Eat, Drink & Be Hubbalicious - contest starts June 1st!

Jump to Last Post 1-46 of 46 discussions (94 posts)
  1. Jason Menayan profile image61
    Jason Menayanposted 13 years ago

Hey everyone,

You might have noticed that a link to the upper-right and on your My Account page point you to the Food topic page. The Eat, Drink and Be Hubbalicious Contest begins a week from today, Tuesday, June 1st!

As you might surmise from the name, page its hosted on, and my not-too-subtle hints in this past week's newsletter, this contest will focus on all those things we love to eat and drink. Not only recipes, though: the first week, for instance, will focus on Cooking Ingredients, while week 2 will be dedicated to Cooking Techniques. Take a look at the Topic Calendar to see what's coming (yes, you can begin working on Hubs for these as soon as you'd like, but you must publish them for the first time in the right 24-hour window).

There are three new things with this contest, compared to March's Helpful Health Hubs contest:

* We will have a Daily Puzzle every day in the Forums. I will put out a culinary clue and the first person who guesses it correctly (you're entitled 3 guesses each) will get the equivalent of 3 Hubs' worth of entries into the Daily Drawing for $50 for the day. I'll post an example soon. The Daily Puzzle will get posted at about noon in a new thread.

* The countries eligible has broadened: see the Official Rules. In short, if you don't live in a small number of jurisdictions that are ineligible, and you live in a country where you can accept and handle a PayPal payment, then you're eligible! We're excited to have the broadest swathe of Hubbers possible to participate in this contest.

* You can publish up to 5 eligible Hubs per day (instead of 3, from before). So, for you power publishers, there will be a greater chance to win the Daily Drawing.

Again, you will be able to participate both in the contest and in the HubMob if you like. You will just have to follow the usual HubMob instructions as posted by Princessa, and then categorize your Hubs correctly for each day you would like to enter and make sure it's published at the right time. Watch for Princessa's HubMob post in the Forums.

Questions? Ask them here so we can all start on June 1st at noon with every bit of confidence! smile

1. indian cooking profile image62
      indian cookingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's awesome! If i win or not does not matter. At least this would give me some extra push i need to reach 100 hubs.

2. profile image52
      liriaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow! It's a great thing that you decided to make use of this forum to promote such an opportunity to share everything and anything about food and other related topic. I would surely like to join in - I might learn some cooking techniques from all of you guys.

3. Mama Sez profile image63
      Mama Sezposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What a great welcome back treat for an absentee hubber like me.  I will surely be busy hubbing again.  Thank you Hubpages smile

4. creativelycc profile image63
      creativelyccposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This sound like a lot of fun!  Another one of my favorite things to do is cooking and I'm already working on a hub for one of my favorite Italian dishes.  Count me in!

5. Angela Harris profile image66
      Angela Harrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just to clarify, we can "start a new hub" by posting it on the site now. And don't hit the 'publish' button until the appropriate 24 hour contest day? Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks. And loving the contest!

Jason Menayanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you can begin working on a Hub now, but don't hit that Publish Now button (even for a second!) until the right 24-hour window. You can leave them unpublished in your account until then.

1. Angela Harris profile image66
          Angela Harrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cool beans, thanks again! Back to hubbing!

2. akirchner profile image91
    akirchnerposted 13 years ago

Sounds like a winner!

3. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

This sounds like a Contest I can get into!!! I have looked at the schedule for the weeks and have decided on the weeks I am most interested in.
    Being back to work full-time, limits my time here, but I do plan to get started already.
    Thanks Hub Team!

1. wyanjen profile image71
      wyanjenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thats' a good problem to have
      wink

good for you. But, we'll miss you on the house boat.

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

exciting!! wow, HP will be one great big cookbook!

this is great. thanks for posting early. big_smile

5. dohn121 profile image81
    dohn121posted 13 years ago

I really want to enter regardless, but is there any way I can enter a pre-existing/already published hub?

1. profile image0
      pinkyleeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I was wondering the same thing

2. Adamgreen profile image61
      Adamgreenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can't enter a hub that's already been published, you can prepare hubs for entry on the days outlined, though. Good luck!

6. dutch84 profile image60
    dutch84posted 13 years ago

This is awesome. Everyone loves food, so what a great way to attract more readers!

1. rebekahELLE profile image85

if it's like last time, no, it has to be entered between a 24 hour period on the date of topic. I'm sure it's explained in the official rules.

That's correct, rebekahELLE. It must be first-published within a specified 24-hour window for each topic, so already published Hubs are not eligible.

2. N. Ramius profile image73
        N. Ramiusposted 13 years ago

Maybe I'll win this time.

3. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 13 years ago

So is someone living in Spain allowed to enter? Paypal is no problem here.

Looking at the Official Rules, it seems that way to me. smile

4. Jason Menayan profile image61

I'd like to draw attention to our judges panel for the contest, some of the best food bloggers and restaurant critics out there!

Jules Clancy
        Blogger, Stone Soup

John Birdsall
        SFoodie Editor, SF Weekly

Phil Vettel
        Restaurant Critic, The Chicago Tribune

Joy Wilson
        Blogger, Joy the Baker

Tracey Wilhelmsen
        Blogger, Tracey's Culinary Adventures

These folks both know food, and they know how to write about it! Be sure to put your best foot forward and write some amazing stuff; only the best will be presented to our panel of judges for their perusal...

1. IzzyM profile image87
          IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Wow!
          Pity I know a lot more about health than I do about food LOL

1. profile image0
            shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Same here Izzy! lol

2. Jason Menayan profile image61

Here's a sample of a Daily Puzzle clue:

What is this food?

http://imgur.com/aV3nh.jpg

rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"The Daily Puzzle:  In an appropriately-named Forum thread posted at noon (PT) every day, a food-related puzzle will be posted. The first participant to solve the puzzle correctly, in the body of a forum post in the same thread, will be granted 3 additional entries in the day's Daily Drawing, as if 3 eligible Hubs had been published."

so the entry for the daily drawing would be for that day? the one that begins at noon?

here is a handy foxclock add-on if you want to have times handy in your status bar. I downloaded it during the last contest and it's very nice to glance at the bottom of the screen and see the time.
            https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1117/

1. Princessa profile image81
              Princessaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that link rebekahELLE.  I've just downloaded the clock, it is a great addition for the contest and also personally as I always have trouble figuring out the time to call relatives around the world!

2. Jason Menayan profile image61

A contest day begins on noon of that day (Pacific time, as always) and ends at 11:59am the subsequent day. The drawing for that contest day happens after that day has closed, and will include the winner of the Daily Puzzle that occurred during that contest period.

So, on June 1st at noon, Day 1 starts and Beans & Grains Ingredients Hubs can be published. At around that time, I'll post the Daily Puzzle for June 1st in the Forums, too. On June 2nd at 11:59am, Day 1 closes, and there will be a drawing for the Daily Drawing winner. The Daily Puzzle winner will get 3 extra entries in the Daily Drawing.

3. IzzyM profile image87
          IzzyMposted 13 years ago

spare ribs?

Those would be some gangrenous spare ribs... wink

Nope!

1. barryrutherford profile image75
              barryrutherfordposted 13 years agoin reply to this

cryptic mmmmm

someones colonoscopy photos

4. wesleycox profile image69
          wesleycoxposted 13 years ago

Lettuce

Nope!

5. IzzyM profile image87
          IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Well...the picture is green-ish..if not lettuce some other green thing...like a close-up photo - sideways - of a green flower. Or part of a green flower?
          No, it's a clam! Seafood.

6. Marisa Wright profile image83
          Marisa Wrightposted 13 years ago

Cucumber?

You've got it!

Here's the source picture: Flickr.

The first week will have visual clues like this one, and the rest of month will have text clues.

Nice job, Marisa - good eye!

7. IzzyM profile image87
          IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Wow! That did not look like a cucumber. Kudos Marissa!

8. Beth100 profile image68
          Beth100posted 13 years ago

This is going to be tantalizing fun!  Like the visual clues too Jason!  mmmmm....foooooddddd... lol

9. Zsuzsy Bee profile image86
          Zsuzsy Beeposted 13 years ago

Thank you hubpages Team. It looks like we're going to have a busy  month of June.

10. profile image0
          Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

To be perfectly honest, this is my cup of tea.
          I am slightly curious about the foodie competitors.
          -muahahahahaha-

big_smile

11. habee profile image92
          habeeposted 13 years ago

This is awesome! I can hardly wait!!

12. AEvans profile image71
          AEvansposted 13 years ago

Oh Boy! I am up for a contest how exciting! smile

13. Pearldiver profile image67
          Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Oh great.... The Apron comes out of retirement hmm

What regional sector have you included NZ and Australia in?

What restaurants are bidding for our original recipes and Will royalties be involved? lol

14. soni2006 profile image75
          soni2006posted 13 years ago

I think India is in the list of eligible countries now. Paypal is working over here.

I am ready for the contest, need to tie up my shoes now.

15. Research Analyst profile image73
          Research Analystposted 13 years ago

Great contest, I love to eat so its a perfect creative inspirational idea.

16. lxxy profile image60
          lxxyposted 13 years ago

Perhaps I shall dish on about alien cuisine... wink

1. Haunty profile image73
            Hauntyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol, please do. I love recipes from authentic sources.

17. dohn121 profile image81
          dohn121posted 13 years ago

Klingon peaches???  lol  I kill me big_smile

18. lxxy profile image60
          lxxyposted 13 years ago

I'll get right on it....tomorrow. wink

19. lelanew55 profile image65
          lelanew55posted 13 years ago

I have a question to Jason Manayan. I have a question. The first week's title Ingredients, what about the ingredients? What are we supposed to write about? Is it how to prepare the ingredients or what? I am a bit puzzled?

If you look at the Topic Calendar on the contest page, you'll see a day-by-day breakdown of categories. For instance, on June 10th, you can publish Hubs on either barbecuing or grilling. You must not publish for the first time any hubs on barbecuing or grilling, however, before noon Pacific on Thursday, June 10th, and no later than 11:59 Pacific on Friday, June 11th.

For clarification on ingredients vs cooking techniques, etc.

The first week's topics are under the umbrella of Ingredients so Hubs should not include recipes, but they should include information and advice about the ingredients themselves, how to select them, how to store and prepare them, and possibly what sort of dishes they'd be appropriate for. (This is not a complete list, just some examples)

So, for June 4th, one of the possible topics is Meat & Poultry. You should not write recipes including meat and poultry (recipes are for week 3), but rather talk about the different varieties of meat and poultry, the nutritional benefits and flavor profiles of them, how to select and store them, etc.

20. liswilliams profile image40
          liswilliamsposted 13 years ago

I don't think S. Africa gets pay pal yet, even so I'll give you guys a few foodie hubs outside of the contest.This is right up my street.

1. tonymac04 profile image72
            tonymac04posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Paypal doesn't pay out in South Africa, though, of course, they will accept your money from here! It's a pity that this makes us ineligibloe for this contest, as there are quite a few of South African writers who have food-related Hubs and are interested to write them - you, me, JustRodney, just to name three of us!
            We'll just have to do our foodie Hubs outside of the contest. Pity about that!

We've tried to be as inclusive as possible. Maybe PayPal will eventually be extended to South Africa, too, so our South African Hubbers can participate in future contests.

HubMob will be running the same topics for the entire month of June, so you can participate unofficially. And remember, the real value of participating in our contests is the long-term value of the Hubs you've published. smile

21. katiem2 profile image59
          katiem2posted 13 years ago

This is a fantastic idea and I guess I'll just have to show off a few of my cooking skills...  Perfect timing, everyone loves to cook in the summer time.... Looking forward to some great tips and techniques.   Thanks and Peace smile

barryrutherfordposted 13 years ago

I am still stumped as to why so many have already "posted food hubs " already, surely they wont count it has to start from the 1st June  right ? tongue

1. Marisa Wright profile image83
              Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I noticed that too, Barry.  You're absolutely right, the only Hubs that count are the ones which are published in the right category and sub-category, on the exact day for that topic.

So anyone who's publishing food Hubs now is missing a great opportunity.

2. wyanjen profile image71
            wyanjenposted 13 years ago

I have a suggestion:

If there was a 24 hour countdown clock for each day's topic, there would be less confusion (at least on my part) about time zone conversion.
            I do have my little postie note stuck on my monitor, but it seems so low tech.

big_smile

There will be one - Fawntia built it! smile

Thats good because I as you know will be posting from Australia we are 10 hours +ahead of Greenwich Mean TIme (GMT)

2. wyanjen profile image71
                wyanjenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Awesome.
                big_smile
                I'm not even sure what time it is in my own zone sometimes. Time flies when you're staring at a monitor

3. soni2006 profile image75
            soni2006posted 13 years ago

Frankly speaking, I am not clear about the timings.

"the day's topic begins at noon (PT) that day and continues until 11:59 a.m. the subsequent day. "

So what is the noon PT time according to PST time clock, check here: http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.in/time-zo … ific-time/

Is there anyone who can help?

1. Marisa Wright profile image83
              Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Soni, it's very simple. You don't need to worry about trying to calculate time differences.

When the contest starts, just come to HubPages and look at the contest page.  It will tell you what day it is (their time) and what the current topic is.  Last time, it was always updated accurately so I'm sure it will be this time.

1. soni2006 profile image75
                soni2006posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks a lot Marisa.

2. SiddSingh profile image60
              SiddSinghposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Soni,

PT is GMT minus 7, and IST is GMT plus 5.30. This means that IST is 12.30 hrs PLUS PT.

Put it simply, when it is 12.00 Noon according to PT (on say, Sunday), it will be 00.30 (half past midnight) on Monday in India (IST).

I hope it is clear now big_smile

It is a good window for anyone based in India.

Thanks SiddSingh. It's all clear now.

4. Purple Perl profile image48
            Purple Perlposted 13 years ago

I am ready to dive in! Glad that Indians like me can take part this time.smile

But Purple Perl could you please tell me if Paypal is working fine in India. HP is only paying via Paypal and there were some problems going on with Paypal and RBI (Reserve Bank of India) since last 3 to 4 months. The issue has been resolved or not?

1. SiddSingh profile image60
                SiddSinghposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Soni,

The issue has been very amicably resolved - it was but a temporary glitch.

There are absolutely no issues as of now - I have been using Paypal regularly - and it is working just fine.

Thanks SiddSingh.

2. Purple Perl profile image48
                Purple Perlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Soni,

Yes, I agree with SiddSingh. Paypal is no longer an issue. I received payments last month.

5. profile image0
            Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

"a great chef is a patient one." -Me.
            Am looking forward to this competition, without the Bravo TV commercials. big_smile

6. Princessa profile image81
            Princessaposted 13 years ago

Almost ready to make the HubMob post for the week. 

Those who want to take part in the Weekly HubMob and qualify to enter the contest please DO make sure that your hubs are posted on the right frame time for the daily subtopic. 

Those of you who don't qualify for the contest, remember that you can always join in the fun via the Weekly HubMob... I'll be waiting there for you for  a Hubbalicious week/month smile

Thanks a lot Princessa. You are always a great help and support.

and you have always been a great HubMobster Soni smile

Thank you Princessa.

2. barryrutherford profile image75

What time would that be for me I think we are nine hours ahead here in Brizzie Australia or does it not matter fore me ?

I am a bit confused about times as well.  I am in France (GMT+1) so it can get a bit complicated sad

Better to have a good read at the contest rules as it is very important to post your hub within the frame time.

It might be an idea to wait until the "The Daily Puzzle" is posted by Jason every day to be sure that you are in a correct time frame.

Yes that will be a great idea.

7. profile image0
            khmohsinposted 13 years ago

Hey.. how to enter.. please tell me...

1. lelanew55 profile image65
              lelanew55posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just click on the blue "contest" on top od your hub page and it will give you all the info, that you need.

8. kirstenblog profile image79
            kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I will be having a look as I actually have a summer recipe hub in mind anyway. The light in the kitchen last evening was pretty god for making my veggies look yummy big_smile. So as my camera was easily at hand I took some pics and figure it could make a hub. I am not clear if a recipie hub with pics of the food as its being done (to tempt the belly wink) would fit for this first weeks contest? I assume I can publish anytime in the first week of June? I will go read some more on this so I don't miss the chance to enter the contest big_smile

Kirstenblog: No, recipes aren't the topical focus until the 3rd week, and even then, you must publish according to the Topic Calendar on the contest page. The first week is about ingredients. Please see the contest page for an explanation about what goes in an ingredients Hub.

If the Hub you've discussed is a set of vegetarian recipes, then you should publish it no earlier than noon on June 21st and no later than 11:59 a.m. on June 22nd. And make sure it's categorized correctly! smile

9. profile image0
            MJoyceposted 13 years ago

getting ready to hit published on my hub......

10. rebekahELLE profile image85

exciting to be starting a new contest. thanks for giving us ideas for each week's theme. I just read over the rules and noticed there is no criteria as to what should be included as last time. it simply says it should be unique from other HubPages and web pages.
            I am assuming we should include information like last time, videos, links, images, etc? (sorry if this was already addressed in this thread, I didn't read through all of it.)

good luck to everyone. it's a fun ride. smile

1. rmcrayne profile image91
              rmcrayneposted 13 years agoin reply to this
                rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thanks rm. I even read that and missed it!  smile

Judges will be looking for engaging writing, accurate information and excellent presentation, with judicious use of images (especially your own!), video, tabular information, links and other rich media elements available too.

you're welcome princessa!
                it's nice to glance down and see what time it is around the world.

11. calicoaster profile image76
            calicoasterposted 13 years ago

This sounds like fun. The world has so much diversities everywhere, right from the places, people and culture to the varieties in food. I was traveling plenty of places since past two weeks and will be heading to Germany this weekend. The food topic for the June contest and hubmob is surely gonna be enriched with the world class flavors and delicacies. I wish all the best to everyone here!! smile.. Chow chow!! big_smile

12. Jason Menayan profile image61

It's 12:30 am June 1st Pacific Time, so there's about 11 1/2 hours to go before the contest begins and your first eligible Hubs should be published!

Note: We will have a countdown timer on the contest page that gives you an approximate amount of time you have left to publish Hubs on the topic for the day (see what it will look like below - it is just an example snapshot). You can use the linked topic in that same countdown timer box as a shortcut to start a correctly-categorized Hub.

See you in about 11 1/2 hours for the first Daily Puzzle, as well! (It will not be in this thread, but in a new thread with an appropriate title)

http://imgur.com/lleAm.jpg

13. abidareacode profile image67
            abidareacodeposted 13 years ago

I came to know about this contest only now.But wish to post some hubs on the topic on coming days.

14. Pamela99 profile image90
            Pamela99posted 13 years ago

I am confused about the date/time due for the hub contest.  I printed the topics off with the dates when we first started.  Now it seems the days don't always match.  Does 12:00 PST start the day for the topic listed for that date?  I wonder if all the hubs I wrote are even in the contest because I don't think I understood the date.  Now they are listed with the day I noticed today so maybe that will help but I wrote one on sweet potatoes posting in probably around noon first before I saw the day calendar.

The Topic Calendar shows the day at which each contest day starts at noon; the contest day's topic finishes the next day at 11:59am (all times Pacific).

If you are wondering if any particular Hub was included in any particular day's contest, I'm happy to check for you. Just email me the specifics.

15. strutzas profile image60
            strutzasposted 13 years ago

Great post! it looks very fun, everyone loves food.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
          Necessary
          HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
          LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
          Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
          AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
          HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
          HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
          Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
          CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
          Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
          Features
          Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
          Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
          Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
          Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
          Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
          VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
          PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
          Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
          MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
          Marketing
          Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
          Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
          Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
          Statistics
          Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
          ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
          Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
          ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)