Tips for Newbies

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Aficionada profile image78
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

I was rather slow in sharing my Hubs with Facebook, mainly out of a sense of shyness or awkwardness at tooting my own horn.  But every time I have shared one, I have seen an immediate upsurge in traffic, not only to the shared Hub but to others as well.

Also, I have gotten so excited about the new Suggest Links tool!  I am systematically going through my Hubs to add links, and ever since I have started this, my traffic has picked up dramatically.  A lot of the increase has come from within HP, I confess, but since the overall balance has always leaned slightly towards outside traffic, I'm happy with every increase in traffic.

So my Tip for Newbies would be: Don't wait as long as I did to start sharing your Hubs wherever you can, and by all means use the Suggest Links tool (absolutely outstanding for people like me who haven't learned about SEO stuff just yet).

In addition to the rather obvious "Read the FAQ's" and "Study the Learning Center" tips, what brief nuggets of advice would you experienced Hubbers give to the Newbies among us?

1. profile image0
      Good Intentionsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Im a newbie and dont know what you are talking about!  Still, I will learn soon.

1. Aficionada profile image78
        Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

GI, I think that when you start publishing Hubs it will become clearer.  At the bottom of a published Hub is a button that says "Share" (along with several other ones).  When you click on it, you can share information about your Hub with Twitter, Digg, Facebook, and other sites.  (You have to be logged in to them at the same time, or at least you do to Facebook.)

Does that help you understand the Share business better?

2. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

Try everything..........

The more you do the better....

1. LarasMama profile image60
      LarasMamaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Whenever you get discouraged about your current hubs, use that as momentum to write a new one. The hub you wrote today might be your top earner in a year! (Marisa said she had a hub that did nothing for 15 months then suddenly took off!)

3. Anesidora profile image60
    Anesidoraposted 13 years ago

Go straight to work. Have a specific time every day when you write a hub. Not check your hubs, or your earnings, or browse through the news, or researching about writing, and for goodness sake stay away from the forums, until after you have written your hub for the day.

Straight to work, you can play around afterwards.

You can learn all you can learn, but if you don't start writing hubs it won't matter one bit.

4. veejay23 profile image60
    veejay23posted 13 years ago

Thanks Aficionada, I am also new with Hub's but enjoying it to the fullest. SEO seems to have been made easy here comparing with what I have previously learned on the net. The latest tool I use is emailing my hub to my contacts, to yahoo, gmail or hotmail.

5. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Don't forget - without a proper keyword research it is a hope and pray exercise smile

1. Kudlit profile image64
      Kudlitposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Amen to that Misha.

6. profile image0
    eternaltreasuresposted 13 years ago

my advice to new hubbers

DON'T GIVE UP, keep on making quality hubs because you never know which one will be popular. you can link all your hubs especially those that are related. once you have a hub which gains much page views, this is where you place the links of your other hubs which have less page views.

Participate also on the hubpages forum, votes, ratings, comments, this way you get noticed and you will have followers which read your hubs then you have views which keep on increasing....

put some quality pictures in your hubs, some people would like to link to this pictures and you will get a nice traffic on your hubs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)