once he fell asleep.

I did always wonder if the feeling of what went on when he was too young to remember may have "been brought up" in his sleep, leaving that sense of terror without any "images to attach to it" in his dreams/sleep (the way someone who remembers something bad may dream about the bad thing or at least have images "to attach".  I wondered, too, though, whether it might the time he spent in the hospital, rather than the actual head injury.   He had the night terrors from the time he was a young infant, and they continued (but gradually lessened in frequency and intensity) as he got older.  I don't know.....   I know what is said about night terrors, but "skull fracture/night terrors" - I find it hard to believe there wasn't some connection in his case.

Vampire Alice, if, by any chance, you're worried that being dropped as a baby might be the reason you're not not remembering your dreams now (or not dreaming, as far as you can tell), I could be wrong, but I think if you were remembering dreams before there's probably a good chance being dropped didn't do that particular kind of damage.  (I'm only guessing, based on what I read about head injuries in infants.)

11. eltravose profile image61
      eltravoseposted 13 years ago

I haven't dreamed in forever

12. profile image0
      Kathryn LJposted 13 years ago

I go through periods of 'not dreaming' too.  The others are right, we are dreaming but unable to remember them.  My periods of non dreaming happen when I am a) very tired.
                                b) don't not have time to sleep for more   
                                   than 6 hours.
                                c) am pre-occupied or upset.
      However, this is preferable to having night terrors so it's an ill wind and all that.  Your dreams will come back, try to relax.

13. skyfire profile image81
      skyfireposted 13 years ago

I think it means your mind is exhausted and don't have enough GPU left to process dreams.  tongue

14. Bill Manning profile image70
      Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I've had lots of times when I don't dream. I've gone years without any dreams at all. Frankly I love it when I don't dream, I get a good night's sleep. Don't worry about it.

15. The black mist profile image60
      The black mistposted 13 years ago

I think its because she isnt reaching a deep enough sleep to even dream at all

1. jennzie profile image71
        jennzieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually people can dream from the moment they fall asleep and everyone dreams through all stages of sleep- it's just during REM (rapid eye movement) sleep where you have the most detailed and the longest dreams. People also tend to remember REM dreams but not the non-REM ones so perhaps the reason some people can't remember their dreams is because they never reached that stage of sleep.

16. sagbee profile image56
      sagbeeposted 12 years ago

VampireAlice, what do you do on daily basis ?

Probably this way, we can help you?

17. profile image53
      ctwith3posted 11 years ago

I don't dream anymore either, and I used to remember at least half my dreams so I know I'm not just forgetting my dreams.
      I had a stroke, and I have Parkinson's Disease- my neurologist tells me that is why I don't dream.
      So, there are a number of reasons why someone doesn't dream.

18. johnakc profile image39
      johnakcposted 11 years ago

If I am not dreaming at all that means I am not sleeping properly.

I am not getting a good sleep.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)