New ePN Rules on referrals

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Satsuma Pottery profile image60
    Satsuma Potteryposted 13 years ago

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone has seen this message on the eBay Partner Network blog:

http://www.ebaypartnernetworkblog.com/e … -than-302/

I know that it mainly refers to the use of "cloaking" eBay links, which Hubpages does not do, but will HubPages be implementing any way of weeding out the "non-referring" traffic?

This can be caused by so many different things, it might be hard to track, but could lead to your ePN account being TERMINATED!

I will be removing all eBay modules from my hubs for now - just in case!

2. relache profile image74
    relacheposted 13 years ago

I don't think you clearly comprehended what eBay was saying about links and how they work on HubPages.  I will say this:  with all the eBay capsules removed from your Hubs, you won't be earning anything, and that can get your EPN account closed for inactivity.

All my links to eBay from my Hubs are in capsules, and thus are not cloaked nor redirected in ways that eBay forbids.

Satsuma Potteryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know the hubpages links are not cloaked, but If a visitor who has referrals turned off in his browser lands on your site and clicks the eBay capsule, then this is against the new TOS.

The referrer can get blocked for various reasons:

A person who bookmarks your site and returns later via the bookmark doesn't send a referer.
      A person who clicks a link in an email doesn't send a referer.
      In Opera, you can simply untick a check box to omit the referer from all page requests.
      Internet Explorer 6 didn't send the referer when a link was opened in a new window
      In Firefox, you can change a setting in the about:config file, or install any of several add-ons that let you blank the referer.
      You can even spoof the referer. You can make it look like you're coming from Google or Microsoft or the CIA.
      Many corporate firewalls and proxy servers strip out the referer.
      Some antivirus programs strip out the referer.
      Some Javascript links can cause the referer to be dropped
      In some browsers, some redirects can cause the referer to be dropped
      Bots normally don't send the referer.
      I've read (but haven't verified) that sometimes links in Flash or Java applets can cause the referer to be dropped.
      At least one Firefox addon that has nothing to do with referers causes the referer to be dropped.
      Apparently 302 redirects sometimes causes the referer to be dropped.
      Links from a site using SSL (https) won't send the referer

And HubPages is not my only ePN site, I have many others using BANS and phpBay that now contain fixes to check if there is a blank referrer and then stop the user going to eBay.

2. relache profile image74
      relacheposted 13 years ago

Much of what you have pointed out are actions taken by visitors that are entirely outside the control of the person who built the web page. 

How do you propose that someone building a Hub or web page takes control of or effects how an individual sets their browser or takes actions that aren't directly involved with your web page?

1. profile image0
        Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, relache EPN expects you to monitor your traffic carefully and not send them traffic from pages you don't own. I'm no expert on any of this and thus, only use Ebay on hubs now. I figure they know what they are doing with respect to all of this.

3. Whitney05 profile image85
      Whitney05posted 13 years ago

Even if you remove the capsules in the hubs, your websites still fall under the same TOS, so you could still suffer the same consequences with your website. If you're that worried about it, you should remove it from everything.

I agree with relache, there's nothing you can do about the visitor.

Even if you remove all ebay on hubpages, you still have them on your site, and there's nothing you can do to prevent it from happening there.

4. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

I've already sent the HP team the info from the Ebay blog. I'm waiting to hear from them. They are really the only ones who can address this issue.

5. sunforged profile image71
      sunforgedposted 13 years ago

I dont see the issue - the post is regarding search engine behavior ( and how we intentionally subvert it )  not browser behaviour.

Does HP use 302 redirects?

hxtp://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?campid=530000002&customid=little-black-bikini&toolid=10013&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2FNEW-Little-Girls-bikini-Black-Flwr-Hanky-Sz10-4518_W0QQitemZ370377636284QQcategoryZ49080QQcmdZViewItem

Thats an HP ebay link - seems fine to me (withid changed)

1. profile image0
        Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sunforged I was concerned with things like referral links - that I use to link to other people's hubs. Those are redirects I believe. But I think the right kind.

I hope you're right and it's nothing to worry about. I'm going back to writing hubs.

1. sunforged profile image71
          sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are using a referral link to redirect to HP not to redirect to ePn

6. sunforged profile image71
      sunforgedposted 13 years ago

I see no relevance to the OP's statements and HP/ePn link behaviour

I would love to see know how it was relevant

7. Whitney05 profile image85
      Whitney05posted 13 years ago

I don't think that it really affects us here, but if it did, we'd have problems all around the board wouldn't we? Meaning, our personal websites and here?

I guess I'm confused as to how we can control who finds us in searches and what those people have done.

Satsuma Potteryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If someone bookmarks your Hub, returns to that hub via the bookmark and then clicks an ePN link, no referrer is sent and therefore you are running the risk of having your ePN account for not sending a visitor with this referrer information.

It is totally relevant IMHO, but do agree that we have no control over the searcher/visitor/browser etc.

1. sunforged profile image71

false

2. sunforged profile image71

false

3. MyWebs profile image77
          MyWebsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If someone was to bookmark your hub and then load the hub from that bookmark no referrer info would be passed to hubpages.com for that viewing of your hub. Once they clicked the eBay link then your hub's URL would still show up as the referrer to eBay as long as nothing else is being used to block this data from being sent.

Referrer information that is passed to a web server only includes URL data for the previous page that the click came from, never more than 1 level deep. eBay's web servers have absolutely no way to know how a user landed on your hub without the use of JavaScript that captures this data on each hub and pass it along as GET vars in the URL. I see nothing in a hub's code to indicate this is being done.

If this referrer information by default did extend beyond the previous page viewed then it would present serious privacy issues. As a webmaster I would then be able to view your browsing history including some things you probably wouldn't want me to know about.

I can envision ways the hub's referrer data could be forwarded along to eBay with some custom PHP code and GET variables in the URL with the help of each web site. But thats a bit of work and I would bet there would be legal and privacy issues to contend with.

1. profile image0
            eternaltreasuresposted 13 years agoin reply to this

good point and important one regarding referrals.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)