Is Dog Training Essential for a Happy Dog?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (37 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Precious Williamsposted 13 years ago

Our dog is very happy, but then he's allowed to do what he wants. Do you believe in dog training?

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A dog doesn't require human contact to be happy. wink

1. Sab Oh profile image55
        Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

With the exception of feral dogs, yes they do.

2. Ruben Rivera profile image60
      Ruben Riveraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think the training is needed for the humans so they know how to take care of the dog.

2. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

a little disapline help, isnt always needed

3. Aiden Roberts profile image68
    Aiden Robertsposted 13 years ago

Dogs are very simple animals and are generally only happy when they are eating and sleeping; that said there are many reasons why a dog needs training for both himself and the humans he comes into contact with.

A dogs life can be miserable unless he is fulfilled, that fulfilment in domesticated dogs comes from human interaction and that interaction is pleasing his master. If he is not being led by a master sooner or later he will do something that is bad for himself or people.

Training has not got to be to working dog standards but it must give you the human some control over him before he reverts to type and follows his instict to hunt and kill; yes even the most stable of family pets have the potential if left to their own devices.

I am sure you are a responsible owner but don't leave anything to chance for his sake.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dogs are forced into domestication so humans can play god.

As it other wildlife and animals. hmm

1. Aiden Roberts profile image68
        Aiden Robertsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Strong view and I respect it, I do believe for any reationship to work it has to be beneficial to both.
        I assume the saying "a man forced against his will; is of the same opinion still" applies to dogs to.

Unfortunately I am unable to comment on the "playing God" thing as I am a none believer so not sure how to emulate him/she/it etc....

2. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Whats the alternative though? Roaming packs of wild dogs? They would become extinct in modern times, farmers would certainly be shooting them like foxes.

It may be viable to have packs of roaming dogs in the USA, seeing as you have plenty of space, but not in the UK - there is barely of inch of land which hasn't got a home or farm sitting on top of it. Since they banned fox hunting I see foxes walking around my area, there is one on my street every night. I was firmly against fox hunting, but seeing as they are now killing neighbourhood cats and throwing rubbish (garbage) all over the street - I can see the benefits. I like in the middle of a city, by the way, and personally would prefer not to have big packs of dogs looking for something small (like a child) to maul and eat.

I would also argue that some dogs are very happy when working, some breeds are in fact much happier when they are working.

In the UK working dogs are treated pretty damn well, I know a blind lady with a guide dog who couldn't be happier - he gets his days off where he can jump into the river, run around wrestling other dogs, or whatever else he wants. They get retired after a few years, they dont work until death.

Humans, on the other hand, now we really are forced into a lifestyle in which we lose our freedoms and work until we die. Dogs don't have it so bad, sometimes I would love to be a dog, they have easy lives. Humans started off living in caves, lighting fires, and drilling holes into their heads to get rid of headaches. Dogs and cats have had to evolve to adapt too, and getting pally with a human sugar mama or daddy is their best option.

To answer the OP, if training is the difference between having a house smelling like dog shit and not smelling like dog shit then it really is a no brainer. If you mean 'training' as in being taught to jump through hoops of fire or break dance, then no - they shouldn't be trained.

3. Sab Oh profile image55
        Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is beyond ridiculous to suppose that humans and dogs interact so humans can "play God." Dogs and humans have evolved together for tens of thousands of years out of mutual benefit.

1. allbreeds profile image58
          allbreedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And because of this evolving is the reason there are so many pet dogs.Its quite a natural thing.Dogs first followed man for food and he still does.Most dogs if let out will come back albeit eventually.Why ? because they have a need for humans as humans have a need for them.

2. profile image0
      Precious Williamsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm afraid it's much too late for that. He's now nine, had no training and frankly he's great with other people, other dogs and us.  He also had company every day of his life.  I also don't think they are simple souls either.  I know they say the average dog has the mind of a two year old, but I've seen the way my dog's mind works and it's far better than that  - very funny and very manipulative.

That's great but I feel youand your dog maybe the exception rather than the rule.

4. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

I don't think training of a dog is about "playing god". If dog lives in his own "house" outside at the backyard in the country and just barks at every alien face - one thing and another if he is forced to live in the apartment with working adults, with children(babies even) - he has to be highly trained to a lot of proper and useful habits - same as human beings. It does not come naturally and if you do not know how to train properly your dog, it will become a big nuisance if the dog is small, or a dangerous predator if the dog is big and strong. We have numerous examples when dogs kill children, damage property, disable people and just scare pants out of somebody! Dogs must be trained and trained properly! If you cannot do it- don't have a dog, buy a hamster or a rabit instead.

5. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Domestication of any animal is forced by human beings for their own amusement or need.

An indisputable statement of fact!

Had I have been around before domestication took place I may have been of a different opinion but we are were we are. Here in 2010 we are all products and victims of actions taken by our ancestors but we have to make the best of what we have today for the good of society.

It is of no consilation to a child that is mauled by a dog; that it is our own (human) fault . I posted earlier that training does reduce the chances of a dog reverting to type and yes I accept that some of the most highly trained dogs do break the rule. I stand by this opinion whilst respecting yours.

By the same token it is without doubt that training dogs to live alongside humans has been beneficial to the species as they are far more protected even if this has mean't suppressing some innate tendancies.

1. libby101a profile image59
        libby101aposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Our ancestors domesticated these animals. The dogs we have today desire human contact...for the "wild" portion was bred out of them and they've been humanized over the years. Dogs love human contact! There's nothing we can do about putting dogs back into the wild....because there is far too many...and most of them have become so adapted to human life they could not survive on their own....some dogs could...but most would not! It would be cruel to push these animals into the wild!

Training a dog helps them in many ways. For example...you teach your dog a command to stop and come back to you...your dog gets off the leash and is running toward the road....if you hadn't taught him the command to stop and come back the poor doggy might meet its end.

2. leahlefler profile image95
      leahleflerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

While it is probable that humans started the changes involved with domestication, the event is a genetic one. Domesticated dogs are domesticated, even without human interaction. They may go "feral," but they cannot be wild: it is a genetic mutation (or more than one mutation) responsible for the change.

Interestingly, one of the main candidate genes is responsible for a human genetic disorder called Williams Syndrome. The children affected by this disorder are extremely gregarious and charming (though there are negative effects from the genetic change, such as difficulty with abstract reasoning and cardiac issues).

6. Ms Chievous profile image66
    Ms Chievousposted 13 years ago

Tonight I am going to take my pooch to a training class.  She is basically a good dog but doesn't like to come when she is called or stay out of the road in front of our house.  I think this trainng will be good for both of us as the training will be training me on how to work with my dog.

Good luck and have fun, training sessions build up trust and respect so they are well worth it.

1. parkercoleman profile image60
        parkercolemanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We really do have to keep in mind the dog's basic nature as not only a pack animal, but also a scavenger. The evolution of man's being his order-barker (no pun, okay pun intended) is a natural one. Most dogs readily accept, with comfort, a leader who gives or leaves him food and are happier for it. And, as Aiden said, this is 2010.

I'd like to add, however, that being highly trained does not preclude an easy-going, comfortable relationship between a human and his or her dog. It can, and should, be a partnership in which the human is the dog's leader. Dogs are natural followers and will happily accept this order of things. The difference being, is some breeds will adapt more readily and happily to stringent (obedience and field trial) training and others will resent an authoritarian approach. The secret is to know your breed and love your dog. If you need your dog to perform a specific function, then be sure to choose the best breed for that task!

7. rugsdynamic profile image61
    rugsdynamicposted 13 years ago

Training a dog is good for both the owner and the pet. A dog that is wild can create havoc in a home especially if it is a large breed so simple sit, stay commands are good to teach.

8. anonimuzz profile image60
    anonimuzzposted 13 years ago

I think it's more essential for a happy dog owner. An untrained dog that causes trouble will be happy anyway. Its owner is the one who pays for the real consequences.

1. MisCook profile image60
      MisCookposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree with you anonimuzz, it is for a happy owner. The only problem is that people way to often get tired of their pets when they are untrained and they can end up being given away or worse, so I think it is a great idea to give your dog at least some basic training.

9. profile image0
    RFoxposted 13 years ago

If you look at wolf packs the alpha's always train the others for survival reasons. Any Canine species will instinctively look for a 'leader of the pack' and if one doesn't exist will take on that responsibility for themselves.

Some dogs, however, don't want the responsibility of being the pack leader and are much happier being told what to do. Depends on the personality of the pooch.

So I wouldn't say 'training' is essential for a dog's happiness but it is essential for survival reasons. In a domesticated situation if a dog bites a human then it usually ends up being put-down, no matter the cause of the situation. By training our dogs we are saving their lives.

As a side note: If you look at the history of the Canine species, we did not forcibly domesticate them. Wolves voluntarily forged relationships with our human ancestors. It was a symbiotic and mutually advantageous relationship. Just because a lot of us humans now live in apartments and not by the fireside in the wilderness and we chose to take our furry companions along for the ride does not mean they were 'forcibly domesticated'.

10. profile image0
    DoItForHerposted 13 years ago

Would you allow a child to do what he/she wanted because it made them happy? Sure, eating pop and potato chips for breakfast would make them happy, but would he/she be truly happy? When the child becomes a teenager, he/she may find happiness in breaking windows, but would he/she be truly happy vandalizing? I think not.

As responsible owners, we need to provide guidance in the form of training for our dogs to be truly happy.

What about formal training like sit, stay, come and more complex tricks like barking on command, fetching, etc? I'll use the analogy of children attending school. If we don't keep our children busy and learning, they will become hoodlums. Sure, they might grow up to appear happy, but would they be truly happy?

This is similar for dogs. Without some training, most will turn into doggy hoodlums.

Some dogs are more laid back and not as outgoing as others and don't require as much education and training to be comfortable and happy. Some dogs need training like they need water. No matter what you decide, training is a good thing and all of the educated dogs I have ever seen have been happier as a result.

11. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 13 years ago

Simple question requires a simple answer.

Yes.

If a dog doesn't know what it's supposed to do and not supposed to do, then it will constantly get into trouble, making for an unhappy dog.

1. allbreeds profile image58
      allbreedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But the dog constantly getting into trouble isnt the dogs fault its the owners .You cant correct a dog if it doesnt know what its doing wrong and have an option of doing right

12. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Yes it is. A dog with no direction is a stressed dog.

1. roxsilver profile image60
      roxsilverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree. They need "something to do."

13. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 13 years ago

I think dog's were just made happy, but if you want the owner to be happy, a little training will be necessary--starting with house training.

14. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

As a dog owner, mother and grandmother, I have found that training dogs and raising kids is similar, except that the dogs don't talk back or ask for designer clothes. smile In both cases, it's a case of setting down the rules, outlining the boundaries and enforcing both.

15. shape_shifter profile image60
    shape_shifterposted 13 years ago

In my opinion, absolutely not! My best friend, and possibly the smartest individual I have ever known was my brother, Kodi, a large Pit bull/ Chow/ Wolf Hybrid/ Husky mix who recently died at over 17 years old. From the time he was a small puppy, I looked him direcly in the eyes and spoke to him in complete, respectful sentences... Not the one word "commands" that most trainers utilize to program a dog into submissive behavior. As a result, Kodi could not only understand larger concepts, but he had an obvious grasp on much of the English language, and due to the trust and eye contact, much of the time he could be spoken to with just a look or hand gesture. He fought a large brown bear to protect our family, and had the foresight to lead the animal far away from us before it came into our line of sight, drug me out of the Strait of Juan de Fuca in the middle of the night, unconscious, then stayed with me till I awoke, and always stood post by our children anytime we asked him to. The pride this gave him was obvious in his eyes and his mannerisms. He was happy with a purpose. I firmly believe that formal training can benefit many dogs, but no systematic trining course could have given Kodi the happiness and dignity he possessed. If you want your friend to be happy, treat them with love and understanding. Treat them like part of the family, and that's exactly what they'll become.

16. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 13 years ago

Hey, DOG TRAINING is essential for a happy you and a happy you is essential for a happy dog!! big_smile big_smile big_smile

17. A.Wish profile image60
    A.Wishposted 13 years ago

Training your dog is very importan. The more your dog understands you the happier it is.

Training your dog is the best way to bond with your dog and your dog will enjoy your company a lot more.

18. tritrain profile image69
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

Dog training can be fun for a dog, especially since it involves reward and praise.

I would say "dog engagement" and fun stimuli is what makes for a really happy dog. 

Bored dogs are not happy dogs.

19. slock62 profile image59
    slock62posted 12 years ago

If you choose not to train your dog he will not be domesticated and will behave as dogs do in the wild. Dogs are not born to behave as humans would like but behave according to their nature.
    The problem with this is that it can create quite a problem. Your dog may be very happy chewing up your possessions and soiling wherever he chooses. He may be happy when seeing approaching people and may jump up to greet them or he may feel threatened and try to protect himself against danger.
    Our animals don't come with the understanding of our wants and needs nor are they to be expected to behave in a socially acceptable manner without some training.
    The choice is yours but a pet can create quite a disturbance without the proper training and guidance. Be a responsible pet owner or do not own pets can be the only options if a dog is tp live among humans.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)