How long it takes a hub to 'mature'.

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (27 posts)
  1. LarasMama profile image60
    LarasMamaposted 13 years ago

Repeatedly I see references by older hubbers to how long a hub takes to 'mature.'

Just wondering what the shortest and longest time for hub maturation are that you've had and what amount of time you should wait before deciding that a hub just isn't good enough to mature.

smile I'm coming up on five months so I'm hoping that soon some of my earlier reasonable hits might improve a little bit more!

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LarasMama, I don't think there's a single answer.

I just posted elsewhere that what is now my best performing Hub, which has earned nearly $200 so far in Adsense alone, barely  earned a dime for its first 15 months!  Virtually that whole $200 has been earned in the last 9 months.

I found the same thing with one of my websites:  it did nothing for a year, but is now the best performer of the lot.

Clearly, some of my other Hubs started earning much earlier, as my earnings have been on a steady upward curve ever since I joined (and not just because I've written more Hubs - until Christmas 2009, I averaged less than one new Hub a week).

1. Richieb799 profile image74
        Richieb799posted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is inspiring Marisa, thanks for sharing your story smile I'm sure once the search engines pick up all the keywords on the Hubtrailguide, there will be more traffic to my hubtrails too!

2. KeithTax profile image72
      KeithTaxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

At 16 your hub can drive; 18 vote; and 21 drink.

You want a hub to mature faster, backlink.

1. Spacey Gracey profile image39
        Spacey Graceyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In the UK my hubs can drink at 18- does that mean they will mature faster smile

2. darkside profile image65
    darksideposted 13 years ago

"Mature" is just a smokescreen.

What you've got to do is after you've figured out a keyword phrase and you're sure there's people searching for it, and there's advertisers paying decent coin for it, you write your hub to the best of your ability and then be patient.

In the meantime you do it all again.

The key ingredient is "patience". Maturity as a length of time will vary depending on factors that I can't even begin to list.

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is a superlative summation.

LarasMamaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the replies. Interesting about the 15 month one Marisa!

And I see your point Darkside.

Anytime I start to procrastinate about a hub I usually end up thinking "What if this is the hub that could get tons of hits but I miss out on 50% of those because I just published it too late." Then I go write another one! 100 hubs here I come... lol

LarasMama you sound like you are having the exact same crisis of faith I am having. I have used the same process of research to write all of my hubs so far, and there is a nagging part of me that thinks 'but what if that process is flawed' - but I've got to accept that yes it may be flawed and stick to my original plan which was 100 hubs using that approach, a long break for summer hols, then apply a different approach writing tons more hubs, while I watch and see what the other older hubs are doing.

LoL it's a bit like that.

However I can totally see that no matter what, if I keep doing what I'm doing I will make money. I could see that as a member of Amway too!

However, unlike Amway this doesn't feel like work and it's something I don't mind doing - for instance writing about games that I play makes me feel less guilty about playing them!

Edit: Just had a look at your profile. 96 hubs in two months! I thought I was going reasonable well but dayaammmm! Keep up the good work!

Thanks - by Friday I will have been here for 11 weeks and hopefully I'll have done 100 hubs by then. Once I get into the swing of it I can knock a few out quite quickly but I don't put anywhere near as much effort into them as you clearly put into yours. I started out wanting to do 'proper writing' - but I've realised that me & marketing have been having a love affair for years so we might as well stick together, make some money, and hopefully that will free me up to do something a bit more worthy with the spare time I have (or will hopefully have at some point in the future).

And what is Amway? I'm am a bit clueless about the online money making world.

It's actually a Multi Level Marketing scheme that was started back in the 50s. Basically sell stuff to your friends and take a cut of the profits. The more cynical would call it a pyramid scheme!

I've written an 1800 word hub on it, but I didn't know anyone in the world hadn't heard of Amway (seems nearly everyone has had a bad experience with them!) lol smile

1. Origin profile image60
                  Originposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've heard of Amway, and one of my old gf's tried getting me into Quickstar or whatever it was called, which is under Amyway's banner too.

Yep Quixtar. There are lots of different programs that allow you access - but it's all the same thing!

2. Instgtr profile image59
                    Instgtrposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I had an uncle who tried to get me into Amway years ago - When I asked him how much he was making a year he said " six figures"  I always wondered if that included the decimal point...

3. eltravose profile image60
    eltravoseposted 13 years ago

So would it affect me negatively to edit and revise a particular hub?

Depends. If it's getting few or no views, the only way it can go is up, right?

If you change your keywords or add more content that people are likely to look for, it might improve.

4. profile image0
    askpowersposted 13 years ago

revising and editing hub, it needs only when our hub doesn't contain effective material. so we make changes to make it up to the mark.

5. Wendy Krick profile image64
    Wendy Krickposted 13 years ago

I guess this means we should never delete a hub. Just find a way to improve it.

6. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I'm hoping some of mine will be like Marisa's one that took 15 months to mature. I've got loads of hubs that do absolutely nothing despite being backlinked (not a lot mind you!), but they are good hubs IMO in that they are comprehensive and contain a lot of useful content.
    Again they are probably not on greatly searched subjects even though they are quite high up in google.
    Maybe one day....

7. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

One of my hubs which normally gets 0 views has just been hit by 25 views all from the same search engine. That happens now and then. I suspect its being used as a school lesson which is great for the kids but not for me as they don't convert.

I never thought of that - although pretty sure that wont happen to me - they dont run school lessons on how to decorate a spongebob bedroom, or buying a climb and slide smile. Must be nice to be informative Izzy.

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The hubs you mention sound seasonal - most people decorate in the spring and buy garden toys in the summer. If they miss out this year, they'll be a hit next year - you wait and see!
        Mine will only do well if the whole world wants educated on minority subjects - which they don't sad
        I need to diversify more...

8. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

Most of mine are ready for retirement.

9. brettb profile image59
    brettbposted 13 years ago

My best hub has made $50 and it's only a month old. I have high hopes for this hub.

10. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

All down to keyword, backlinks, and competition...

If you have no competition and people are searching for your keywords then you get hits....

If there is a lot of competition then you need to become better than the competition through gaining backlinks and page rank so that you are higher in the search results, from what I can see a hubpage can achieve a pagerank of 2 or 3 fairly easily, if all of the competition on the front page of a google search are pagerank 5 and 6 then you will never get that front page, if they are all rank 0 or 1 and 2 then you have a good chance that your page will with back linking get on that page... that however will take a little time..

Some of my less competitive keywords are on the bottom of the first page of google already and I am receiving hits, if I get higher up the page I will get more hits....

Some of my hubs will never make it to page one of google as they are competing against high page rank .gov and .edu sites, but I have them to link subjects and provide links to my other hubs..

11. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

The strange thing is that I was involved with Amway back in the 80s, but I cannot for the life of me remember what I did with them. I remember going to seminars. I must have signed up with them. I remember selling Amway products to family and friends. I remember their stuff being expensive. I remember thinking that some of their products were the best ever - I never did find another product that could clean a car like theirs. But I can't remember getting paid, or actually being a rep, or in actual fact what happened during most of the 80s. This is without drugs, strokes or anything else that could be responsible for memory loss.
    I remember the 90s as if it was yesterday, and the 70s, but Amway came in the 80s.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)