Ive made my biggest effort - so far and would like some observations

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (19 posts)
  1. salt profile image60
    saltposted 13 years ago

Ive made my biggest effort in writing this and know that there is still a bit of editing and moving around of pictures and adding credits and links to go, yet I would like someone elses opinion .. please be gentle with your criticism,.. as I am a bit temporamental about this one.. thanks.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Hubtrails-Capstone-Australia

1. salt profile image60
      saltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ive made a couple of changes to the pictures and still need to update the hubtrails title and work on dirivative hubs.

2. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

Salt you are allowed to post a link in this forum

1. salt profile image60

just added it !

3. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

WOW
    Very informative and well written.
    However I think you could have made at least 2 and possibly 3 hubs out of this.
    From the Hubtrail perspective a couple of thing I noted.
    1) it is not tagged correctly and would not really matter with all the tags you have since HP only sees the first 15. meaning that if the hubtrail tags are not in the first 15 they will not be in the feed.
    2) this hub should have the the tag hubtrail-australia
    3) through trial and error I have learned that using "Hubtrail capstone" in the title actually seems to dilute traffic. It can just as easily be title Australian History and fun facts or something similar to maintain your keyword searchability.
    the title can be changed if you choose to do this. Darkside has a hub explaining why the title is actually more relevant than the URL.
    Sorry if this seems harsh. I am just trying to be helpful.

1. salt profile image60

thanks, what im doing now is reorganising the photos and looking for derivative hubs so I can then reduce the content on this hub, yet add the extra hubs.

4. salt profile image60
    saltposted 13 years ago

thanks so much, wasnt harsh at all. I know it is a long hub and I have lots of hubs I can make from this one. I am concerned about layout and photos etc.. do they suit or are they not quite right.

I have a few to change around.. surfing and outback ones plus add a little better layout.

The tags comment was and is important and I appreciate it greatly.

I think I need to still edit and proof at least one capsule.

5. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

as an after thought it is also helpful to all the hubtrail writers if you include a hubtrail rss I am glad that you have decided to contribute to the hubtrail project.
    Your pictures are beautiful. they are causing some blank spots that to me makes the page seem a little amateurish but that is totally just my opinion and I am by no means an expert at page construction.

1. salt profile image60

Thanks, I appreciate it... I was looking to try and improve the layout. Your comments are appreciated and I need to find a way to edit them to make it better.

I was planning to make a couple of hubs off this one, and that will help decrease the content so I can make a link..

6. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Salt,

I'll agree with Ohma on much of what she said. The hub is definitely too long. Making 2 or 3 other hubs would be great and link them together. They will become more valuable as a set of Australia travel hubs.

Keywords are important, too many can hurt your results, from what I've been told. The average is between 9-15 depending on the length of the hub. When you break this one down into more hubs, then you should have 9-15 keywords on each.

The title is extremely important and can be changed at anytime. The URL is unchangeable. Putting Hubtrail or even Capstone in the title is irrelevant and a waste of character spacing that could be used for more valuable words(keywords and URL association).

You do have some pictures that are not showing up. You also have some pictures made smaller and centered?? I'm not sure why you did that. Pictures should be either full size or small and to the right or left of text writing or other capsules.

With a picture centered at quarter's width, leaves too much white space on both sides of the picture. Creates non-fluid flowing hub when the viewer comes across that section. The pictures are great tools to add to hubs, but Ohma is right it looks a bit amateurish.

7. SteveoMc profile image71
    SteveoMcposted 13 years ago

Hub is too long.   I love it.   Very well written.  Way too long.

I think that the photos are wonderful.   However, I would place them a little differently.   The photos placement does not seem to match the Facts capsule.   I would rather see the beach photos alongside the text especially the top one.   I personally like to glance at the photos when I read the text.

For me the two most interesting (excluding vegemite) capsules are the food, and the Flora and Fauna.   A lot more detail is needed in the food one.  I would have followed a link or two in that capsule if there had been one. 

Love the exposure to all the unusual words and phases and loved that part. 

Great writing, I will strive to write as well.

1. salt profile image60

thanks appreciated greatly.. I want to do an individual hub on the food one and on others to link them. Will look at the photos again tomorrow and want to still update and improve.

8. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I think you did a great job at putting all of this information together and writing an engaging hub. However, you need to go back through it with an eye towards grammar and spelling.

But great job!

1. salt profile image60

thanks will do, some words may be australian spelling instead of american, so you might think they are errors.. colour and a few others have the u where american english doesnt, but Im sure there are a few spelling improvements to be added.

9. Marisa Wright profile image84
    Marisa Wrightposted 13 years ago

Salt, you'll need the tag "hubtrail-australasia" to get picked up by the RSS feeds.

I agree, get rid of the word "Capstone".  And run a spell checker!

1. salt profile image60

Thanks will do, was only publishing to get feedback at this point as when you look at something enough, you dont see what needs to be done. Marissa, thanks as always. If I had a special award it would go to you... thats not trying to be fascicious, I mean it. You are always there with the right answers. Appreciated greatly. (same to casgil and ohma!)

10. salt profile image60
    saltposted 13 years ago

as a further question, you may have answered this, but for some reason I didnt get it.. does the hubtrails word in the url help traffic or not. In the title too, does this help or hinder?

11. salt profile image60
    saltposted 13 years ago

I just printed out the beginning of my big hub and can see what needs to be changed. Break it down into 3 hubs and improve the pictures at the beginning and Im pretty sure it will work well.

Add links across the 3 hubs and add 10 links to other pages and relevant travel information sites.

Thats my information to me.

12. Aiden Roberts profile image67
    Aiden Robertsposted 13 years ago

A bit long but very interesting.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)